• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

Mendelson, the Forbes guy that's mathematically challenged, says $400MM, maybe $500MM WW total.  Even conservatively figuring that 2nd weekend drop will be huge and Halloween will crush it in weekend 3, $180MM US + $270MM Int'l + China (which is a wildcard) would seem to suggest that $500MM+ is a lock and $550MM is possible.

Not looking likely at this point.

Record breaking Monday gross for October (and yes, Mendelson's final predictions, like most everything that isn't a DC flick, are nutso).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/10/09/box-office-tom-hardys-venom-should-swing-past-100-million-today/amp/

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

14 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Depends on what you like.  Personally I think they're both worth it but I can see how some people might not want to wait for the second one.

But if you have nothing to do afterwards might as well stay an extra 10 minutes to get everything you paid for.  Or just YouTube it.

That's what I do now. Just Youtube it. Who wants to sit thru credits for over 10 minutes? Watch movie than go into your car and youtube it on your smartphone. (thumbsu 

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That's what I do now. Just Youtube it. Who wants to sit thru credits for over 10 minutes? Watch movie than go into your car and youtube it on your smartphone. (thumbsu 

They really look like crud on those smartphone videos people take them with though.  I re-watched the first post-credits scene on YouTube when I got home last night and could barely see it.

Edited by fantastic_four

I get that audiences and critics are at odds on this movie for the most part, but saying anyone, ever, should be 'aborted at birth' is out of line. 

I too saw the movie and thought it was about a 'C' -- 5/10.  Hardy's weird and wonderful performance makes the film work, and seeing Venom on screen is indeed fun, but as a movie it's got all kinds of problems (pace, continuity, -script most of all).  That people are enjoying it, though, is great!  I just didn't think it was a very good movie overall.

Dan

Saw it on Tuesday & it's making bank for a reason. It was everything I hoped it would be :cloud9:! Woah I'm just blown away by how they created this very difficult character to portray on screen!!! The trailers just don't do the CGI justice. Trust me you've have got to see this on the big screen as opposed to Blue ray. Venom and other symbiotes just looked insanely realistic and creepy in a good way.

As for the movie I'd give it a solid B. Can't give it an A because it diverted too much from the comics and of course the absence of the spider symbol on Venom. Just a few minor critics... It took way way to looong for the symbiote to finally show up. I thought Riz Ahmed's character was just a bit robotic. The chase scene on the motor cycle was too long. 

Hardy was as good as advertised! Really loved the parts where he was first feeling the effects of the parasite. The guy literally looked like he was about to drop dead! Amazing acting job! Also loved when Venom called Eddie the "P" word. Those who saw the movie would know what I mean. It had everydoby in the theater laughing.

The first post credit scene got me jacked up for the sequel. Sony well surpassed all expectations and I'm just over the moon about this franchise!!!

Everyone should see it as soon as possible (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Drummy said:

I get that audiences and critics are at odds on this movie for the most part, but saying anyone, ever, should be 'aborted at birth' is out of line. 

Why, I say that about people daily?  (shrug)

A human life is a great thing to waste!

The homeless problem here on the west coast is getting out of hand.  Most of these bums are drug using worthless filth that are aggressive and are a danger to other people walking by them .  I wish the Life Foundation would continue to take these people off the streets with the same results the movie showed.

Am I still out of line?

I kid I kid  :shy:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

45 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Why, I say that about people daily?  (shrug)

A human life is a great thing to waste!

The homeless problem here on the west coast is getting out of hand.  Most of these bums are drug using worthless filth that are aggressive and are a danger to other people walking by them .  I wish the Life Foundation would continue to take these people off the streets with the same results the movie showed.

Am I still out of line?

I kid I kid  :shy:

In all seriousness there are probably 3 people I could think of where that would apply. 

Hitler

Pol Pot, leader of the Khmer Rouge 

Caligula (mentally ill or not)

Venom should've had a visit or two with those clowns :devil:

K back to the movie...

