• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

Looks like Sony is printing money now. Venom's revenue ration (4.6X) just passed so many successful MCU movies.

Courtesy from our friendly secret herald of Galactus. These numbers are amazing. Venom is a huge hit!

• Thor Ragnarok (4.7X)
  • Captain America: Civil War (4.6X)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (4.3x)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4.2X)
  • Iron Man (4.2X)
  • Doctor Strange (4.1X)
  • Ant-Man (4.0X)

DC_MCU181021b.JPG

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Looks like Sony is printing money now. Venom's revenue ration (4.6X) just passed so many successful MCU movies.

Courtesy from our friendly secret herald of Galactus. These numbers are amazing. Venom is a huge hit!

• Thor Ragnarok (4.7X)
  • Captain America: Civil War (4.6X)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (4.3x)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4.2X)
  • Iron Man (4.2X)
  • Doctor Strange (4.1X)
  • Ant-Man (4.0X)

DC_MCU181021b.JPG

eating rations are ok but bigger $'s make for finer dining.  $575MM + China upcoming.

Saw this on Monday. Bland 2.5/5.

Spoiler

First of all, much of the humor was forced, and fell flat.

Secondly, the motorcycle chase scene was directed so poorly. Just absolutely awful.

The third biggest thing was the -fest of CGI you might call the "Venom vs Riot" scene. It was a giant mess. It was pure garbage.

There were 4 symbiotes. Obviously, I know what happened to Venom and Riot. I know that the blue one died. What happened to Carnage? It was inside the one black guy that they said to "up the stress tests" on, right? The fact I can't remember is bad news bears.

The female love interest's personality just wasn't realistic. What was real, and I have to give kudos to, was Eddie lurking outside her place and admitting that he missed her.

The Stan Lee cameo sucked. I don't expect it to be great or anything, but this one was stupid. At least he made a cameo, though (looking at you, Fan4stic).

Unsurprisingly, Tom Hardy couldn't save this movie for me. I can see that he did his best, though. The interactions between Eddie and Venom were mostly good, but I thought that some of them were cringe-worthy.

The directing was mostly poor. Venom actually looked decent considering that I wasn't big on his appearance in the trailers. The writing was mostly . Oh, and the advertisement for the Spider-Verse was a waste of f^&*ing time. Screw you, Sony. B-holes.

It was still better than The Last Jedi.

‘Venom’ Morphs Across $300M Overseas; Salivates At $500M WW This Weekend

ntartaglione.png?w=56&h=76&crop=1
by Nancy Tartaglione

October 25, 2018

Venom

EXCLUSIVE: Sony’s Venom took a big bite out of October when it bowed to a $205.2M global opening earlier this month. Now, it’s passed $300M at the international box office and is chomping at the bit to hit $500M worldwide this weekend. The current breakdown through Wednesday is $302.5M internationally, $175.3M domestic and $477.8M global. And, it still has Japan and China on deck, meaning it should push well past $600M after they come online.

2c should be close to $510MM thru Sunday

Edited by paperheart

On 10/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, TwoPiece said:

Hide contents

Secondly, the motorcycle chase scene was directed so poorly. Just absolutely awful.

The third biggest thing was the -fest of CGI you might call the "Venom vs Riot" scene. It was a giant mess. It was pure garbage.

There were 4 symbiotes. Obviously, I know what happened to Venom and Riot. I know that the blue one died. What happened to Carnage? It was inside the one black guy that they said to "up the stress tests" on, right? The fact I can't remember is bad news bears.

The female love interest's personality just wasn't realistic. What was real, and I have to give kudos to, was Eddie lurking outside her place and admitting that he missed her.

The Stan Lee cameo sucked. I don't expect it to be great or anything, but this one was stupid. At least he made a cameo, though (looking at you, Fan4stic).

Unsurprisingly, Tom Hardy couldn't save this movie for me. I can see that he did his best, though. The interactions between Eddie and Venom were mostly good, but I thought that some of them were cringe-worthy.

The directing was mostly poor. Venom actually looked decent considering that I wasn't big on his appearance in the trailers. The writing was mostly . Oh, and the advertisement for the Spider-Verse was a waste of f^&*ing time. Screw you, Sony. B-holes.

Yup ...was ok .. no big deal .. wasn’t blown away .. 

