• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hogwash.

When movies reach this level of financial success it is BECAUSE of repeat (theatrical) views, not in spite of.

-J.

$220MM US doesn't scream "repeat viewings."  How many saw Solo ($213MM) twice? Ant-Man & Wasp ($216MM)?  Now, BP's $700MM, A:IW $680MM - those numbers scream repeat viewings. 

40 minutes ago, revat said:

I agree, they left money on the table, but could this really have been a billion dollar movie even if it was good?  But I think they positioned themselves to do well with an improved sequel.  They obviously got a great ROI, so would it have been worth it to put in another $50M-$75M for better effects to make just $150M more?  That ROI isn't great.  I don't think they're too far from their revenue ceiling for this movie, whereas something like Justice League ended pretty near their revenue floor.

Sure - I get that. As I see it, Sony did two things extraordinarily well with this film:

1) Cast Tom Hardy

2) Control costs

The second one is the most critical lesson, and one they likely learned after spending $230 million on production costs alone for The Amazing Spider-Man and at least $255 million on Amazing Spider-Man 2.

But...the story sucked.

It was a _huge_ missed opportunity on the order of Justice League or Suicide Squad.

And sure - a solid multiplier due to the (relatively) low budget, but it still didn't come close to the multipliers of this year's fellow October entries Halloween or A Star Is Born - let alone last year's runaway fall film (albeit September release), It.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sure - I get that. As I see it, Sony did two things extraordinarily well with this film:

1) Cast Tom Hardy

2) Control costs

The second one is the most critical lesson, and one they likely learned after spending $230 million on production costs alone for The Amazing Spider-Man and at least $255 million on Amazing Spider-Man 2.

But...the story sucked.

It was a _huge_ missed opportunity on the order of Justice League or Suicide Squad.

And sure - a solid multiplier due to the (relatively) low budget, but it still didn't come close to the multipliers of this year's fellow October entries Halloween or A Star Is Born - let alone last year's runaway fall film (albeit September release), It.

You, sir are the king of goal post moving.  (thumbsu

-J.

8 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$220MM US doesn't scream "repeat viewings."  How many saw Solo ($213MM) twice? Ant-Man & Wasp ($216MM)?  Now, BP's $700MM, A:IW $680MM - those numbers scream repeat viewings. 

Your answer is to now compare this movie to two of the biggest movies of all time ?

Come on man.

-J.

31 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Your answer is to now compare this movie to two of the biggest movies of all time ?

Come on man.

-J.

you said "BECAUSE of repeat views" (sic) based on absolutely nothing. there is no credible evidence or data on what % of box office comes from repeat viewings.  i actually compared it to Solo & A-M&W, hard to imagine those very similar US #'s were "BECAUSE of repeat views" (sic). maybe you should check your deadly accurate sources who don't know that Thursday preview box office is rolled into Friday's reported results or those that guess opening weekend and total estimated grosses by throwing darts.

4 minutes ago, paperheart said:

you said "BECAUSE of repeat views" (sic) based on absolutely nothing. there is no credible evidence or data on what % of box office comes from repeat viewings.  i actually compared it to Solo & A-M&W, hard to imagine those very similar US #'s were "BECAUSE of repeat views" (sic). maybe you should check your deadly accurate sources who don't know that Thursday preview box office is rolled into Friday's reported results or those that guess opening weekend and total estimated grosses by throwing darts.

Do I really need to get a slide rule and protractor out and diagram a fancy chart with audience viewing trends to state the obvious- that an ~$800MM earner, multi-week worldwide #1 movie has had repeat theatrical viewings ?  Your "petty" is showing again.

-J.

Jaydog, IMO you should stop jerking this movie off.

It's not a good film. Making "multiple" dollars compared to budget isn't impressive.

I don't know a single person who saw it more than once, including tons of the internet.

Did your dad cameo in it or something? I don't understand your fetish for this movie having some kind of positive reputation.

Are we still arguing about this hit movie.  Was it great - no.  Was it enjoyable and different - yes.  I know the number of comic movies is in a lull right now but it seems overkill to still be arguing about a movie that was so successful at the box office.

11 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Still haven't seen this yet.  Will wait till they air it on hbo or whatever.  Even then, I hate watching something that will insult my intelligence.  

You should definitely watch it, but I don't think you'll lose anything waiting until HBO or some other streaming.  You might actually notice LESS how some of the effects don't work watching it on a small screen with sub-optimal lighting.

16 hours ago, revat said:

You should definitely watch it, but I don't think you'll lose anything waiting until HBO or some other streaming.  You might actually notice LESS how some of the effects don't work watching it on a small screen with sub-optimal lighting.

100% agree with this.

You need to see it 1 time. Then never again. lol 

Edited by TwoPiece
Edit: 666!

w/ $153MM in China through Thursday, even if it falls 70% this weekend final total will be $225MM (> than US).  ultimately, this is why Sony went PG-13, it's always all about the $.

w/ Friday only down 65%, $250MM+ China total seems possible. probable

Edited by paperheart

5 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:
3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The China haul is amazing.

Sony's really going to bend Disney over to buy Columbia Pictures from them now.  :eek:

What's Columbia Pictures?  I can't keep track of who owns what anymore.

Sony bought Columbia Pictures in 1989 and renamed it to Sony Pictures in 1991.