• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

How is that at all similar?  The Marvel Creative Committee consisted of a group of the most successful creators of content at Marvel from the past few decades.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the failure of that group.  On the one hand, Kevin Feige didn't like it and has proven that he alone can guide these films to be of a consistently high quality.  On the other hand, if he leaves or dies then as far as anyone can tell from the outside Marvel is just as screwed as DC currently is.  I still think that committee can work given a different structure and is probably superior to relying on one man even if it is Saint Feige, hallowed be his name.  (worship)

What is crystal clear is that it really wasn't working as previously organized.  The Committee had a slew of wins, but also an almost-equally long list of losses.  Marvel lost a dozen or two stars, writers, and directors who clashed with the Committee members, and certainly that had to stop.

The Marvel Creative Committee basically "destroyed" Joss Whedon prior to their demise. They imposed so many guidelines and restrictions that Age of Ultron wasn't any fun for him to direct.

Considering that Whedon was slated to also direct both Avengers 3 and 4, it comes as no surprise that Feige canned the group after that experience.

2 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:
34 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I must have me stupid head on tonight valiantman as that post sailed right over it! Is it an American thing? I'm English remember :insane:

Farmers Insurance commercial jingle....J.K. is the spokesperson for them....

Yep

J.K. Simmons was a definitive JJJ, but lately, he has just been the definitive Farmers Insurance guy.

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, Bearcatcoach said:

Farmers Insurance commercial jingle....J.K. is the spokesperson for them....

No wonder! @valiantman - English commercial jokes only please! :grin:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I don't know any English commercial jokes.  Aren't they all about marmite and currants? hm

giphy (2).gif

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Considering that Whedon was slated to also direct both Avengers 3 and 4, it comes as no surprise that Feige canned the group after that experience.

It was also part of a power play to get out from under Ike Perlmutter's thumb.  I still have very little opinion about the dissolution of the Committee other than I don't fully understand the politics between Marvel Studios and Marvel proper, and certainly Feige himself has proven to be doing better without them than with them.  I'm still optimistic they can play a valuable role to keep Marvel as a whole creating better films, just not one where they exert the amount of editorial control they previously had.

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff, but based on the body of work, I would actually argue the opposite has occurred.  It seems to me that MCU directors have LESS creative control than their DC counterparts.  You see this in how all MCU movies share a similar tone.  Heck, you see this with Disney and the carousel of directors that have come and gone for the various Star Wars projects simply because the powers that be at Disney disagreed with the product the directors were making.

I mean, look at the DC movies through the years.  Superman Returns was different than Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy which was different from Snyder's work which was different from Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad.

Obviously there's a lot of continuity within the MCU. Granted, that does "limit" creativity, but a relatively small degree without the MCC. There's definitely more fluidity with guidelines and restrictions. There are things that the MCU is willing to retcon in the purpose for a better film and a better franchise.

Superman Returns and Green Lantern have nothing to do with the current DC Worlds blueprint. Snyder helped develop Wonder Woman but had nothing to do with Suicide Squad (which is why onewas a success and the other an utter failure). DC has more contrast between films, for sure, but there universe is also infantile in comparison to the decade-long history of the MCU.

Just now, valiantman said:

Pretty much everything I know about England comes from "Are You Being Served?" reruns. :whistle:

The last person that said that got me suspended for a week. I posted a gif of Mrs Slocombe's cat. They didn't refer to it as a cat of course. Nor did I.  The mod didn't see it my way....

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Pretty much everything I know about England comes from "Are You Being Served?" reruns. :whistle:

The boards are great aren't they. How do we go from Venom to Mrs Slocombe from Are You Being Served! lol

Just now, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

The boards are great aren't they. How do we go from Venom to Mrs Slocombe from Are You Being Served! lol

J.K. Simmons is like the Kevin Bacon of comic book conversations.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It was also part of a power play to get out from under Ike Perlmutter's thumb.  I still have very little opinion about the dissolution of the Committee other than I don't fully understand the politics between Marvel Studios and Marvel proper, and certainly Feige himself has proven to be doing better without them than with them.  I'm still optimistic they can play a valuable role to keep Marvel as a whole creating better films, just not one where the exert the amount of editorial control they previously had.

