• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Also that was the main fault with the DC movies BvS and Justice League. Their cgi looked cheap or fake compared to Marvel`s. I remember Doomsday looked cheap and it stood out.

Maybe these movie studios should hire the guys who do the Marvel special effects or find a team like them?

Until DC can up their game to match this, they have no chance.(:

CaptainAmerica70sMovie.jpg

4 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Agreed on the McGuire ASM movies. I liked those. Didn't even hate 3 completely lol. They lost me on their next batch of Spidey movies. I couldn't even finish the first one. Awful. I own the second one & never opened it. 

I actually re-watched Spider-Man 3 this summer. The first 90 minutes are quite good. It's the last 45 minutes that are total garbage.

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

One thing about Sony Marvel movies is they actually were quite good like ASM 1 and 2 with Tobey Maguire and Sam Raimi, so the question is how did Sony fall from making good super heroes movies or is it that the Kevin Feige Marvel movies keep growing to get better, and Sony just got stagnated in mediocrity?

Coincidentally I just answered this--they lucked out with Raimi, and they killed the golden goose by forcing him, Maguire, and Dunst out as a trio by having no respect for the auteur theory of film.  Which is made all the more asanine by Rami's flawless track record on the first two films.  Spider-Man 2 is still a masterpiece, and Sony is entirely to blame for that being the last good Spider-Man property they've produced.

12 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Also that was the main fault with the DC movies BvS and Justice League. Their cgi looked cheap or fake compared to Marvel`s. I remember Doomsday looked cheap and it stood out.

Maybe these movie studios should hire the guys who do the Marvel special effects or find a team like them?

This is the first I'm hearing of this. IMO the CGI is close-to-perfect in BvS.

Justice League's CGI is bad because Joss Whedon changed the color profile of the film. This profile is typically determined at the beginning of post-production. All CGI was done to Snyder's darker/blue profile. Once Whedon changed these colors to reds/oranges/purples most CGI had to be re-purposed or completely redone. All of this combined, with refusing to change the release date, ends up in the poor final product.

Oh, also, Steppenwolf was originally supposed to look identical to the BvS render. Joss Whedon made him humanoid which is why his CGI looks so bad.

For the most part, Whedon is to blame for Justice League's CGI shortcomings. Zack Snyder is a very, very, visual director. He takes pride in his movies being "realistic" in physical appearance. It's a big reason that I love him. His visuals suspend disbelief of reality.

Edited by TwoPiece

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So at one time Sony could and did make good super hero movies, since then a huge disappointment. I wonder why the fall?

They continue to steer so far away from the comic versions that the characters aren't even recognizable and they lose everything that made them great. JMO

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Coincidentally I just answered this--they lucked out with Raimi, and they killed the golden goose by forcing him, Maguire, and Dunst out as a trio by having no respect for the auteur theory of film.  Which is made all the more asanine by Rami's flawless track record on the first two films.  Spider-Man 2 is still a masterpiece, and Sony is entirely to blame for that being the last good Spider-Man property they've produced.

The way I know this, by the way, is because both Raimi and Tobey Maguire openly said all of this to the press back after the release of Spider-Man 3 and while they were negotiating with him on a fourth film.  Raimi said he'd only do 4 if they gave him complete control back, and after it was clear they wouldn't he bolted.  Maguire separately said he agreed with Raimi's perspective and didn't want to be involved if Raimi wasn't given back the reigns.

Let me repeat--Sony did this to themselves by forcing Raimi out.  Nolan really didn't want to work forever in the superhero genre so there wasn't much Warner Brothers could do to keep him, but Raimi loves this stuff and really wanted to keep doing it.  Sony just wouldn't let him.  I'm still as bitter today about it was as I was a decade ago.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by fantastic_four

I feel pretty certain Amy Pascal didn't give Venom to Marvel Studios as some sort of a lame contract/pricing negotiation thing.  Nice job, you made the Superhero Hall of Shame by squeezing out a turd in the bottom 10% of critically reviewed superhero films.  :golfclap: :makepoint:

OK, I'm done ranting.  Despite my tirade over the last few posts I'm actually still looking forward to seeing this despite Sony's repeated incompetence with Spider-Man.  :angel:

Edited by fantastic_four

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

This is the first I'm hearing of this. IMO the CGI is close-to-perfect in BvS.

Justice League's CGI is bad because Joss Whedon changed the color profile of the film. This profile is typically determined at the beginning of post-production. All CGI was done to Snyder's darker/blue profile. Once Whedon changed these colors to reds/oranges/purples most CGI had to be re-purposed or completely redone. All of this combined, with refusing to change the release date, ends up in the poor final product.

