• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

A perfect example of a Spider-Man fan loving the character but hating Venom is Sam Raimi.  He's made no secret of the fact that he never liked Venom as a character nor did he ever want to include him in Spider-Man 3 but that Sony forced it upon him.  I was 13 when Secret Wars 8 came out and 17 when Spidey 300 came out so I was the target audience, but I've always seen a wide dislike among older fans for Venom.  I've never fully understood why that is, but I do know that my own favorite part of the character is the near-infinite variety inherent in an organism that can shape itself into almost anything like the symbiote can.  The extremes that McFarlane took that to--including that over-the-top gaping mouth of teeth with the slobbering tongue--was massively appealing to me, but I can see older fans not being able to get past the suspension of disbelief required to believe that any organism could ever be so powerful or not caring so much about the infinite variety inherent to the physics of the symbiote.

Edited by fantastic_four

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

A perfect example of a Spider-Man fan loving the character but hating Venom is Sam Raimi.  He's made no secret of the fact that he never liked Venom as a character nor did he ever want to include him in Spider-Man 3 but that Sony forced it upon him.  I was 13 when Secret Wars 8 came out and 17 when Spidey 300 came out so I was the target audience, but I've always seen a wide dislike among older fans for Venom.  I've never fully understood why that is, but I do know that my own favorite part of the character is the near-infinite variety inherent in an organism that can shape itself into almost anything like the symbiote can.  The extremes that McFarlane took that to--including that over-the-top gaping mouth of teeth with the slobbering tongue--was massively appealing to me, but I can see older fans not being able to get past the suspension of disbelief required to believe that any organism could ever be so powerful or not caring so much about the infinite variety inherent to the physics of the symbiote.

I don’t have these hang ups having never read a Marvel comic, I judge all the films on their individual merits. I like Tom Hardy but from the trailer this has rental all over it for me, the CGI just doesn't look good and I think they really should have gone for a much mature rated movie.

Just now, bane said:

I don’t have these hang ups having never read a Marvel comic, I judge all the films on their individual merits. I like Tom Hardy but from the trailer this has rental all over it for me, the CGI just doesn't look good and I think they really should have gone for a much mature rated movie.

I agree with this.

People, if this is R rated they'd have ZERO chance of ever being able to work in Tom Holland's spider man character. They would need Disney's approval due to contractual reasons. 

The nitpicking over the CGI is crazy! Too shiney? Really O.o? Too many teeth?...

Since Spider-Man wore it around for years I just assumed it looked like a spandex suit like all the superheroes wore rather than an oily covering.  I mean can you imagine Spider-Man in a oily looking suit?  That said since this origin doesn't include Spider-Man I don't have an issue with this look for this Venom.

9 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The Glenlivet sucks. This is not an authentic Man Card.

Have you tried Glenlivet 18?  Or are you thinking of the 12?  I've never had 18, but if the difference between the 12 and 18 are as striking as that of a Macallan 12 vs 18, then maybe it's not as bad as you think.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

People, if this is R rated they'd have ZERO chance of ever being able to work in Tom Holland's spider man character. They would need Disney's approval due to contractual reasons. 

The nitpicking over the CGI is crazy! Too shiney? Really O.o? Too many teeth?...

Not enough tongue.  :grin:

-J.

World's most forgiving audience, those invited to world premiere and plied w/ food and drinks, is beginning to tweet and it ain't good.

Sorry to say that #Venom is pretty much a complete failure - a tonal mess that feels 15 years old, ignoring the storytelling strides that the superhero genre has made in recent years. A few fun Venom-centric moments aside, it has nearly nothing to offer. Don't get your hopes up.

Significant chunks of #Venom don’t work *at all* but there is some serious charm to the Eddie/Venom relationship. Not sure I had the intended reactions to some scenes but fun is fun - even when it’s totally ridiculous, right? It’s too bad they didn’t go for the R rating though.

Social embargo for #Venom is up. I talk about this a lot in my review but this is a movie that somehow slipped through a wormhole from 2004. That's my biggest take. It's a movie that spilled from the pre-MCU era through a crack in time and space.

Action-sequences and Eddie and Venom's odd relationship are the highlights of #Venom but if Sony wants to move forward with a universe, it needs to just keep the few parts that work and scrap the large portion which doesn't.

4 hours ago, paperheart said:

World's most forgiving audience, those invited to world premiere and plied w/ food and drinks, is beginning to tweet and it ain't good.

Sorry to say that #Venom is pretty much a complete failure - a tonal mess that feels 15 years old, ignoring the storytelling strides that the superhero genre has made in recent years. A few fun Venom-centric moments aside, it has nearly nothing to offer. Don't get your hopes up.

Significant chunks of #Venom don’t work *at all* but there is some serious charm to the Eddie/Venom relationship. Not sure I had the intended reactions to some scenes but fun is fun - even when it’s totally ridiculous, right? It’s too bad they didn’t go for the R rating though.

Social embargo for #Venom is up. I talk about this a lot in my review but this is a movie that somehow slipped through a wormhole from 2004. That's my biggest take. It's a movie that spilled from the pre-MCU era through a crack in time and space.

Action-sequences and Eddie and Venom's odd relationship are the highlights of #Venom but if Sony wants to move forward with a universe, it needs to just keep the few parts that work and scrap the large portion which doesn't.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm going with 41% on Rotten Tomatoes. Anyone else?

14 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Have you tried Glenlivet 18?  Or are you thinking of the 12?  I've never had 18, but if the difference between the 12 and 18 are as striking as that of a Macallan 12 vs 18, then maybe it's not as bad as you think.

I've had the 12, 15, and 18. They're all just bad (downright awful compared to most Single Malts). The Macallan 18 is better than the 25. In fact, it's more difficult to procure, which is why the price has skyrocketed over the past 4 years.

The Glenmorangie is probably the best "starter" Scotch you can buy. I'm a big fan of all their wine cask-aged offerings, and the Signet is amazing despite being overpriced.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Terrible reviews....when should I pick up an asm 300?  My last copy got stolen 

Most likely January after the Christmas rush. Still though this could still be a big box office hit, and than the Rotten Tomatoes score won't have that much affect on ASM 300 sales. Venom is still tracking do to over 100 million world wide box office opening.

So if the critics are luke warm about it than it won't put a dent into Venom's popularity if the fans go out and enjoy it.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I couldn't care less about critical reviews. Critics "love" The Last Jedi and I hate it. Critics generally dislike Justice League and I thought it was entertaining despite the 30-second intro.

I'm planning on seeing it on the 15th with my dad and younger brother. Hopefully it's good. I'm keeping expectations tempered.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Just to clarify Disney's role in this--they had no role, right?  They produced Homecoming for Sony, but Sony produced Venom entirely on their own, didn't they?

I think you are correct. There is allegedly "no" correlation to the MCU, despite some "reports" that Tom Holland was on-set at times. My understanding is that Disney is not involved at all with this film.