• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NewWorldOrder said:
15 hours ago, paperheart said:

anxiously awaiting S-O-T's rant against critics :wishluck:

Who is SOT?

So coy.  :baiting:

If memory serves, didn't you have Venom as your forum avatar at one point?

11 minutes ago, kimik said:
1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

:applause:...obviously, I'm rooting for this movie.

We might be looking at another Suicide Squad situation.  Critics were "meh".  Audience were "yay".

Critics are mostly geriatrics and Gen Xers.

The viewers that drive films like SS, Transformers, etc. are younger and have a different view/taste for what they want in a film. I am not saying better or worse, just different

but do younger people even like Venom that much (before the movie)?  I feel like the sweetspot for Venom fans (as opposed to Harely Quinn or even Deadpool fans) is squarely in the Gen X range.  One of my good friends probably about 43-44 yrs old is a super comic fan who goes to every comic movie (and most other big movies) on opening night, he read comics since he was a kid.  He's more of a DC guy, but he was 'meh' (but not too 'meh') on BvS, generally pro Suicide Squad, barely pro Justice League, declared this one a HARD PASS.  Of course that's anecdotal, but I'm just not sure this movie will do well.  It's a HARD PG-13, so that's actually a good thing.  But I'm not sure how it'll play in China (although I think the timing is pretty good), and I think but I just don't think Venom has the international appeal as a property, to do well without good word of mouth.  And honestly from the trailers the effects looked bad to me.  This doesn't seem horror enough to be a date movie, so are random millennial dudes gonna go out of their way to see this movie in droves deep in the heart of football season and baseball playoffs?  Is anyone gonna watch it more than once?

** Side note about Venom height:  Venom is VERY inconsistently sized throughout the years, and the various hosts.  It depends on the artists, among other stuff.  I get the feeling that won't be one of my issues with the movie were I to see it.

I think it's gonna be a very mild flop.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

Side note about Venom height:  Venom is VERY inconsistently sized throughout the years, and the various hosts.  It depends on the artists, among other stuff.  I get the feeling that won't be one of my issues with the movie were I to see it.

It's not a big deal, I'm just curious as to whether or not they've ever tried to explain it.  I wouldn't doubt it if some artist just jacked his size up without worrying at all about the fact that it doesn't seem to make much sense.

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Just got back.

Good stuff
Venom Inner Voice with Eddie was great made the movie. 
Great special effects till the final fight.
Love the symbiotes talking to their host.
Venom's appearance grew on me over time.
Great humor parts in the movie
Tom Hardy is very good I think as Eddie Brock

Bad Stuff
Michele Williams was a bad fit I thought
It took too long to get to Venom in the movie I thought
I thought it was the wrong choice not to somehow tie in Spider-man.
The choose the Spider-man Adventures origin which might have been their only choice.
I would have liked to see some webbing somewhere.
The last end credit was ridiculously long.

Overall its not a bad movie, but Sony just fails to understand how Marvel does it right. 
It wasn't a home run or a stikeout more like a single or double. Some things worked while others didn't.

What did you think of the part when Hardy wigs out in the MRI machine as they showed in 1st trailer? No spoilers just if you liked it or not? I'm anxious to see happens there!

9 minutes ago, revat said:

but do younger people even like Venom that much (before the movie)?

Venom is huge with millennials. Anything done by Todd McFarlane is huge with them. He was their Neal Adams. I expect the new Spawn movie to make bank as well. If we think about it Todd McFarlane the creator(sort of) of Venom and Spawn was truly the last hot superstar artist in the comic book world.

So yeah Venom is huge with younger people. I think we at least get one more Venom movie because of Carnage who might be as close to Venom in popularity.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think we at least get one more Venom movie because of Carnage who might be as close to Venom in popularity.

I think just based on Woody playing Carnage I'll be more jacked for next one! I'll definitely be sticking around for the post credits!