Oh, also, Steppenwolf was originally supposed to look identical to the BvS render. Joss Whedon made him humanoid which is why his CGI looks so bad.

For the most part, Whedon is to blame for Justice League's CGI shortcomings. Zack Snyder is a very, very, visual director. He takes pride in his movies being "realistic" in physical appearance. It's a big reason that I love him. His visuals suspend disbelief of reality.

I liked most of BvS, but it was the last act that disappointed me, as soon as I saw Doomsday I thought to myself he looks fake CGI like something from a video game from 2002, and right about than I then figured out they were going to pull out the old let's kill Superman card which virtually killed the movie for me because I guessed the ending of the movie with at least a half hour to go. 

So BvS pretty much a decent movie until the final chapters.

:foryou:

btw I still haven't seen the directors cut. I did hear it was much better.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

And back up to 30%.

IMDb is at 7.1. 

Someone want to explain how a movie that isn't out has over 6000 imdb ratings ? (shrug)

-J.

I've got a Con on Saturday but I'm planning on going to see it on Sunday.  My fingers are crossed its as good as Suicide Squad (which I enjoyed).

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

I liked most of BvS, but it was the last act that disappointed me, as soon as I saw Doomsday I thought to myself he looks fake CGI like something from a video game from 2002, and right about than I then figured out they were going to pull out the old let's kill Superman card which virtually killed the movie for me because I guessed the ending of the movie with at least a half hour to go. 

So BvS pretty much a decent movie until the final chapters.

:foryou:

btw I still haven't seen the directors cut. I did hear it was much better.

It "solves" all but 1 problem (Martha). The 3rd act is mostly the same, but man oh man, the story is great and cohesive in the Ultimate Edition. It's a Top-10 movie for me. If you don't like/love The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman, though, then the premises themselves mean this movie isn't for you. Zack Snyder pays homage to dozens and dozens of comic books and panels in the movie. It's a f^&*ing dream/childhood come true.

I found watching the movie in theaters, that some of the CGI was difficult to follow in the 3rd act, but Doomsday looked realistic to me. I've seen the Director's Cut dozens of times, though, so that may skew my memory. Watching it on a 50/60" TV the CGI seems relatively perfect.

I'd like to give a little love back to Amazing Spider-Man, the one with Lizard.  I really liked it.  It's nowhere near as good as the first two Raimi films, but it's a lot of fun.  Andrew Garfield did great in it, and they captured the pure fun and excitement of Spidey's extreme agility and his taunting sense of humor better than Raimi or the overly-serious Tobey Maguire were able to.  I actually left that film wanting to take up parkour as a hobby to imagine myself being like the Spidey they depicted in that film.

Venom still tracking big no matter what the critics say.

Venom On Track For Record $60 Million Domestic Opening

https://www.cbr.com/venom-box-office-opening-estimate/

Despite the film’s largely negative early reviews, Sony’s Venom looks set to break an October box office record.

Early projections indicated Venom could prove to break an October box office record with projections at the time suggesting an opening of between $55 million and $85 million was entirely possible. Of course, that was before reviews began to hit. But in the latest tracking report from Deadline, director Ruben Fleischer’s film is on a course to take the top spot at the domestic box office this weekend with a haul of between $60 million and $65 million, a new October box office record — surpassing the 2013 debut of Gravity.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yeah, I am seeing it Tuesday or Wednesday. I still expect it to be a fun movie. I am going in with the mindset it`s a popcorn movie and not a Schindler's List. Usually this strategy works. lol.

It WAS entertaining, but ultimately forgettable in my opinion. And a wise-cracking Venom just seemed wrong to me, but the last Venom book I ever read was Deathtrap: The Vault. So clearly I have no clue how the character has evolved since in the comics... Regardless, I find it lazy to make ALL characters 'funny', but it seems to be a winning formula. Just look at Guardians of the Galaxy. Those characters sure weren't funny in the comics back in the day.

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Doomsday looked topnotch compared to what I saw last night in Venom. Right off the bat, the opening scene with the [NO SPOILER] falling from [NO SPOILER] looked like it was straight out of an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation. 

i think they had no choice but to go for the humor angle, considering the CGI looked so poor in the trailer.  those teeth!  they look like a gaggle of uncolored candy corn

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The Amazing Spider-Man 1 was really good IMO. I might like it better than Spider-Man 2.

Are you talking about the Raimi Spider-Man movies with Tobey Maguire or The Amazing Spider-Man movies with Andrew Garfield? I for one could not stomach the latter series.