• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Movie
3 3

1,187 posts in this topic

It does feel like with Tom Hardy taking it down the Agent Venom path, he can make this work all by himself without a reliance on a traditional antagonist (Spider-Man).

Between this and Black & Silver, it looks like Sony is trying to make better decisions with production crews and characters involved. We shall see.

:wishluck:

I will go see this but a Venom movie without any connection/involvement with Spidey still doesn't sit well with me.  One of the key things about Venom is that Spidey/Venom connection.  Would you make a Joker movie without any connection/mention to Batman?

With most super hero flicks, I give them all a fair chance before I pass judgement but with Sony, I have a lot of doubt.  There is no reason why they couldn't work Venom in properly and I feel that Sony just wants to cash in on that Spidey expanded universe sooner rather than later. They could have introduced Brock/Venom and then spun him into his own movie.

We will see how this ends up going...

9 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

With most super hero flicks, I give them all a fair chance before I pass judgement but with Sony, I have a lot of doubt.  There is no reason why they couldn't work Venom in properly and I feel that Sony just wants to cash in on that Spidey expanded universe sooner rather than later. They could have introduced Brock/Venom and then spun him into his own movie.

Yes, there's no positive track record with Sony to have reason to believe this movie won't suck.  But I felt the same way with Deadpool, so who the heck knows.  (shrug)

9 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Yes, there's no positive track record with Sony to have reason to believe this movie won't suck.  But I felt the same way with Deadpool, so who the heck knows.  (shrug)

With Deadpool  at least you knew it was a real "passion project" for Reynolds....I do agree though, who knows. I am hoping it is good, as I want ALL super hero themed movies to be good and succeed, so :wishluck:

Tom Hardy Reveals Which Comic Book Series Has Most Influenced VENOM And Teases The Movie's Tone

Venom.jpg

Well, it looks like Tom Hardy's Venom is officially going to be a "Lethal Protector" as the actor confirmed in a video package at Comic Con Experience 2017 in Sao Paulo, Brazil that the comic book of the same name will heavily influence the movie from Sony Pictures. Published in 1993, the series saw Eddie Brock move to San Francisco after making a truce with Spider-Man but he was soon hunted down by the Life Foundation, a group ultimately transformed into a deadly new group of symbiotes! 

Venom also served as a vigilante of sorts, dispensing brutal justice to those who did wrong to innocents. During the video, Hardy also confirmed that the movie takes place in San Francisco.

That gives Venom yet another tie to "Lethal Protector" and the actor proceeded to tell fans that he'll do the character justice and plans to bring plenty of action and dark humor to the role. Hardy also stated that the movie will be important to the Marvel Universe but it's safe to say he probably wasn't referring to the Marvel Cinematic Universe! After all, this isn't expected to take place in that world.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

This confirms the long time speculation.  And it answers how the movie will be executed without a direct tie to Spider-Man.  Or will it be ?  It seems conflicting reports on the MCU connection are being deliberately circulated by the players in this project.  This probably also means Carnage will not be the main villain in this movie.  It will likely be all of the symbiotes forcibly spawned from Venom with the final villain potentially being Hybrid (first appearance Venom:Along Came a Spider #1). 

On a side note, I notice 9.8 graded copies from the Venom Lethal Protector series have all but dried up.  I wonder what the FMV of a full 9.8 graded set would be now and/or how hard it would actually be to put one together raw and have them all come back 9.8.  I would imagine that would be tough.  

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

This confirms the long time speculation.  And it answers how the movie will be executed without a direct tie to Spider-Man.  Or will it be ?  It seems conflicting reports on the MCU connection are being deliberately circulated by the players in this project.  This probably also means Carnage will not be the main villain in this movie.  It will likely be all of the symbiotes forcibly spawned from Venom with the final villain potentially being Hybrid (first appearance Venom:Along Came a Spider #1). 

On a side note, I notice 9.8 graded copies from the Venom Lethal Protector series have all but dried up.  I wonder what the FMV of a full 9.8 graded set would be now and/or how hard it would actually be to put one together raw and have them all come back 9.8.  I would imagine that would be tough.  

-J.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3692.m570.l1311.R2.TR2.TRC0.A0.H1.Xvenom+lethal+protector+1+cgc+.TRS0&_nkw=venom+lethal+protector+1+cgc+9.8&_sacat=0

(shrug) I see plenty of copies on ebay

30 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Of course there are plenty of 9.8 #1's, but of the others, only one copy each of 2-4 and no 5-6 in a 9.8.  And one guy asking $799 for a complete set where half of them are 9.6's.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Of course there are plenty of 9.8 #1's, but of the others, only one copy each of 2-4 and no 5-6 in a 9.8.  And one guy asking $799 for a complete set where half of them are 9.6's.

-J.

I'm guessing a lot has to do with the fact that pretty much nobody had issues 2-6 graded.  Seems the majority of the ones that were graded came back 9.8.  

15 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I'm guessing a lot has to do with the fact that pretty much nobody had issues 2-6 graded.  Seems the majority of the ones that were graded came back 9.8.  

Most 9.8 candidates will always hit the census first. #5 and #6 look to be the toughest so far.  

These are already individually going for as much as or more than #1 now so I suppose we will soon see how many survived the last 25 years in 9.8 condition. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Lethal Protector is a solid version of the character to base a movie upon.  It's the best iteration of the character I've seen, far more believable and likable than the ideas behind Eddie Brock that David Michelinie and McFarlane came up with in Amazing Spider-Man 298 to 300.  I've always loved Venom's powers and the way he looks, but Eddie Brock as a character is just dumb.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:24 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Most 9.8 candidates will always hit the census first. #5 and #6 look to be the toughest so far.  

These are already individually going for as much as or more than #1 now so I suppose we will soon see how many survived the last 25 years in 9.8 condition. 

-J.

It's a niche group of collectors that would go beyond issue #1.  I'm sure more 9.8 issues will hit the market soon...more than enough to meet the needs of those few.

I'm making the prediction right now...Since it will be in San Francisco, there will be a scene (or cameo) of a San Quentin State Prison inmate:idea:.

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

It's a niche group of collectors that would go beyond issue #1.  I'm sure more 9.8 issues will hit the market soon...more than enough to meet the needs of those few.

I'm making the prediction right now...Since it will be in San Francisco, there will be a scene (or cameo) of a San Quentin State Prison inmate:idea:.

Normally I would agree with this, but all of the relevant first appearances of the symbiotes that will like feature in this movie are in 4 and 5.  And if someone is going to have 1, 4 and 5, might as well have 2, 3, and 6 to have the whole storyline.  

-J.

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES' Woody Harrelson In Talks To Join The Cast Of The VENOM Movie

156302.jpg

Fans may be a bit apprehensive about Sony's upcoming Venom movie, but there's no denying the strength of the cast, and according to The Wrap it's just got even more impressive.

The outlet reports that Woody Harrelson is in talks for a role in the Spider-Man spin-off, although details on which character he'd be playing are still under wraps. We do know that the role of Kletus Cassidy/Carnage had yet to be filled, so that's certainly a possibility. 

Variety does add that Harrelson's character is "a henchman of sorts."