Edited by MGsimba77

Just saw it.  Well I guess the best thing I can say is that I did not throw up in my mouth like I thought I would after seeing only the trailers to judge by.

Hard to say what I liked and didn't like without spoilers so I will just be as general as possible.

Things I liked:

1. easter eggs, references, and homages

2. Venom symbiot form and movement when not in a host.

3. Explanation of the symbiot-host relationship, compatibility, and sustainment

4. All the examples of creative venom weapons and venomization especially that 1 scene towards the end.

5. fight scene at the end.

Things I didn't like:

1. The acting - from any of the characters. 

2. The plot and all plot vehicles.

3. The Venom form when on Eddie. 

4. To me the interaction and relationship between Eddie and Venom was awkward, ill paced, and just not authentic, felt rushed and forced.

5. The reason for the alien symbiot changing its mind about its ulterior motives.  Just felt weak and contrived.  It was kind of like the BvS Martha moment.

6. Lack of more gore but I'm ok not having seen too much blood and carnage but it would have made for a bit more of a thrill.

7. The pace of the movie.

8. The forced suspension of disbelief.  Really, you're going generate that many explosions in the middle of downtown SF and not have DHS, FBI, and every major CT task force hunting Venom and the antagonist?

9.  The lack of spider-man in this movie

10. The lack of the white spider on his Venom form.

11. The lack of any webbing used - I get it this is not a Spider-man origin Venom but the stuff used instead of webbing looked goofy

12. Plot holes and errors.

I'm glad it's doing well enough to gain support for a sequel but I hope they spend more money on CGI and improvements on the acting, plot, and just about everything else.  It wasn't a terrible movie but is was a B-movie superhero.  I put it on par with Hulk 1. I think most Venom fans are just happy to see the character they love on the big screen and doing the vigilante lethal protector badass things that Venom does.  The next movie may have potential with the first credits scene but man they need to spend some of that profit money on getting a better wig for Woody.

From a guy who sat through all the trash 70s/80s movies and tv shows just to see not my favorite super hero but really any super heroes at all I guess I’m not as picky as a lot of amateur critics! Personally I felt that the movie did just what it was supposed to do, and that’s entertain me for roughly (2) hours. I thought it did that and much more! I have to say, well done Venom!!!

I look forward to the next one!!!

Edited by captnwilli

I thought this was a bad movie that ended up being pretty darn entertaining anyway thanks to Tom Hardy's wackadoodle performance. He completely made this film. Imagine someone playing this material straight — like all the other in the film actors were — and I think we would have had a Daredevil level movie here at best. Like... imagine Daredevil-era Ben Affleck playing the lead in this movie and I think you'll get an idea of how bad this film actually was without Tom Hardy.

Hardy was great though. I enjoyed myself, at least, I did once Eddie got infected with Venom. I wish that had happened in the first scene, though, because it was a slog to get to the fun part. 

On 10/9/2018 at 6:06 AM, paperheart said:

Mendelson, the Forbes guy that's mathematically challenged, says $400MM, maybe $500MM WW total.  Even conservatively figuring that 2nd weekend drop will be huge and Halloween will crush it in weekend 3, $180MM US + $270MM Int'l + China (which is a wildcard) would seem to suggest that $500MM+ is a lock and $550MM is possible.

check - The weekend once again belongs to Sony’s Venom and Warner Bros.’ A Star Is Born which are respectively looking at second weekends of $29.6M (-63%) and $27M (-37%).

16 hours ago, paperheart said:

check - The weekend once again belongs to Sony’s Venom and Warner Bros.’ A Star Is Born which are respectively looking at second weekends of $29.6M (-63%) and $27M (-37%).

Stop.  Don't be disingenuous.  ~60% second week declines is typical for the genre.  

You're also overlooking the $30MM it made in mid-week business domestically.

-J.