33 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think we at least get one more Venom movie because of Carnage who might be as close to Venom in popularity.

This was supposed to be the kickoff film for the new "Sony Universe" featuring surefire box-office smashes from the Spidey rogues gallery such as Morbius, Silk, Nightwatch, Jackpot, and the Black Cat.  Given that it's going about as well as Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" did in kicking off a brand-new Universal Monsters movie universe, it's difficult to see another film.  But hey, I never thought this one would get made, so what do I know.

I still think this deflates Sony's plans and forces multiple internal meetings about giving the production reins to Marvel Studios.  It should be painfully obvious by now that's what needs to happen.  :makepoint:  It might not simply because all of those planned movies clearly can't all be produced by one man.  Why they're even thinking about them at all baffles me though.  Morbius?  What a rip-off of a vampire that guy is.  He was lame even in the 70s, but now that there's a dozen other vampire properties he seems lame to the tenth power.  The only character with potential is Black Cat, but even she should start off in a Spidey film, not in her own, but that would put her in the Marvel Universe, so I guess that's not happening.

The whole concept of a new "Sony Universe" is lame piled on top of lame with an extra helping of lame on top.  :boo:  Didn't the "Sony Universe" start with the original Spider-Man film in 2002?  Or wait, maybe in 2012 when ASM rebooted it?  What is this yet another reboot since Homecoming semi-rebooted the last reboot?  All these reboots are making me dizzy.  :eek:  Any reboot at all is an admission that you're out of good ideas, but for this to be reboot #4 is just pathetic.  :facepalm:

Edited by fantastic_four

52 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, I really have no idea what people are thinking with Venom's look given that there's nothing to compare it to and nobody is going into detail about what their problem with him is other than bizarre comments like "he's too shiny."  

It’s not bizarre, he is too shiny. :makepoint:

11 minutes ago, bane said:
1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Yea, I really have no idea what people are thinking with Venom's look given that there's nothing to compare it to and nobody is going into detail about what their problem with him is other than bizarre comments like "he's too shiny."  

It’s not bizarre, he is too shiny. :makepoint:

You're going to have to go into more detail for others to understand it.  He's been shiny since his very first appearance and he's as shiny as the black oil that his general design appears to be inspired by.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If this ends up doing just $160 million domestic and $200 million overseas (or $360 million total), does it get a sequel? Maybe.

Does it launch a universe of spin-off films?

No chance.

So what kind of numbers do you expect for it to launch a universe?  Minimum.

11 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

It has a better audience score (88%)

I'm not sure how Rotten Tomatoes allows voting on that--are we sure those votes are from people who've seen the film?

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

How would it be possible to make a realistic looking Venom? 

well my answer is to watch Alien, or perhaps Aliens. Those creatures look "real" like they belong in the environment in the movie. Venom looks like a toy/ statue that people interact with.

I will see the movie, and will hopefully adjust my initial reaction based on what I see ( hopefully )

**see what I did there? Talking like Newt? :)

Edited by Artboy99

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

well my answer is to watch Alien, or perhaps Aliens. Those creatures look "real" like they belong in the environment in the movie. Venom looks like a toy/ statue that people interact with.

I will see the movie, and will hopefully adjust my initial reaction based on what I see ( hopefully )

My thoughts exactly. (thumbsu

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not sure how Rotten Tomatoes allows voting on that--are we sure those votes are from people who've seen the film?

Zero guarantee; the resources needed to track this would be exorbitant.  But I’ve found the audence reviews match the %, are diverse beyond fanboys, so I’m satisfied.

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 minute ago, bane said:

My thoughts exactly. (thumbsu

11 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Light years better than Spidey 3’s Venom was my reaction.  C h r i s t, that was bad.

They could’ve made his sheen more like the dull of Bat armor, but something about the slippery sliminess seemed much more alive, fwiw.

As someone who hasn’t been pumping this movie for months, hopefully my words carry some objectively-meant heft.