• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Stop.  Don't be disingenuous.  ~60% second week declines is typical for the genre.  

You're also overlooking the $30MM it made in mid-week business domestically.

-J.

$32MM (actually looks like it could be higher) is decent, conservative $180MM US is now a lock, $200MM US is w/in the realm of possibility if it isn't down 60% again next weekend.

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Stop.  Don't be disingenuous.  ~60% second week declines is typical for the genre.  

You're also overlooking the $30MM it made in mid-week business domestically.

-J.

? You thought Paperheart was posting this as a negative?

Isn't it a positive thing that Venom is projected to be the number one movie two weekends in a row?

Also, if one wanted to be negative, could just point out that A Star is Born made more than Venom on Thursday, having caught up from making just over half of Venom's take last weekend.

I still think we're looking at its topping out at $180 million domestic and would bet against a $500 million total.

Sure - it might repeat at number one again this weekend, but Halloween will crush it next weekend (same demographic, plus the return of Jaime Lee Curtis).

Logan this ain't.

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Also, if one wanted to be negative, could just point out that A Star is Born made more than Venom on Thursday, having caught up from making just over half of Venom's take last weekend.

I still think we're looking at its topping out at $180 million domestic and would bet against a $500 million total.

Sure - it might repeat at number one again this weekend, but Halloween will crush it next weekend (same demographic, plus the return of Jaime Lee Curtis).

Logan this ain't.

Now I don't see your point (?)

A Star is Born is sitting at $66MM domestic.  That's still $40MM+ less than Venom.  It made $35MM less opening weekend.  It has lost ground.

And a new movie next week may out-gross a three week old movie next week.  This is prophetic, how?

And FWIW, Halloween is rated R and is a stodgy 40 year old franchise.  Venom is fresh and new and its "safe" PG-13 rating will likely carry it through with the tweeners through at least the first couple of weeks in November.  And seeing as how the film will blow past $300MM in just two weeks of release, without China even hitting yet, I'll take you up on your bet for a less than $500MM worldwide end gross.  In fact I put it around $550-$600MM now which in fact crushes the first wolverine movie totals (a more apt comparison).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

29 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$32MM (actually looks like it could be higher) is decent, conservative $180MM US is now a lock, $200MM US is w/in the realm of possibility if it isn't down 60% again next weekend.

+1 

My only bone of contention was the notion that 60% second week decline should be considered "massive", when it is in fact average.  75-80% second week drop would be massive.  We won't be seeing anything like that. Venom is buzzy among movie goers. That bodes well for some decent legs.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

A Star is Born is sitting at $66MM domestic.  That's still $40MM+ less than Venom.  It made $35MM less opening weekend.  It has lost ground.

Umm...my point was never to say A Star is Born would out-gross Venom. That was never an option, to say nothing Venom's costing >3x as much.

But that Venom's not exactly holding well day-to-day, despite its strong opening.

And no -- A Star is Born has *not* lost ground against it. As you say, it made $35MM less opening weekend, in fact just 52% of Venom's take.

And yet merely 4 days later (Thursday) it outgrossed Venom. That's the very definition of "gaining ground." And it's not a good sign for Venom's legs.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...my point was never to say A Star is Born would out-gross Venom. That was never an option, to say nothing Venom's costing >3x as much.

But that Venom's not exactly holding well day-to-day, despite its strong opening.

And no -- A Star is Born has *not* lost ground against it. As you say, it made $35MM less opening weekend, in fact just 52% of Venom's take.

And yet merely 4 days later (Thursday) it outgrossed Venom. That's the very definition of "gaining ground." And it's not a good sign for Venom's legs.

Your numbers are whackadoodle. Sorry this film's runaway success perturbs you so much. Might I suggest you start A Star is Born fanboy reddit. (thumbsu

-J.

8 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Logan this ain't.

"Topping out at 180 million domestic"? "Logan this ain't"? Seriously O.o?

Assuming you're right that A star is born outgrossed Venom on Thursday so that means Venom won't have legs? What about the rest of the week? Seems like we're just cherry picking here

Im not entirely sure a grey haired Jaime Lee Curtis attempting to revive a 40 year old movie franchise is going to have people tripping over themselves to the box office. 

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Do you have any real numbers to back this up other than a typical decline?   

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Your numbers are whackadoodle. Sorry this film's runaway success perturbs you so much. Might I suggest you start A Star is Born fanboy reddit. (thumbsu

-J.

For what so they can devise a new plan to Twitter troll the Venom sequel only to fail just as miserably?! 

9 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Logan this ain't.

93 vs 30 RT, 77 vs 35 Metacritic, Best Adapted Screenplay Oscar Nomination vs lol  - hard to argue with that one

OK I saw it. It was just fabulously fun in a totally campy way. Things I liked:

1) Venom's voice
2) Hardy is great.
3) The doctor was good.
4) Great special effects.

Things that are bad:
1) OMG the plot holes. You could drive two three four trucks through them. But no one cares.
2) It should have been rated R.
3) The clearly forced in "Venom Sayings".

I was expecting San Andreas level stupid, and it was very enjoyable.

Edited by FlyingDonut

Venom blew away the October record for an opening weekend, but then again that was an extremely weak record. It's still impressive what it did in its first weekend no doubt.

If you compare other all time top weekend October movies in their second week drops on Friday from previous years, it's 69.9% drop on Friday doesn't bode well for it, but... still waiting on Saturday numbers for a better feel of where this is headed.

Gravity                     2nd Friday (-27.9%) Saturday (-19.7%) went on to do $274 Million ($723 Mill Wordwide) - ran 217 days

The Martian             2nd Friday (-40.9%) Saturday (-28.6%) went on to do $228 Million ($630 Mill Wordwide) - ran 154 days

Paranormal Act. 3    2nd Friday (-75.5%) Saturday (-57.6%) went on to do $104 Million ($207 Mill Wordwide) - ran 77 days

Jack-azz 3D             2nd Friday (-65.8%) Saturday (-50.7%) went on to do $117 Million ($171 Mill Wordwide) - ran 98 days

Taken 2                    2nd Friday (-27.9%) Saturday (-48.6%) went on to do $139 Million ($376 Mill Wordwide) - ran 140 days

For a marginal character with a cult following, it's a success. Its no Deadpool, but Ant-Man and the Wasp had a 100 Million opening weekend and a 75% drop on it's first Friday and still went on to do $216 Million (622 WW). But that was a summer release...the rest of October into November can be a brutal time of the year for movies....

#1 again with $35MM and a very respectable 56% drop from first week's record breaking grosses:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1051486817831120897?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

$378MM worldwide, with China still to come.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BORReport/status/1051490683490463744?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

At this point, Sony isn't worrying about the Halloween remake/reboot/sequel pr whatever it is.  At this point the studio that's putting out halloween is worrying about Venom.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

Venom 2 and Carnage make me some more $$$

After hearing Tom Hardy saying Venom would eat Rocket Raccoon, I am dreaming this scenario: Venom and Guardians of the Galaxy goes to the Symbiot planet. If that does not happen well then hopefully Spider-man would be in Venom 2 fighting Carnage which I don't really care for.