Venom Movie
3 3

1,184 posts in this topic

13,071 posts

This is probably nothing more than a money grab and is going to fail miserably.

 

Hopefully someone in the future will pick up the pieces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 posts

Sony last good superhero movie was Spider-man 2.

As a huge Venom fan I have zero confidence that without Marvel Studios holding their hand this will work.

Unless Spider-man Homecoming's post credit scene is with Eddie Brock finding the black symbiote somehow someway then this a who cares movie.  We don't need a Deadpool R-rated style Venom movie.  I don't mind a stand alone Venom movie then with the goal to have Spider-man in the 2nd or 3rd movie.  

I have never seen a company who has the ability to make so much FREE money with owning the Spider-man franchise and then not do so.

I wish Disney/Marvel would take extreme measures to illegally somehow get the rights back from Sony, and it would stand up in a court of law.  This is one time I want property rights to be taken illegally by the greatest shady team of lawyers known since the OJ Simpson case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,774 posts
3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

"Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project."

I just mess my pants in anticipation for this gem.  :sick:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 posts

I am all for competition in the marketplace and not a sole conglomerate, but not when it comes to comic book movie rights.

Disney/Marvel are the only company to ever exist to have shown they know how to make quality superhero movie.  Disney/Marvel has given comic book fans and Star Wars fans what we ask for constantly.  Fox and Sony rarely do.  Fox has made a couple decent X-men films and let's face it while I will give them credit for Logan, they were still stupid when it came to Deadpool.  That was all Ryan Reynolds effort and zero Fox.  That movie should have been made years ago but again Fox was too stupid to see the big picture (yes pun intended).   Fox and Sony when it comes to comic book movies are basic clowns who should all be fired and if they are lucky be working at the local movie box office ripping up entrance tickets. 

Fox and Sony only smart move would be keep the rights but let Marvel/Disney do all the work and they can just sit back and make a profit %.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85,846 posts
5 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

 

"Sony has tapped Dante Harper to pen a --script for Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland."

"Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project."

Venom is one of my Top 5 Spidey villains and I hope this flick is done right but I am not sure the "solo" route is the good way to go...How can they do Venom without Spidey? I mean, they CAN but this just seems like such an odd approach.  I have no problem with the solo franchise route but to me, the hook for general audience would be to in some way to introduce him and/or tie him to Spidey in some capacity.

...Avi's track record is not the best either...

Son of a....does Sony not learn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,531 posts

You cannot do Venom without Spidey. For it to be done properly, they will need to introduce the black costume at some point...maybe Infinity War?...and then move on to Venom. We learn of Eddie Brock's weird way of protecting innocence through Spider-Man, and that is a major part of who he is. The fact that he defends innocent people but still treats Spider-Man as a villain since "he was never innocent" in judging and ruining Brock's life.

Plus the comic book fans will revolt if he is not done properly. Two things to always keep in mind when making a comic book movie:

1. Make it approachable to everyone.

2. Don't pizz off the comic book fans!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,023 posts

I just sold a 9.4 for $365...

The book is plentiful... I am happy to take the money as that is a freebie toward part of a new kitchen floor.  However... is a 9.4 REALLY worth $365?  The book sat at that price for over a year because I said eventually they will make some announcement regarding the character and someone will pull the trigger.  

They did.

Someone pulled the trigger.

There are other 9.4's that are asking for more than what I sold my book for now.

Is Venom really at Deadpool level ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,788 posts
42 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I just sold a 9.4 for $365...

The book is plentiful... I am happy to take the money as that is a freebie toward part of a new kitchen floor.  However... is a 9.4 REALLY worth $365?  The book sat at that price for over a year because I said eventually they will make some announcement regarding the character and someone will pull the trigger.  

They did.

Someone pulled the trigger.

There are other 9.4's that are asking for more than what I sold my book for now.

Is Venom really at Deadpool level ?  

I would say that Venom is bigger than Deadpool and that ASM 300 is a bigger and more significant book than NM 98, and has always been so.  :shy:

-J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,023 posts
58 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I would say that Venom is bigger than Deadpool and that ASM 300 is a bigger and more significant book than NM 98, and has always been so.  :shy:

-J.

I am torn on agreement when it comes to that statement.

Comparing Venom (Eddie Brock Alien version) v Deadpool

  1. Deadpool is portrayed as a hero while Venom is typically a villain
  2. However... Venom benefits from the ASM relationship

I do not own a copy of NM98 and I still have a couple of ASM300's I would have to say that Deadpool is the better book to have in the long run as people traditionally celebrate the heroes rather than the villains.   I also believe that Deadpool has that cult status that I do not believe Venom actually has.   I cannot find the print run on both books... but according to the census:

ASM 300 = 13,132 Graded Copies, 678 x 9.8's, 1998 x 9.6's, 2233 x 9.4's. 

NM98 = 10,056 Graded Copies, 2262 x 9.8's, 2928 x 9.6's, 1755 x 9.4's

Strictly going by census numbers,  ASM 300 in 9.8 is a better investment than NM98. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
856 posts
4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am torn on agreement when it comes to that statement.

Comparing Venom (Eddie Brock Alien version) v Deadpool

  1. Deadpool is portrayed as a hero while Venom is typically a villain
  2. However... Venom benefits from the ASM relationship

I do not own a copy of NM98 and I still have a couple of ASM300's I would have to say that Deadpool is the better book to have in the long run as people traditionally celebrate the heroes rather than the villains.   I also believe that Deadpool has that cult status that I do not believe Venom actually has.   I cannot find the print run on both books... but according to the census:

ASM 300 = 13,132 Graded Copies, 678 x 9.8's, 1998 x 9.6's, 2233 x 9.4's. 

NM98 = 10,056 Graded Copies, 2262 x 9.8's, 2928 x 9.6's, 1755 x 9.4's

Strictly going by census numbers,  ASM 300 in 9.8 is a better investment than NM98. 

Any newsstand issues? Am looking for one. :shy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,557 posts

Let's not forget that part of the reason why 300 is such a loved book has something to do with the cover, the artist and also the number 1 character in the marvel universe

 

in other words it's just not about Venom 1st full appearance ;)

Edited by jsilverjanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,325 posts
On 3/18/2017 at 6:18 PM, MoonKT said:

Any newsstand issues? Am looking for one. :shy:

Are you willing to pay a premium for it? :devil:

Edited by kimik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
856 posts
3 hours ago, kimik said:

Are you willing to pay a premium for it? :devil:

No I'm not giving up my pension. Yes I'll give you my kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,774 posts

It's probably already obvious since they haven't casted the film yet, but just to be clear that poster is fan art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,973 posts

Several reports saying that this is the start of Sony's expanded Marvel Universe without Spider-Man

http://www.slashfilm.com/venom-r-rated-sci-fi-horror-movie/

I usually like to be optimistic until something is out but with Sony's track record and how the core of the character (at least early on) was so closely linked to Spidey to have a movie without Spider-Man is just...Dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,109 posts

Love Venom love Venom love Venom...

Please make this good please make this as good as Logan please...

...Regardless, not minding the price bumps at all  :applause:

Edited by exitmusicblue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,973 posts

Any superhero that Sony Pictures makes without Marvel Studios is doomed to fail.

Everyone knows that Disney is the one that makes good movies. 

Sony didn't learn their lesson from ASM2:facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85,846 posts

Tom Hardy? Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42,774 posts

I'm thinking a different word that starts with "w" and ends with "tf".  ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3