• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

"Sony has tapped Dante Harper to pen a -script for Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland."

Sounds like Sony is doing this on their own accord. Avi Arad executive producing...prepare for the worst

Stand alone movie , yes. But Marvel won't be invisible. I can't imagine anything gets finalized without at least a nod from them. I think a lot of studios have learned, thanks to Deadpool, that it's best to hew close to the source material with these movies. And let's face it, a Venom movie done right could be seriously badazz.

But again, that's with a major :wishluck:

lol

-J.

The screenwriter they have is well known in the industry as a hugely underrated talent. He sold a 7 figure spec -script (pretty crazy, considering how few specs get made), which ultimately became Edge of Tomorow w/ Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt.

I've heard that he was the main guy WB had writing the Akira -script (this is before George Miller turned down their offer and pre-Chris Nolan trilogy rumors. The Akira property is very much in a "The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened" place right now. New Daredevil show runner is now doing a re-write, unknown wether how much of Harper's original he's using, whether its a complete new -script, a doctoring, or setting things up for a Trilogy, which apparently Nolan wants.

From what I'm hearing this Spider-Man sub-universe is going darker than we've seen before, even with the Holland movies. They tried HARD to get Drew Goddard back on board but they couldn't come to an agreement (there's some carry over from DD/S6 negotiations.) They've gone with a Horror/Thriller leaning director Jon Watts (only 33). Everyone on their shortlist was non-A list and a bit comedic leaning, outside of Watts, really out of the box weird choices (like the guy behind Avenue Q, Director of Pitch Perfect, Sisters, and now the Archie movie.)

Those early reports you heard about Feige stating this would be a High School based "John Hughes" type movie, are not necessarily shared by Sony, who care much more about building a franchise. Its the reason we're getting Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters Corps, the 21 Jumpstreet/Men In Black shared universe, and yes the Diablo Cody written Barbie tentpole.

Also sadly guys AFAIK the deal with Marvel extends only to the crossovers with MCU and the first Spider-Man movie, none of the spinoffs have Marvel's touch on them, and I don't think Venom is say, going to show up in GoTG (as it sounds like they are going with the Flash Thompson version.)

(I'm in the film industry tangentially speaking, working as a -script reader, as well as moonlighting with high quality web series collective (last 3 projects had a few million dollars of budget with sponsorship/investment + crowdfunding). I

'll share what I can when I can, pleae don't go digging trying to figure out where I work or any of the like. If you're really into the Film/TV industry, we can talk via PM of course."

I would keep an eye out on who they cast to play Flash Thompson in the Spidey movie because it could be an actor that they transition over to Venom. I think that will further alienate fans of the original Venom though. The Eddie Brock bad guy version is who many want to see.

Stand alone movie , yes. But Marvel won't be invisible. I can't imagine anything gets finalized without at least a nod from them. I think a lot of studios have learned, thanks to Deadpool, that it's best to hew close to the source material with these movies. And let's face it, a Venom movie done right could be seriously badazz.

But again, that's with a major :wishluck:

lol

-J.

Unfortunately I think Feige and co. are explicitely NOT going to be involved in Venom, Sinister 6 or The Black Cat movie (they still have Felicia Hardy on contract for that, and that's a pre-Rogue One contract.) Its rumored this was a major sticking point for Sony, that yes Spidey can go play with the MCU, but they want their own franchises and based off of Spidey.

The Venom stand alone thin doesn't bother me, its setting up for a team up movie IMO, and it leaves the door open for a franchise, which means we likely see Carnage show up. At one point Josh Trank was going to do this, bullet dodged there.

Although a Chronicle style Venom, mixed with the Martian/Moon style solo Flash Thompson stuff could be pretty great in terms of an origin story, there's a chance this is the reason Spider-Man is in Doctor Strange (which makes no real sense to me still.)

