• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

With all the trending numbers it looks like Venom will surpass the $65M mark easily.  However, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.  How well it does in the second week will be more telling.

A sale of ASM 300 9.8 just ended and it sold for about $2,200.  Looks like buyers are also being cautious (price point hasn't moved much).

***But spending that much on a comic can never be considered "cautious"(thumbsu

On 10/4/2018 at 2:39 PM, valiantman said:

Pretty much everything I know about England comes from "Are You Being Served?" reruns. :whistle:

On 10/4/2018 at 2:41 PM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

The last person that said that got me suspended for a week. I posted a gif of Mrs Slocombe's cat. They didn't refer to it as a cat of course. Nor did I.  The mod didn't see it my way....

Very sorry for the off topic but in case you fellas are interested they're going to run "are you being served" tonight on PBS at 7:30 pm eastern followed by "keeping up appearances". They usually run them at this time Saturday nights.

Anyways back to the movie, I just happened to catch Spidey 3 while channel surfing today and wow the contrast between this Venom and that one is striking!!! It's like comparing chicken scratch to a Picasso! Looking forward to catching the movie on Tuesday as long as it's not sold out

Edited by MGsimba77

Saw Venom last night and thought it was great as well.  My expectations were lowered after reading earlier reviews from RT, but glad it was better than I expected.   Hardy was spot on and was probably the only driving force in the whole film, which was expected.  Storyline could have been better but it was good enough for me.  I enjoyed the fighting scenes and the chases as well.  CGI could have been better also with the symbiotes by itself before interaction with the host.  Quite a few funny lines as well throughout the film.  Overall, I gave it a B+.  

Oh, since a few mentioned Woody being too old for Carnage, I think another good actor to play Carnage and younger would be Jackie Earle Haley.  Natural red-head, played a creepy and dark figure before (Freddy Kreuger), and skinny lol

Wow these critics suck! Venom was awesome my son and I both enjoyed it. Was funny, exciting, and venom looked amazing. I’m glad it wasn’t just another superhero movie.

Looking forward to venom 2. Expected to make over $80 million and beat the hell out of that lady Gaga boring lamea$$ movie that “critics are raving about” yup they can keep it. Make mine marvel (well associated with marvel lol) We are venom!

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm still hoping to see it tomorrow night but regardless it looks like I was way off on my guess on projected box office numbers.  The people have spoken and they like Venom!

It should easily beat a 100 million world wide opening now.

I am pretty sure a Venom 2 with Carnage gets greenlighted now. So time to keep an eye on

Image result for spider man 361

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

54 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It should easily beat a 100 million world wide opening now.

I am pretty sure a Venom 2 with Carnage gets greenlighted now. So time to keep an eye on (ASM 361)

I think that ship sailed last year already ;) as far as getting an inexpensive 9.8 anyway.

Great fun movie. Glad that's the route they went with it. Everything worked well for a fun movie. Just don't expect a dark superheroe movie cause it's definitely not that. 

The bad reviews are clearly a biased force against the movie. Just like they were against suicide squad. This movie is definitely a B+ or higher depending on your standards. 

On a side note, I simply hate when Tom Hardy speaks with a different accent other than his own. It comes out really bad and it takes away from his charismatic persona. And it translates to poor acting as his lines in the movie are shorter and you can clearly see he's struggling to speak in some parts. If only he was focusing more on acting and less on accent pronounciation we would probably have an even better Eddie Brock. 

But still, that didn't take away from the overall fun atmosphere of the movie

58 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

The bad reviews are clearly a biased force against the movie. Just like they were against suicide squad. This movie is definitely a B+ or higher depending on your standards.

I don't know if they are biased, well if someone is saying as bad as Catwoman yes that is just some clickbait garbage but Venom is little bit of a schlock movie.
The story does not make a lot of sense even thou I did not mind it one bit but after talking to some friends yeah there were moments that just did not make any sense at all. Also all the other actors than Tom Hardy are pretty forgettable but..

Tom Hardy is really good as Eddie Brock and Venom is like Deadpool now exactly what you would want Venom to be and even better with the whole In my world I am a loser too. Venom is adorable monster :foryou: and the story and the rest of the cast does not annoy or anything like that so the movie works and it is really fun.

Edited by godzilla43

1 hour ago, godzilla43 said:

I don't know if they are biased...

Of course they are.  Obviously not all but definitely some (if not a lot) of them...

- People who are DC fanboys

- People who are Lady Gaga fanboys

- People who are MCU fanboys

- People who just want attention by making extreme comments

- People who just like to troll

- People who are lemmings (ones who just follow the trending opinions)

That's why I only trust a handful of reviewers who have a good history of picking movies I like.

5 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Of course they are.  Obviously not all but definitely some (if not a lot) of them...

- People who are DC fanboys

- People who are Lady Gaga fanboys

- People who are MCU fanboys

- People who just want attention by making extreme comments

- People who just like to troll

- People who are lemmings (ones who just follow the trending opinions)

That's why I only trust a handful of reviewers who have a good history of picking movies I like.

:screwy:

80 RT :roflmao:

40 minutes ago, paperheart said:

:screwy:

80 RT :roflmao:

:slapfight:...so I missed it by a bitlol.  BUT...I did call $75M.  I can't call a RT 30 and in the same sentence call $75M.  That would be insane:screwy:.

Just for clarification...bias works both ways.  Some of these MCU movies with RT +90 don't deserve it.

Great movie to compare it to is Suicide Squad.  I thought both of them exceeded expectations and were a ton of fun.  Definetely not a great movie but it was funny, good action scenes and I left feeling content about the movie.  

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Great movie to compare it to is Suicide Squad.  I thought both of them exceeded expectations and were a ton of fun.  Definetely not a great movie but it was funny, good action scenes and I left feeling content about the movie.  

Lucky duck! I didn't get the comic when I saw it :( I wanted to get one though...

glad you enjoyed yourself ^^

On 10/6/2018 at 11:40 AM, paperheart said:

let me try that again; $80mm, pencil in Venom 2 for 2021

Venom has received a B+ CinemaScore which put it with some interesting company. The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Justice League, Spider-Man 3, and Suicide Squad all received the same verdict when they were released. That's not the best company but those movies all have their fans and Venom has managed to beat Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice's B.

One thing with this Venom movie is it put CinemaScore on the map and made it a player. Rotten Tomatoes will now have some legitimate competition. CinemaScore seems to be what the mainstream likes and not what the critics like on Rotten Tomatoes.

Going forward I will keep eye an on CinemaScore.

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Comparing this movie to Suicide Squad will keep me away from seeing this at the cinema, I thought SS was a complete turd.