• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Is the body solid black, or does it have veins of white?

It's solid black, but I think that just adds to the "retro" look of the whole figure, back before they were super-detailed and articulated like figures are today. The retro TV commercial Walmart is playing now just adds to that vintage vibe:

With my expectations, literally at 25%, it wasn't a horrible movie.

It really reminded me of Blade.  A lot of effort going into the main character (Tom Hardy was a hoot,) with cartoonish bad-guys he easily dispatches.  Some 2nd unit shots go a bit too long (the bike chase,) Michelle Williams didn't look as bored as Rachael Nichols in Doctor Strange and we have seen the monster fight between two monsters before (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, etc,) but the movie does do some engaging anti-hero stuff to keep the Marvel brand fresh.

For now...:wishluck:

Could have been worse, DC worse.

It was funny seeing Eddie on a bridge pondering his existence (or how this movie is being made hm ,) almost ready to jump and "It's a Wonderful Life" playing on NBC at the same time, with George Bailey about to do the same thing.

Both will be saved by very unconventional angels.

Just a thought.

My dad and I rented it on PPV the other night and It was not very good. Next to no character development, uninteresting action sequences, bad acting, non sensical dialogue and plot. Just dumb all around. There were a handful of cool moments and funny lines, but otherwise it was a dud. 

I wasn’t really disappointed because I had pretty low expectations but man what a waste of a character and lead in Hardy.

31 minutes ago, speedcake said:

My dad and I rented it on PPV the other night and It was not very good. Next to no character development, uninteresting action sequences, bad acting, non sensical dialogue and plot. Just dumb all around. There were a handful of cool moments and funny lines, but otherwise it was a dud. 

I wasn’t really disappointed because I had pretty low expectations but man what a waste of a character and lead in Hardy.

100% agree.  It was like a low budget low skill low plot low acting 80's TV sci fi movie.  A real stinker.  Even Daredevil was better than this.

49 minutes ago, bb8 said:

I thought it was all right. Not a great movie or even a great superhero movie but a fun action flick.

That's pretty much what I got out of it.  Something that I might again watch down the road.  Not really worthy of a 56 page thread though (depending on your screen preferences.)

1 hour ago, speedcake said:

Jenny Slate would have made a better girlfriend/love interest than Michelle Williams.  William's boyfriend "Doctor Dan" had more chemistry with Tom Hardy. LOL

Plus, the offscreen violence was annoying.  After Riot kills a roomful of Nasa-like scientists, Michelle Williams strolls in, like there's no heads rolling around. The eating bad-guy stuff was too PG-13 awkward, as well.

But... these are just funny book movies.  It's too bad though, as this one could have really pushed the envelope.

13 hours ago, kimik said:

But did it turn a profit?

Let's have a look!

$855MM total theatrical haul.

$150MM-$175MM estimated all in.

Let's go with the high number for $175MM.

(According to Box Office Mojo)

China- $272MM @ 25%= $68MM 

North America- $213MM @ 50%= $106MM

Other Foreign Territories- $370MM @ 40%= $148MM

Total to Sony= $322MM

...for a $147MM profit theatrically. 

#sensiblebudgetsequalbetterprofits

-J.