• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to pack your comic's storage wise

15 posts in this topic

I put my comics in the box and came back the next day and they had all bent to one corner.

So I have now put 5 in one direction and 5 in the other with backing boards that has stopped that.

However it now seems no matter how i put them in they are always leaning to one side or the other so to stop this i have packed in all i can so they are tight.

Will this cause damage??

Looked on the forum and search engine but can't find an insufficiently_thoughtful_persons guide to storing your comics in boxes.

If you store your comic's in boxe's correctly you will avoid flaw's.

Yes, that. What I am wondering ... is your floor or shelf tilting at an angle? The fact you said your books were leaning to one side. ???

so to stop this i have packed in all i can so they are tight.

Will this cause damage??

I guess it depends on how tight. If you can't move any books in order to see issue # or title, I'd say that's too tight. That kind of thing could lead to a lot of top edge defects.

You're talking about the unevenness within the box on the spine side, right? When all the books are facing in one direction?

No not tilting just seems like they lay back onto one side or the other.

Question is does packing tight cause problems.

Only if you pack loose then they just fall about and more chance of bends etc.

When we had boxes that were only half filled (give or take) we placed an old folded towel in the box to keep the books from moving when the box was moved.

Good idea. I will be putting my collection in long term storage shortly

Anyone have suggestions for how I should store my slabs? Will they be alright stacked on top.of each other horizontally or should they be stacked vertically in a box?

Well just had a look over the web again and no one can say how to store them.

Some say pack tight other don't pack tight!!!!

What do you do.

I suppose if you had full back backing boards it would be ok but can't afford to get full backs for over 1000 comics so what to do???

If you leave wriggle room they just sit funny and end up getting corners bending.

Surely packing them in tight as long as they are all aligned is ok.

Also is it best to do 5 facing one way five the other because if they all face the one way they just lean to the none spine side.

It's not easy this all i want to do is store my comics with minimum damage.

When we had boxes that were only half filled (give or take) we placed an old folded towel in the box to keep the books from moving when the box was moved.

Anyone have suggestions for how I should store my slabs? Will they be alright stacked on top.of each other horizontally or should they be stacked vertically in a box?

Invest in some slab storage boxes .

160966.jpg.562a4592296bf24686d621d9b3869474.jpg

Invest in some slab storage boxes .

Expensive option there. I suppose some bubble wrap and some TLC will go a long way.

Basically best way is vertically then? Like regular issues

Ahh... Now I see what you mean! Well, with my boxes I usually leave enough space like about 10 bagged comics less the short box's max number. Or create some slabs of firm foam to place inside to keep the books standing up and not waving forward or backward.

Ahh... Now I see what you mean! Well, with my boxes I usually leave enough space like about 10 bagged comics less the short box's max number. Or create some slabs of firm foam to place inside to keep the books standing up and not waving forward or backward.

Another option for when a box isn't full: Box spacers

Or, like another poster wrote, you could just put an old towel or some other form of padding in the empty space.

Overstuffing a comic box is a bad idea. The staples get pushed too hard on the spine side, causing small pull tears and doing other kinds of pressure damage.

Or, like another poster wrote, you could just put an old towel or some other form of padding in the empty space.

Overstuffing a comic box is a bad idea. The staples get pushed too hard on the spine side, causing small pull tears and doing other kinds of pressure damage.

This.

I purchased a comic collection a couple years ago that had comics packed very tightly into longboxes. They were so tight you couldn't move the books at all and you had to take some out to be able to browse. Because they were packed so tightly many of the books had the stress and pull tears on the staples.

i usually like to keep my comics standing straight up, perpendicular to the surface floor. when i don't have enough comics to fill my box, i find dvd's, funko boxes, books, etc. to fill the void. afterwards, i put in a few extra boards in front of these 'spacers' to avoid any imprint on my comics.

thanks! now i know the correct term and item to use from now on. haha. furthermore, i don't overstuff my boxes, i like it loose.. lol i also like to flip each book in the box so i can avoid the spine roll effect.

See video: common mistakes collectors can avoid