On 10/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, TwoPiece said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah...I also had trouble understanding Tom hardy....but agreed still better then last jedi

This just turning into a box office monster. Sony hit a grand slam with this. These numbers courtesy from our friendly secret herald of Galactus.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (5.0X)

Thor: Ragnarok (4.7X)

VenomVenom_2018.png   (4.7X)

Captain America: Civil War (4.6X)

Dark Knight Rises (4.3X)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (4/3X)

Suicide Squad (4.3X)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4.2X)

Iron Man (4.2X)

DC_MCU181026a.JPG

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This just turning into a box office monster. Sony hit a grand slam with this. These numbers courtesy from our friendly secret herald of Galactus.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (5.0X)

Thor: Ragnarok (4.7X)

VenomVenom_2018.png   (4.7X)

Captain America: Civil War (4.6X)

Dark Knight Rises (4.3X)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (4/3X)

Suicide Squad (4.3X)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (4.2X)

Iron Man (4.2X)

DC_MCU181026a.JPG

I was definitely negging this movie early (based on the trailers and reviews), but its pretty tough to argue at this point.  It's a legit hit.

Honestly, I didn't think it was a great movie.  And now looking at the budget, I can see that they definitely skimped on some of the effects which I thought looked terrible pretty often.  BUT I give them credit for LEANING INTO the camp and ridiculousness of it, so the customer comes out thinking that they at least had some fun, and that at Tom Hardy for sure had lots of fun.  I feel like I reasonably enjoyed a reasonably bad movie, and got to see Venom brought to life.  And that's good enough.  I'm a little surprised it was enough for so many other people, but I guess people love some Venom, ALSO it had historically week competition.

If you like Venom, you should watch it.  Which is more than I can say for Batman vs Superman or Suicide Squad.

PS.  I think there's a million percent chance I'd enjoy the sequel more than this movie.

35 minutes ago, revat said:

I was definitely negging this movie early (based on the trailers and reviews), but its pretty tough to argue at this point.  It's a legit hit.

Honestly, I didn't think it was a great movie.  And now looking at the budget, I can see that they definitely skimped on some of the effects which I thought looked terrible pretty often.  BUT I give them credit for LEANING INTO the camp and ridiculousness of it, so the customer comes out thinking that they at least had some fun, and that at Tom Hardy for sure had lots of fun.  I feel like I reasonably enjoyed a reasonably bad movie, and got to see Venom brought to life.  And that's good enough.  I'm a little surprised it was enough for so many other people, but I guess people love some Venom, ALSO it had historically week competition.

If you like Venom, you should watch it.  Which is more than I can say for Batman vs Superman or Suicide Squad.

PS.  I think there's a million percent chance I'd enjoy the sequel more than this movie.

Most likely they will have a bigger budget and lots of Carnage!

:wishluck:

37 minutes ago, revat said:

And now looking at the budget, I can see that they definitely skimped on some of the effects which I thought looked terrible

Thanks for the thoughts. Curious what effects specifically did you think were not up to snuff?

For me If there's anything I can nitpick over would be Venom's torso. The musculature seemed a little off. At the risk of seeming like a bodybuilding judge I thought the chest was disproportionately small compared to the arms & shoulders. Ughh... just another reason I wish this had been MCU :(

Just didn't look quite right but I think the way they created the eyes & tongue made up for it. Hopefully they'll have a larger budget at their disposal next time and create a more symmetrical looking Venom... and Carnage

41 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:
1 hour ago, revat said:

And now looking at the budget, I can see that they definitely skimped on some of the effects which I thought looked terrible

Thanks for the thoughts. Curious what effects specifically did you think were not up to snuff?

For me If there's anything I can nitpick over would be Venom's torso. The musculature seemed a little off. At the risk of seeming like a bodybuilding judge I thought the chest was disproportionately small compared to the arms & shoulders. Ughh... just another reason I wish this had been MCU :(

Just didn't look quite right but I think the way they created the eyes & tongue made up for it. Hopefully they'll have a larger budget at their disposal next time and create a more symmetrical looking Venom... and Carnage

specifically I thought the transitions and other parts where you could see SKIN and SYMBIOTE at the same time (especially in somewhat well lit settings), it was painfully clear that the symbiote was an effect and added on (I mean, of course it was.  But I just don't think it looked as good as it could have).  Also not great anytime there was a close-up of the head of Venom.  Just looked too fake.  And I also noticed his shoulders seemed crazy big.

I did generally like the direction of the symbiote action scenes, I thought they were reasonably creative.

But the writing (dialogue) was awful, and wasted a lot of good actors.  I didn't mind a simple convoluted plot, its a comic book movie, no points deducted there but none added either.

