• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Ugh. That's just terrible. Where's George Perez when you need him? Mark Schultz? John Byrne? Mike Mignola? 

He's right up there with Liefeld IMHO. 

Agree with the Spider-Man work.  It wasn't good.  But I really enjoyed his early Savage Dragon run.  It was well drawn, colorful, and vibrant.  Maybe the print quality made the difference(shrug).

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Shrug

6 hours ago, O. said:
13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way...the Larsen Venom from ASM #331-333 is far, far better than the slobbering goober of #346 and #347....

I'm of the exact opposite sentiment!

You can have your green slime, then.

:sumo:

lol

I'm all-for comic book movies deviating from source material. It's fun not knowing exactly what's going to happen in every movie and every plot/story, but...

Has there ever been a Venom origin in which it didn't develop from Spider-Man..? I don't like the concept of Venom's appearance not having the white spider, and him having the spider-like abilities without adapting them from his bond to Spider-Man. To me, that iconic relationship is important to bringing the adaptation to life on the big screen for me. Otherwise, it's not really Venom to me.

5 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm all-for comic book movies deviating from source material. It's fun not knowing exactly what's going to happen in every movie and every plot/story, but...

Has there ever been a Venom origin in which it didn't develop from Spider-Man..? I don't like the concept of Venom's appearance not having the white spider, and him having the spider-like abilities without adapting them from his bond to Spider-Man. To me, that iconic relationship is important to bringing the adaptation to life on the big screen for me. Otherwise, it's not really Venom to me.

THIS is what concerns me most about this movie and it's potential integration with the Spider-Man universe should that ever develop. (let me preface by saying I get that this Venom iteration may just be intended as a direct to lethal protector Venom minus all the baggage.)  For me that is too 1 dimensional without the earlier struggle and WHY would Venom have spider-man like abilities without the interaction/origin tie-in with Spidey? I just rewatched the SM Homecoming movie again last weekend and though it does have its merits (and I'm trying hard not to compare it to my favorite aspects from SM 1 and 2) it was sorely missing ANY Daily bugle/JJJ/references which have always been a key part of Peter Parker's life  early on in the comics.  Hell, half the funny scenes in the original SM movies were with JJJ (great actor they cast for him).  Without the Daily Bugle angle, it's hard to shoehorn Eddie Brock's hatred for Peter Parker let alone the symbiot's.  

What I thought might transpire before I saw the first trailers was that the movie would be set in the future from the current MCU and Eddie had to move to the west coast after being fired from the Bugle due to being exposed by PP as a fraud.  Having sought refuge there he was able to land another job with another paper.  I then hoped that the symbiot costume would have been introduced in the MCU from Infinity War similarly to how it was in Secret Wars 8 and conclude with it being rejected by him and then found by Eddie or based on the trailers, some organization that held it captive until it encountered Eddie.  For Venom ever to hold a grudge against Spidey there will have to be some severe event in the cross-over where both symbiot and Brock sustain a loss or emotional pain directly or indirectly due to Spidey's actions.  Perhaps spidey fails to save someone Venom loves or someone Venom loves dies as a result of interference/action from Spidey.

For me the depth and development of Venom is all about:

1. Spawning from the mutual hatred of PP due to flawed morality, emotional pain and abandonment

2. Absolute Obsession and dedication to nothing else but the destruction of PP/SM

3. Internal struggle with Brock's Christian beliefs and morality vs the rationale for hating PP weighed against not wanting to hurt anyone innocent in the process.

4. Ultimate transition and rebirth into a vigilante/lethal protector/anti-hero

But ok, they want to go straight to badass mode with Venom AND give him the same powers?  I hope they have a decent explanation for it otherwise I'll be looking forward to the reboot in another 3-5 years. Rant over.

BTW: IMHO The cover to ASM #300 is a classic cover. (the issue/story may be another matter)  My opinion is based upon:

1. it's repeated emulation/imitation/spoofing by multiple artists, titles, publishers

2. it is coveted by many for its simplistic artistic appeal and as a McFarlane cover.

3. It is a work of art that has established value and recognized by collectors (the book sells for thousands in HG, the OA is nearly priceless I would imagine)

4. The cover is iconic and stands out among other covers.

But I'm also biased as I'm a big fan so yeah back to Venom movie talk...

Edited by justafan

7 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Yes, "Venom first host" is a miniseries that goes into the pre Eddie origin of the symbiote. First issue just came out. There are a few new characters, the original symbiote host appears at the beginning of issue #1. There's an altercation between 2 other new characters on the last page. They're names are not mentioned since it ends abruptly in a "to be continued". 

I don't think this has anything to do with the movie but who the hell knows??? I'll give it a chance but it'll take some interesting creativity for them to somehow integrate PP into this setting they seem to have going here.

At least they made Venom look decent but in general non MCU comic movies suck...

10 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Yes.  Ultimate Venom.  Prior rights agreements have forced almost all of these movies to deviate from their source material, if not all of them. However strict adherence to source material is far less important to me than delivering an interesting and exciting movie and from the early looks of things Sony has done that, and from early tracking it will be a big hit for them.  

And Venom has no spider powers that I've seen from the trailers.  Only tendrils, not webbing, and they don't show him climbing any walls.

-J.

2 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yes, "Venom first host" is a miniseries that goes into the pre Eddie origin of the symbiote. First issue just came out. There are a few new characters, the original symbiote host appears at the beginning of issue #1. There's an altercation between 2 other new characters on the last page. They're names are not mentioned since it ends abruptly in a "to be continued". 

I don't think this has anything to do with the movie but who the hell knows??? I'll give it a chance but it'll take some interesting creativity for them to somehow integrate PP into this setting they seem to have going here.

At least they made Venom look decent but in general non MCU comic movies suck...

Deadpool 1 and 2, xmen 2000, xmen 2, xmen first class. Logan, and days of future????? Some non-mcu movies have sucked (Spider-Man 3, xmen apocalypse and woleverine origins) but I would not say “in general.” If venom is on par with those first movies I listed it will be well received by critics and fans. I hope so

11 hours ago, jason4 said:

Deadpool 1 and 2, xmen 2000, xmen 2, xmen first class. Logan, and days of future????? Some non-mcu movies have sucked (Spider-Man 3, xmen apocalypse and woleverine origins) but I would not say “in general.” If venom is on par with those first movies I listed it will be well received by critics and fans. I hope so

You can't really measure Deadpool and Logan against the MCU because of their Rated-R natures.

X-Men and X2 both preceded the MCU's existence (as did X-Men 3).

IMO First Class sucked. Days of Future's Past was good, though. And then Apocalypse sucked.

I hope Venom is good, but I'm very skeptical. At least they did well by casting Tom Hardy.

4 hours ago, paperheart said:

Review Embargo for 'Venom' is October 2nd, 7:30pm PT

bodes well, 46 hours before the first screening.  sticking to my sub 40 RT prediction.

Not a good sign after Justice League embargo fiasco. I hope it at least beats the new Predator movie which was 34 RT.

:wishluck:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 9/12/2018 at 8:35 AM, TwoPiece said:

You can't really measure Deadpool and Logan against the MCU because of their Rated-R natures.

X-Men and X2 both preceded the MCU's existence (as did X-Men 3).

IMO First Class sucked. Days of Future's Past was good, though. And then Apocalypse sucked.

I hope Venom is good, but I'm very skeptical. At least they did well by casting Tom Hardy.

I hope it is good as well. I think the character is awesome. Well,I guess we will know soon.