• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

If Venom was to evolve to the point of introducing Carnage, then the only way this would work would be to start Venom out as a R rated film. Period.

If you are going to do Carnage right, then technically you make a horror film.

A comic horror film? I see something that would kick the out of anything we have ever seen yet, and it would be for diehard fans only. Possibly.

+1

This wouldn't be totally unprecdented either. The first Blade was R rated and was pretty close to being a horror movie.

Its R rating didn't stop it from being successful enough to warrant two sequels and even a short lived TV show.

There is certainly enough solo Venom material to sustain a great movie , but yes it needs to spin-off from Spider-man first for it to even make sense.

-J.

If Venom was to evolve to the point of introducing Carnage, then the only way this would work would be to start Venom out as a R rated film. Period.

If you are going to do Carnage right, then technically you make a horror film.

A comic horror film? I see something that would kick the out of anything we have ever seen yet, and it would be for diehard fans only. Possibly.

+1

This wouldn't be totally unprecdented either. The first Blade was R rated and was pretty close to being a horror movie.

Its R rating didn't stop it from being successful enough to warrant two sequels and even a short lived TV show.

There is certainly enough solo Venom material to sustain a great movie , but yes it needs to spin-off from Spider-man first for it to even make sense.

-J.

Good point. I had forgotten about Blade and how good Blade actually was. Even though it got pretty hokey by the 3rd film. Which was offset oddly enough by Ryan Reynolds playing Hannibal King. He did an awesome job in that role

I'm not optimistic. I get that Venom is great as a standalone character, but only after enough character development which he can only achieve by playing off Spidey. Besides, it's the perfect character to try to develop overtime since three different characters have taken on the mantle. Introduce Eddie Brock as a Spidey villain with the focus being the symbiote backstory, then after a few years of whichever actor they pick in the role, have Mac Gargan take the symbiote (and with any luck, he will already have been playing the Scorpion).

Then, finally, after a few more years, bring in a new actor to play Flash Thompson's version. Why rush into any specific version? Let the story play out over time.

To me Venom is Eddie Brock. Only Eddie Brock.

There is a school of thought for that and I agree. The symbiote is only "Venom" when it's bonded with Eddie.

This cr@p they've done with Flash Thompson has been a travesty against the character.

If they introduce him in an ASM movie and do it right it could easily be a great movie. It almost seems like you'd have to try to mess the character up.

-J.

I'll say this, Mcfarlane was an artist, not a writer, but when Venom was conceived he followed a very simple formula. He took Spiderman and made him bigger, stronger, faster and deadly. He didn't have to be a great writer to make it work. The psychosis that Eddie went through was developed by people who were better writers than artists. You really need that balance to create a character that Peter Parker AND Spiderman TRULY dreaded. Spider-man had his foes but none instilled such a sense of horror in my mind, like Venom. Yes Green Goblin was a true nemesis to Peter/Spidey. ... but I think psychologically the most damage was Venom.

A movie that gets this essence will have a licence to basically do what they want for a generation.

I'll say this, Mcfarlane was an artist, not a writer, but when Venom was conceived he followed a very simple formula. He took Spiderman and made him bigger, stronger, faster and deadly. He didn't have to be a great writer to make it work. The psychosis that Eddie went through was developed by people who were better writers than artists. You really need that balance to create a character that Peter Parker AND Spiderman TRULY dreaded. Spider-man had his foes but none instilled such a sense of horror in my mind, like Venom. Yes Green Goblin was a true nemesis to Peter/Spidey. ... but I think psychologically the most damage was Venom.

A movie that gets this essence will have a licence to basically do what they want for a generation.

THIS.

Anyone hear about this?

:blush:

:o

Spider-Man Spin-Off Movie News Coming Soon

Venom(Brock)_Head.jpg

Hype over Spider-Man has revived previously scrapped projects based on the comic book franchise. And, now, an executive at Sony is hinting “real news” about a Venom spin-off will come soon.

Tom Rothman, the chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Motion Picture Group, told Collider news about future Spider-Man spin-offs will be released before long.

“We’re working on a lot of that stuff,” he said. “There’s a concerted effort, so I think there will be real news as opposed to speculated news before too long.”

The executive also took time to talk about Spider-Man: Homecoming and his excitement to work with Marvel Studios. “It’s fabulous. We’re really excited about it,” Rothman said about Sony Pictures’ partnership with Marvel.

“We wrapped filming the new Spider-Man about a week ago. There’s a little pick-up shooting being done now but [it’s] pretty much done. It’s fantastic.”

Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Let's see if auto-play is turned off or not.