• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alien 5 2018
1 1

162 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2017 at 3:54 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Disappointing.  Story is recycled...discover a young Jedi, giant base is destroying planets, fly in and blow up giant base.

Alien and Aliens terrified me...this movie was more disgusting than terrifying.

What happened to Elizabeth Shaw was a major let down.

You don't get invested in the characters before they get killed so you didn't feel any sympathy.

One good note...Michael Fassbender is great.

5/10...skip the theatre, skip the DVD, watch it on cable for free.

Agreed. This was like Alien 3 in how it just jettisons a major character from the previous film, and so unceremoniously. 

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Hello,

My name is Karl.

Please allow me to answer your query.

The engineers are returning to destroy humanity as humanity are a pathogen as well. Humanity created artificial creations ( David ) and sent them forth to generate weapons of mass destruction. They are no longer functioning as intended and must be destroyed to preserve other life.

I'm not so sure. The ship in Prometheus had been lying dormant for nearly 2000 years. It had planned to kill off humanity before weapons of mass destruction were invented, unless you count catapults, flaming arrows, and scorpion bombs as WMDs.

5 minutes ago, Ijiwaru Sensei said:

I'm not so sure. The ship in Prometheus had been lying dormant for nearly 2000 years. It had planned to kill off humanity before weapons of mass destruction were invented, unless you count catapults, flaming arrows, and scorpion bombs as WMDs.

Indeed I am, Humanity has always been exceptional at destruction of all things: themselves and anything around them. I say the Engineers checked in on their creation and they saw what was to come and wanted to destroy it.

41 minutes ago, Ijiwaru Sensei said:

Covenant, in comparison, remains in a steady state of mediocrity.

The concept is played out.  I love lions, tigers, and cheetahs, but I can't imagine watching half a dozen films devoted to seeing them in action.  The xenomorphs are just alien versions of Earth's predators taken to evolutionary extremes.

12 hours ago, wombat said:

I really hope they just stop making more. It's impossible for me not to get amped up. Which of course just leads to massive disappointment. 

I'll be curious to see what happens at this point. Ridley is on record saying he's got something like 6 more Alien movies planned out, but Covenant isn't exactly burning up the charts. It was #1 last week, but just barely, and if the standard rates of attrition are applied, it's going to struggle to make it to $100 million in the US. Abroad it will do better, but I don't think it's tracking to even do as well as Prometheus at this point. I think it was relatively cheap to make (budget was under $100 million) so I'm sure it'll be profitable. But whether or not it's profitable enough to justify making more, I'm not sure. At this point I'd say give the series a rest for another 10 years, then bring in a new visionary director with a NEW idea. No more prequels, no reboot. Do something new. Here's to hoping.

(There's also the fact that Ridley is 80, so, one way or another, he's not going to be able to make these things forever, no matter how well they might do. )

15 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

You took your date to Aliens?? ??? 

We've been married along time and she was interested in going.  We balance out the dramas, rom-coms etc. with the superhero and action genre films.

7 hours ago, piper said:

We've been married along time and she was interested in going.  We balance out the dramas, rom-coms etc. with the superhero and action genre films.

Well, it's the ultimate women's movie to begin with.

Sigourney not needing a squadron of colonial marines to help her rescue her "adopted" daughter from the evil clutches of a villainess in the form of an alien queen.

It's a Lifetime movie on steroids, just without the deadbeat dad.

8 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'll be curious to see what happens at this point. Ridley is on record saying he's got something like 6 more Alien movies planned out, but Covenant isn't exactly burning up the charts. It was #1 last week, but just barely, and if the standard rates of attrition are applied, it's going to struggle to make it to $100 million in the US. Abroad it will do better, but I don't think it's tracking to even do as well as Prometheus at this point. I think it was relatively cheap to make (budget was under $100 million) so I'm sure it'll be profitable. But whether or not it's profitable enough to justify making more, I'm not sure. At this point I'd say give the series a rest for another 10 years, then bring in a new visionary director with a NEW idea. No more prequels, no reboot. Do something new. Here's to hoping.

(There's also the fact that Ridley is 80, so, one way or another, he's not going to be able to make these things forever, no matter how well they might do. )

If they made an Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem once, then most likely they'll never stop milking the xenomorph's utters to this franchise. I figure it will take at least 2-3 more movies before there might be a pause. These things still have a lot of bankable buzz to them.

I should have know better.  Disappointing movie.  Bad writing, plot holes, bad acting...

The worst part was they completely glossed over the idea they were going back to the planet to exact revenge and they did that entire scene in 2 minutes.  Why setup this giant humanoid race if they weren't really going to follow through.  Alien was great because it was a great horror flick in a space ship.  Nothing has come close since.  

5 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

If they made an Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem once, then most likely they'll never stop milking the xenomorph's utters to this franchise. I figure it will take at least 2-3 more movies before there might be a pause. These things still have a lot of bankable buzz to them.

Ugh! I watched this the other night. It must have came and went so fast that I never heard about it. What tripe! The writers must have been drinking the black ooze to come up with this carp!

20 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

Again - there's the problem.

Aliens v. Predator grossed more its opening weekend in 2004 than Alien: Covenant did in 2017.

So right now, Aliens v. Predator: Requiem has a much stronger case for existing than does Alien 7.

* I'm counting Prometheus as Alien 5, so this would be 6.

Edited by Gatsby77

Maybe they will make a prequel to Alien Covenant so we can see the interesting story that Prometheus promised with its ending. :whistle:

It could be called: "Promethus: Alien Covenant Rising"  Or "Prometheus 2: The Secret of the Ooze"

Edited by Red84

I saw this movie the other night.  I haven't really followed the franchise at all, so I was open minded.  I didn't really enjoy it, giving it a C- at best.  Lots of things that didn't even come close to passing the common sense test.  Agree with the comment posted above about not getting vested in the characters enough to care what happens to them.