4 hours ago, revat said:

If we're talking about theatrical release, then it depends on the audience. On one hand, you can watch a visually stunning representation of a modern The Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman film, with great acting on the parts of both titular characters, a great cameo for Wonder Woman, and a great score. On the other hand, you have a movie that isn't really stunning in any fashion... You just have Tom Hardy trying his best to make you not want to gag...

Edited by TwoPiece

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

If we're talking about theatrical release, then it depends on the audience. On one hand, you can watch a visually stunning representation of a modern The Dark Knight Returns and Death of Superman film, with great acting on the parts of both titular characters, a great cameo for Wonder Woman, and a great score. On the other hand, you have a movie that isn't really stunning in any fashion... You just have Tom Hardy trying his best to make you not want to gag...

I agree with you mostly.  I give BvS and SS a very slight thumbs up.  There were some impressive parts for sure, but I think simply liking Superman or Batman or Suicide Squad before the movie are not enough of a reason to like those DC movies, you have to appreciate some of the other specific stuff too, because theres not quite enough of the traditional Superman/Batman stuff that people are looking for.  Liking Venom I think is enough to enjoy the Venom movie, because he does mostly Venomy things.  I'm a big fan of not trying to outthink yourself, just give the people what they want.  You can try for something more special and grand, but its a very narrow path, extremely narrow if you're doing it with universally known IP.

Incidentally, I think both BvS and Suicide Squad would have been better as Rated R movies, but that's not a good excuse, because the filmmakers and the studios KNEW going into it that they would have to be PG-13.  EVEN more with BvS, they KNEW the movie would have to come in at a reasonable length, they have to have a -script and production that worked with those constraints, and they STILL made a movie with 20 minutes of dream sequences.  I get that the extended version is better, but Marvel is making quality profitable critically-liked ANT-MAN MOVIES starring PAUL RUDD in their free time.  People SHOULD reward risks and untraditional visions, that's how we get great art, but when you're doing it with universally known infinite IP possibilities and huge budgets. 

P.S. DC should have hired Edgar Wright as soon as things went sour with Marvel for whatever movie he wanted.

5 hours ago, revat said:

I agree with you mostly.  I give BvS and SS a very slight thumbs up.  There were some impressive parts for sure, but I think simply liking Superman or Batman or Suicide Squad before the movie are not enough of a reason to like those DC movies, you have to appreciate some of the other specific stuff too, because theres not quite enough of the traditional Superman/Batman stuff that people are looking for.  Liking Venom I think is enough to enjoy the Venom movie, because he does mostly Venomy things.  I'm a big fan of not trying to outthink yourself, just give the people what they want.  You can try for something more special and grand, but its a very narrow path, extremely narrow if you're doing it with universally known IP.

Incidentally, I think both BvS and Suicide Squad would have been better as Rated R movies, but that's not a good excuse, because the filmmakers and the studios KNEW going into it that they would have to be PG-13.  EVEN more with BvS, they KNEW the movie would have to come in at a reasonable length, they have to have a --script and production that worked with those constraints, and they STILL made a movie with 20 minutes of dream sequences.  I get that the extended version is better, but Marvel is making quality profitable critically-liked ANT-MAN MOVIES starring PAUL RUDD in their free time.  People SHOULD reward risks and untraditional visions, that's how we get great art, but when you're doing it with universally known infinite IP possibilities and huge budgets. 

P.S. DC should have hired Edgar Wright as soon as things went sour with Marvel for whatever movie he wanted.

could've been The Atom, the work was already done

It may make a lot of money but I hated this movie. I felt like it was an typical alien taking over human hosts movie, but using the Venom and Eddie Brock names. 

17 hours ago, revat said:

Incidentally, I think both BvS and Suicide Squad would have been better as Rated R movies, but that's not a good excuse, because the filmmakers and the studios KNEW going into it that they would have to be PG-13.  EVEN more with BvS, they KNEW the movie would have to come in at a reasonable length, they have to have a --script and production that worked with those constraints, and they STILL made a movie with 20 minutes of dream sequences.  I get that the extended version is better, but Marvel is making quality profitable critically-liked ANT-MAN MOVIES starring PAUL RUDD in their free time.  People SHOULD reward risks and untraditional visions, that's how we get great art, but when you're doing it with universally known infinite IP possibilities and huge budgets. 

FWIW, the phenomenal Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman is Rated-R...

I like Venom, and the symbiote himself was pretty good/okay in this movie, but not good enough for me to enjoy it more than the crappy (theatrical) version of BvS. I think we just disagree here.