I would keep an eye out on who they cast to play Flash Thompson in the Spidey movie because it could be an actor that they transition over to Venom. I think that will further alienate fans of the original Venom though. The Eddie Brock bad guy version is who many want to see.

After two failed franchies, Sony is NOT going after the core "Spider-Man" audience, which one executive claimed "doesn't exist" after Amazing 2. This is going to be a really drastic reboot I feel, and for fans of the comic 90's comics Venom, I don't think we're going to see that. Trust me, I'd love nothing more than a horror based Eddie Brock Venom movie, but I doubt they are brave enoguh to do that. Plus the screen writers hired, are almost purely known for comedy (funny anecdote, one of them is the little boy from Freaks and Geeks all grown up.)

After two failed franchies, Sony is NOT going after the core "Spider-Man" audience, which one executive claimed "doesn't exist" after Amazing 2. This is going to be a really drastic reboot I feel, and for fans of the comic 90's comics Venom, I don't think we're going to see that. Trust me, I'd love nothing more than a horror based Eddie Brock Venom movie, but I doubt they are brave enoguh to do that. Plus the screen writers hired, are almost purely known for comedy (funny anecdote, one of them is the little boy from Freaks and Geeks all grown up.)

If they want to make money and not pizz off the very people that would actually go see the movie, that is exactly the movie they'll make.

More :wishluck:

-J.

Just like I said for the potential Silver Surfer/FF movie plot...

You cannot do Venom without Spider-Man. Both SS and Venom have a huge fan following and they are very closely tied to a larger franchise that you have to acknowledge before moving forward with a solo act. Unfortunately for both, they were half-handedly introduced in terrible movies and for them to succeed in their own franchise, they will have to be re-done.

The only way for a Venom solo to work at this point is to tie him into the MCU Spider-Man otherwise he will be just half a movie with no real point to the character.

...and it's even worse if they try to bring Carnage into play.

But it's Sony :sorry:

I could give them a pass as the first two movies were fantastic because everything seemed to come together. Though the Green Goblin test design head would have made it that much better than the helmet used. But then I read this...

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, among stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project.

There's a reason why Marvel told Sony it did not want Avi Arad involved in the joint Spider-Man project if it was to move forward.

And also this...

Sony CEO had active involvement in Amazing Spider-Man 2 final cut

I don’t find this story particularly shocking, I think it’s great that the boss of a company has a vested interested and involvement in the projects that are being worked on. I do however take issue with someone who doesn’t necessarily have any knowledge of expertise in film-making making suggestions on how to improve or edit a film. But that’s exactly what Sony CEO Kaz Hirai did with Marc Webb’s Amazing Spider-Man 2.

As the Hollywoodreporter, well, reports Harai said “I went to see the final edits for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 before it came out; [sony Entertainment CEO] Michael [Lynton] and [sPE co-chairman] Amy [Pasca] just wanted to get my thoughts on a few things,” Hirai explained. “I can’t edit a film — I just know if this scene and that scene don’t come together quite right. And so maybe we want to explain why this plane is out of control or blind in the air. I know if something is confusing,” the company’s CEO added.

A non-comic book inspired studio CEO getting involved in the film editing process, feeling like he knows best what audiences really want to see.

:facepalm:

(I'm in the film industry tangentially speaking, working as a -script reader, as well as moonlighting with high quality web series collective (last 3 projects had a few million dollars of budget with sponsorship/investment + crowdfunding). I

'll share what I can when I can, pleae don't go digging trying to figure out where I work or any of the like. If you're really into the Film/TV industry, we can talk via PM of course."

I'm in the industry myself as a construction coordinator, currently for Sony. Back when Akira was ready to go in NY before they cancelled it, my father was attached to the project. Then they canned it.

If Venom was to evolve to the point of introducing Carnage, then the only way this would work would be to start Venom out as a R rated film. Period.

If you are going to do Carnage right, then technically you make a horror film.

A comic horror film? I see something that would kick the out of anything we have ever seen yet, and it would be for diehard fans only. Possibly.