Too many cooks in the kitchen is usually a bad thing. I have 3 other Engineers that have to approve design in my current business (excluding manufacturing feasibility and plant leaders). At my old place, it was myself and 1 other person. Turnaround times are 2 weeks longer here despite being unnecessary.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:
11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Everything I know about England, I learned from Top Gear.

I feel like Are You Being Served? is a more accurate portrayal.  How does a British guy riding in foreign cars teach you anything about England?  You should be listening to Mr. Humphries tell a customer his sport coat sleeves will ride up with wear.

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't see how Sony can be planning any sequels when Marvel Studios will be taking over (hopefully) shortly. This movie won't do well enough or be good enough for the MCU to carry-on any additional solo ventures.

Marvel studios will be taking over shortly? Not sure I follow?

Anyhow, i won't attempt to be Nostradamus and predict it will or won't do well enough. I'll just let the chips fall where they may 

I try not to have any preconceptions because it's entirely possible for a studio to put out great trailers for a poor movie. Although it's tough since I love the character so much.

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Anyhow, i won't attempt to be Nostradamus and predict it will or won't do well enough. I'll just let the chips fall where they may 

I try not to have any preconceptions because it's entirely possible for a studio to put out great trailers for a poor movie. Although it's tough since I love the character so much.

I've said too much.

23 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
30 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It was also part of a power play to get out from under Ike Perlmutter's thumb.  I still have very little opinion about the dissolution of the Committee other than I don't fully understand the politics between Marvel Studios and Marvel proper, and certainly Feige himself has proven to be doing better without them than with them.  I'm still optimistic they can play a valuable role to keep Marvel as a whole creating better films, just not one where the exert the amount of editorial control they previously had.

Too many cooks in the kitchen is usually a bad thing. I have 3 other Engineers that have to approve design in my current business (excluding manufacturing feasibility and plant leaders). At my old place, it was myself and 1 other person. Turnaround times are 2 weeks longer here despite being unnecessary.

We don't hear much about how Feige controls content, it's just clear that he doesn't parse off the film talent like the Marvel Creative Committee does and therefore has either a far lighter touch or is just better at working with them to create a great product.  I know Quesada and some of the other Committee members gave hard creative decisions that Whedon and Jon Favreau hated but that they were forced to live with that negatively impacted both films (Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron) that caused both directors to stop working with Marvel Studios.

This all matters greatly because Feige can't do everything.  Marvel's TV universe still mostly sucks and is in need of the Feige special sauce, just not from him directly.  He's got to have some people to back him up, and I'm pretty sure there's a viable way to funnel the creative abilities of Marvel writers and/or artists into the film side in a positive way since that's essentially the edge that Feige himself has over his rival studio executives.  Everything going through Feige also severely limits how good the film universe can be as it grows.  Can Feige really also make sure that Fantastic Four and X-Men do well?  What about all of the other future spin-offs?  Feige just can't do it all, and it's not ideal for him to even try, despite the overwhelming success he's had relative to everyone else in the film industry.

Edited by fantastic_four

16 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:
7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't see how Sony can be planning any sequels when Marvel Studios will be taking over (hopefully) shortly. This movie won't do well enough or be good enough for the MCU to carry-on any additional solo ventures.

I assume it's the same conjecture I have, that Amy Pascal's bosses are going to eventually realize the common denominator in the failures in the Spider-Man universe are mostly related to her.  Which isn't anything against her in particular; I'm sure she's a fine executive, it's just clear she has no more sense of how to make a good superhero movie than Avi Arad did, or the DC execs do, or whoever has passed through the revolving CEO door at 20th Century Fox did.  It's not her background or her area of interest, so there's no reason to think she can ever do what Feige does except when fortune favors her with good directors who take up the creative mantle on their own.

Edited by fantastic_four