• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I think you are correct. There is allegedly "no" correlation to the MCU, despite some "reports" that Tom Holland was on-set at times. My understanding is that Disney is not involved at all with this film.

Yes - we're expecting to see Holland as Peter Parker in a cameo, but no Spider-Man.

And jury's still out whether one of the two post-credit sequences -- which folks on Twitter were highlighting as among the best parts of the film -- will feature Woody Harrelson as Cletus and/or Carnage.

Edited by Gatsby77

Some early reviews...beats expectations (because it was low) and it doesn't suck:sick:.  Also more humorous than anticipated(shrug).

So I guess I'm gonna go into this movie and expect the unexpectedlol(thumbsu.

***"Reviews...meaning opinions/feelings (not movie details)

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Clarify "reviews"

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Just to clarify Disney's role in this--they had no role, right?  They produced Homecoming for Sony, but Sony produced Venom entirely on their own, didn't they?

Yes correct no role at all from Disney. Sony & MCU (which is owned by Disney) share movie rights to Peter Parker's Spider-man. 

Hopefully they can work out an agreement in future for a Spidey role but that would've been much less likely with an R rating

18 minutes ago, ghengishahn said:

C'mon man.  You can't just pick out one sentence and go with it.  If you read the entire article is shows reviews from bad to good.  So basically lots of varying opinions.

Plus whoever said it's "Catwoman level bad" is lying (or just trying to get attention).  Nothing is ever going to be THAT badlol.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss

19 minutes ago, ghengishahn said:

Clickbait. Try reading past the headline.  

Oh and are some of these the fake Lady Gaga troll-bot "reviews" I've been reading about ? Lol 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

49 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

C'mon man.  You can't just pick out one sentence and go with it.  If you read the entire article is shows reviews from bad to good.  So basically lots of varying opinions.

Plus whoever said it's "Catwoman level bad" is lying (or just trying to get attention).  Nothing is ever going to be THAT badlol.

Jeez... what's up with these Venom trolls?! Some weird s**t going on O.o

Thought this was interesting regarding the troll reviews (not sure how respectable movieweb is?)

https://movieweb.com/venom-negative-reviews-online-lady-gaga-fans/

In my completely unscientific and anecdotal research, I like to see how full the bookings are at the local big theaters.  Venom is already 80+% filled for the evening showings at least, so that bodes well - especially when I compare it to how Solo looked at this time.  Granted, Solo was also showing in twice as many theaters, but I don't think any where sold out and I'm guessing had a bigger expectation/budget/marketing push.

I hope it does well, however I'm not sure if I'll see it at the theater yet.  My 9-year daughter actually wants to see this (!), but I want to check out the reviews first as I like more of the "Ant-man" movie vibe.

My guess is $67m domestic opening and the expected roasting by the critics.

3 hours ago, paperheart said:

only 11 reviews in, but it's headed toward Green Lantern/ Suicide Squad level of terrible

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/venom-2018/critic-reviews

Yikes at 29 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, so far lower than Shane Black`s The Predator which is 34.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/venom_2018/

I will make a note to myself that from now on expect a low Rotten Tomatoes rating when they have embargos.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

So basically like we thought.The critics will roast Venom, but it should do enough bank at box office for at least a sequel.

Think of Friday the 13th and Freddy Kreuger movies of the 1980s. Critics ripped them, but the fans loved them to spawn multiple sequels.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

So basically like we thought.The critics will roast Venom, but it should do enough bank at box office for at least a sequel.

Think of Friday the 13th and Freddy Kreuger movies of the 1980s. Critics ripped them, but the fans loved them to spawn multiple sequels.

Those movies were cheap to make though....

42 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - it was at 29% positive two hours ago.

Now it's at 27% positive.

Even Suicide Squad settled at 28% after all the reviews were in.

Now at 25%. :whatthe:

Honestly, this is much worse than expected as I thought it be a middle level movie like in the 40s to 50s.

Now it's rating below DC movies that ended up winning raspberries/Razzies awards.