• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Anyone who wants to see it fail (outside of misguided Lady Gaga fans) likely just want to see the property under Marvel Studios control again based on their opinion of the trailers.  (At least, that's my position).  Had the trailers looked promising, I'd be all for it, but the trailers looked abysmal.  Don't get me wrong, I love Venom (the character, have yet to see the movie), and I love Tom Hardy.  But I have little faith in Sony's vision for the franchise/shared universe based on the slate of movies they wish to release.  Compare that against Logan which had great trailers from the get-go.  I don't think many people were rooting against it pre and post-release.  Which leads me to believe the hate for Venom isn't predicated on people wanting it under Marvel's control, but more about it just sincerely having a trailer.

I view it like a sports team.  I love the Chicago Bulls, but I don't think the team has the pieces or coaching staff to be meaningful so long as they're around.  Am I wrong to wish the team would go 10-72 just so ownership will finally fire Hoiberg?  And so we can position ourselves for the best chance at a 1st pick in the lottery?  Sometimes, you love something so much you realize that, like a phoenix, in order for it to rise to something greater, it first needs to burn to ash.

I get your point. I'm not really one to believe in the "burn the forrest in order to save it" theory at least in most cases. In sports it could make sense however

I'd wish to high heaven they would've just had a nice & neat MCU style storyline here on Venom's origin that mimics the comics! Once that was not in the cards however I still wouldn't have wished for it to just crater. I have no idea what they may have in the cards for Spider-man down the road since there's talk of a possible trilogy? It's possible I may dig what they end up doing when it's all said and done. That's why I like to keep an open mind (thumbsu 

Just got back.  Friggin' loved it.  As a hardcore Spidey and Venom fan, this was the Venom I wanted to see.  Super-powerful, extremely imaginative, just a freaking awesome depiction of the character.  But as has always been the case I can see why he doesn't appeal to most people, but I don't care, I freaking love him, and I love this depiction as much as or more as any from the comics.  :cloud9:

NOTE:  no spoilers here except in tags.  The main post-credits scene comes quickly and you'll definitely want to see it if you're a Venom or Spidey fan, but you may not want to wait for the second one that comes after almost 10 minutes of credits because it has nothing whatsoever to do with Venom, it's an ad for something else that is only tangentially related to Venom.  What it's an ad for I will put in spoilers:

Spoiler

It's a clip from the upcoming animated film "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" featuring Miles Morales.

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing with this Venom movie is it put CinemaScore on the map and made it a player. Rotten Tomatoes will now have some legitimate competition. CinemaScore seems to be what the mainstream likes and not what the critics like on Rotten Tomatoes.

Going forward I will keep eye an on CinemaScore.

uh, no. it's been around for 40 years and nearly no one pays attention to it.  a CinemaScore A is the equivalent of getting an A in basket weaving at an otherwise legitimate university.

3 minutes ago, paperheart said:

uh, no. it's been around for 40 years and nearly no one pays attention to it.  a CinemaScore A is the equivalent of getting an A in basket weaving at an otherwise legitimate university.

Wow! Good to know. Honestly, I never heard of CinemaScore before until you posted about it the other day.

I guess Metacritic will be Rotten Tomatoes competition than.

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

NOTE:  no spoilers here except in tags.  The main post-credits scene comes quickly and you'll definitely want to see it if you're a Venom or Spidey fan, but you may not want to wait for the second one that comes after almost 10 minutes of credits because it has nothing whatsoever to do with Venom, it's an ad for something else that is only tangentially related to Venom.  What it's an ad for I will put in spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

It's a clip from the upcoming animated film "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" featuring Miles Morales.

I thought that was well known for 3-6 months now re: the second credit scene?

Back from the movie, we all stayed to the very end of credits. Saw the scene, it is cool and hilarious ... let’s say it is a preview to something else. I leave that to you to find out yourself. 

Venom is pretty good and the dialogue between Tom Hardy acting as Eddie Brook and the parasite Venom is good - impressive bit as what I thought as I see. I give it a three of 5 stars. Friends and I were talking about the sequel and what to expect to see who’s going show up. Right now I gotta check my boxes to pull out books.

I never wanted this (or any other comic book movie) to fail, but to me Rotten Tomatoes scores do mean something.  I ignored them for BvS and Suicide Squad and ended up disliking the movies.  I decided to not see Justice league in the theaters but watched it when it came out on Blu Ray, and disliked it as well.  While critics may not agree with me all the time, and may never agree with certain people they actually can some times tell you if a movies is good or not.  It's hard because the reviews here seem pretty good so I might break down and see this in the theater, but my inclination is to wait and see it on Blu Ray.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:46 AM, Aweandlorder said:

Btw, don't waste your time waiting for the post credit clip. Such a loooooong wait for nothing exciting 

Are there two clips?

Is the later one not worth it, or neither not worth it?

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Are there two clips?

Is the later one not worth it, or neither not worth it?

Depends on what you like.  Personally I think they're both worth it but I can see how some people might not want to wait for the second one.

But if you have nothing to do afterwards might as well stay an extra 10 minutes to get everything you paid for.  Or just YouTube it.

12 hours ago, kimik said:

I thought that was well known for 3-6 months now re: the second credit scene?

To me describing that very last post credits isn't really a spoiler and should not be hidden (of course the first  post credits would be a spoiler) - I really hope nobody who paid to see the movie missed out on it.  There were parts of the movie I enjoyed - but overall I thought it was just so-so.  The last post credits was definitely one of the better highlights for me.

On 10/7/2018 at 11:03 AM, Cozmo-One said:

International box office seemed to do ok :)  From BoxOfficeMojo:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $80,030,000    39.0%
Foreign:  $125,200,000    61.0%

Worldwide:  $205,230,000  

Mendelson, the Forbes guy that's mathematically challenged, says $400MM, maybe $500MM WW total.  Even conservatively figuring that 2nd weekend drop will be huge and Halloween will crush it in weekend 3, $180MM US + $270MM Int'l + China (which is a wildcard) would seem to suggest that $500MM+ is a lock and $550MM is possible.

3 minutes ago, paperheart said:

China (which is a wildcard)

Given that China has been the largest foreign market for the last three Spider-Man films and Civil War, you'd think Venom would follow the same pattern and again be their most lucrative foreign market.

Played Magic last night with a few guys that saw the movie and enjoyed it. Still trying to keep expectations super low to hopefully enjoy the movie even more myself.

One of the reasons that I hate Civil War a lot, is because the theatrical BvS cut was so 'meh'. I expected CW to absolutely blow it away, and it ended up being more of the same, but with no stakes. After that, I have really tried to temper expectations for most movies. I think that's part of why Infinity War blew my mind and is one of my favorite movies. I wanted it to be a 10, was expecting/hoping an 8 because of the scope of the film and characters, and it ended up being an 11.

I'm expecting Venom to be a 5 or 6 (or 2.5-3/5). Hopefully that works in the movie's favor.

Edited by TwoPiece

26 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Given that China has been the largest foreign market for the last three Spider-Man films and Civil War, you'd think Venom would follow the same pattern and again be their most lucrative foreign market.

China has reliably returned $100MM+ for superhero movies recently, so that's the # I was projecting for the $550MM target but it's still a bit of a guesstimate.

Edited by paperheart