• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Audience reviews are corruptable regardless of site.  EVERY web site is subject to it, and they all fall victim to it.  Why you'd single out Rotten Tomatoes for using audience reviews at all when IMDB and Metacritic also get their share of audience review trolling is puzzling.  ???  Really what you should take from that is to not trust audience reviews at all, anywhere, because they're all subject to directed trolling attacks.

Good points. I going forward won't trust any of them. I used Rotten Tomatoes because they are the gold standard. I don't think they will be much longer.

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's awfully close to Aquaman's alleged $150 million budget, right?

hm

5 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Wait, Venom's marketing budget was $127 million?

Day-um.

You two...

(: :D

17 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The Venom marketing was worth it if we think Venom 2 with Carnage does 1 billion worldwide.

A lot of these superhero movies have long-term implications in that it is wise to spend a lot on marketing for future potential trilogies.

Yeah. Venom also proved the viability of a Spider-Man-less spin-off universe. 

Such as Morbius, which now looks like it will feature Blade.

2 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Good point, so it not only got a Carnage sequel coming but it got Morbius with Blade(maybe guest starring) coming.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

44 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

So what are we thinking for # 1?

My guess: A Quiet Place.

i believe they are ranking them purely by $ profits and supposedly were only considering those with >$215MM US BO, so:

#5 Aquaman

#4 or 3 or 2 Bohemian Rhapsody

#3 or 4 Incredibles 2

#2 or 3 Black Panther

#1 Avengers: IW

Edited by paperheart

58 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I would caution that assumption.  Venom is one of the most popular comic book (not just Spider-man) character of all time.  The movie's success was driven by fanboys who were willing to overlook a lot of flaws.  If it was any other Spider-man character I don't think it would have been as accepted.

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I would caution that assumption.  Venom is one of the most popular comic book (not just Spider-man) character of all time.  The movie's success was driven by fanboys who were willing to overlook a lot of flaws.  If it was any other Spider-man character I don't think it would have been as accepted.

Don't misunderstand.

I thought Venom was a mess movie - dumbly low-budget and under-written in a '90s New Line Cinema kind of way.

And was an insult to both Venom fans and comic fans.

But I was looking at it from the opposite perspective -- had Venom not broken records in China, let alone posted near-Doctor Strange numbers in the U.S., the Morbius film (and all other proposed spin-offs) would have been cancelled Universal Dark Universe-style.

This way, we get at least one more movie (Morbius).

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Don't misunderstand.

I thought Venom was a mess movie - dumbly low-budget and under-written in a '90s New Line Cinema kind of way.

And was an insult to both Venom fans and comic fans.

But I was looking at it from the opposite perspective -- had Venom not broken records in China, let alone posted near-Doctor Strange numbers in the U.S., the Morbius film (and all other proposed spin-offs) would have been cancelled Universal Dark Universe-style.

This way, we get at least one more movie (Morbius).

I also think the Morbius movie will factor in if we get the Kraven movie.

Venom is just a special character. Kind of like Godzillia/Transformers as in the following is so huge it would be hard for the franchise to bomb.

I wouldn't expect Morbius to have the same box office as Venom. Most likely Hellboy reboot numbers for Morbius,unless Morbius knocks the critic`s socks off.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I also think the Morbius movie will factor in if we get the Kraven movie.

Venom is just a special character. Kind of like Godzillia/Transformers as in the following is so huge it would be hard for the franchise to bomb.

I wouldn't expect Morbius to have the same box office as Venom. Most likely Hellboy reboot numbers for Morbius,unless Morbius knocks the critic`s socks off.

Venom is not a particularly special character. Imagine if he wasn't the byproduct of Spider-Man in the comics.

Being a symbiote means that the "character" is predicated on being unoriginal. And that's okay.

I don't expect the "next" movie to fair well financially if, again, Tom Hardy is the only thing going for it.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Venom is not a particularly special character. Imagine if he wasn't the byproduct of Spider-Man in the comics.

Being a symbiote means that the "character" is predicated on being unoriginal. And that's okay.

I don't expect the "next" movie to fair well financially if, again, Tom Hardy is the only thing going for it.

I think Carnage will keep the juice going.

The ultimate villian for Venom.

Image result for venom vs carnage