• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alien 5 2018
1 1

162 posts in this topic

On ‎2017‎/‎05‎/‎24 at 10:49 AM, fantastic_four said:

The concept is played out.  I love lions, tigers, and cheetahs, but I can't imagine watching half a dozen films devoted to seeing them in action.  The xenomorphs are just alien versions of Earth's predators taken to evolutionary extremes.

The failings of the movies after the first 2 is they have never bothered to explore the Aliens beyond being creatures that kill/ are a threat. They are beyond that, having demonstrated intelligence in the first 2 movies, they also showed a desire to propagate the species by cocooning hosts for the face-huggers.

I would like to learn more about them, and perhaps even see a film where some communication is made possible.

3 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

The failings of the movies after the first 2 is they have never bothered to explore the Aliens beyond being creatures that kill/ are a threat. They are beyond that, having demonstrated intelligence in the first 2 movies, they also showed a desire to propagate the species by cocooning hosts for the face-huggers.

I would like to learn more about them, and perhaps even see a film where some communication is made possible.

Me too! But in the original Alien, one of the deleted scenes had shown Capt. Dallas again to be what looked like being dissolved down to eventually transform into an alien egg. IIRC Scott mentioned this is where Cameron diverted from his original vision of how the aliens reproduce.

On 5/25/2017 at 9:57 AM, F For Fake said:

I'll be curious to see what happens at this point. Ridley is on record saying he's got something like 6 more Alien movies planned out, but Covenant isn't exactly burning up the charts. It was #1 last week, but just barely, and if the standard rates of attrition are applied, it's going to struggle to make it to $100 million in the US. Abroad it will do better, but I don't think it's tracking to even do as well as Prometheus at this point. I think it was relatively cheap to make (budget was under $100 million) so I'm sure it'll be profitable. But whether or not it's profitable enough to justify making more, I'm not sure. At this point I'd say give the series a rest for another 10 years, then bring in a new visionary director with a NEW idea. No more prequels, no reboot. Do something new. Here's to hoping.

(There's also the fact that Ridley is 80, so, one way or another, he's not going to be able to make these things forever, no matter how well they might do. )

I heard the box office dropped quick for this. I don't know if they will make another 6.

10 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Awful. I always though the Alien franchise had a bigger following than that.

I thought Ridley would be able to sustain the franchise for at least a few movies, at least. We are heading into those kinds of horror film sequels that are only around for the first weekend and then disappear off the map completely until DVD(Halloween 4-5, Friday the 13th VII, Child's Play 2, Scream 3, etc.) :( 

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I thought Ridley would be able to sustain the franchise for at least a few movies, at least. We are heading into those kinds of horror film sequels that are only around for the first weekend and then disappear off the map completely until DVD(Halloween 4-5, Friday the 13th VII, Child's Play 2, Scream 3, etc.) :( 

We got a Predator and Friday the 13th reboots on the way. Probably the same thing in that they will win their first weekend than drop.

23 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

We got a Predator and Friday the 13th reboots on the way. Probably the same thing in that they will win their first weekend than drop.

This might have worked for those old horror movies with shoestring budgets of the 70's-80's, that you and your friends would go to the movies every Friday night, but with budgets of tens of millions, if not a hundred, the Alien films if not the horror-sci-fi genre might be looking at a correction eventually (zipper-suited aliens, sy-fy channel CGI, stunt casting, etc.) 

Just now, NewEnglandGothic said:

This might have worked for those old horror movies with shoestring budgets of the 70's-80's, that you and your friends would go to the movies every Friday night, but with budgets of tens of millions, if not a hundred, the Alien films if not the horror-sci-fi genre might be looking at a correction eventually (zipper-suited aliens, sy-fy channel CGI, stunt casting, etc.) 

Honestly, I am really getting sick of CGI. Most of the time CGI looks fake to me.

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Honestly, I am really getting sick of CGI. Most of the time CGI looks fake to me.

I was really intrigued with the blend of live-action with computer generated stuff before. It gave it a more theatrical touch to scenes, knowing they were acting to a tennis ball. Then in 1999, we got the best (The Matrix) and worst (The Phantom Menace) CG films. By the time a fake-looking Keanu was battling hundreds of Agent Smiths in the sequel, things looked grim. Now, we have actors in CG clothing in Man of Steel. It took something organic out of the process and severely dates productions as it improves. Which isn't really an issue, as I can watch the 1933 King Kong and see a living breathing thing still, but cannot connect with a drone (Iron Man 2,) an alien (The Avengers) or a robot (Age of Ultron.) I say blend the two effects again. (thumbsu 

Just saw Covenant, a bit disappointing as it could have been so much more than what it was. It seemed they took all the favorite scenes from Alien and Aliens and folded them into this movie. I also have a couple of spoiler questions...

Spoiler

Why were the blue people all happy and waving at the ship David and Shaw were on? 

When did David infect Shaw, on the way to the homeworld or after? As it seemed he was the only one dropping the black goo bombs.

How was David able to switch with the new synthetic?

1 minute ago, Jayman said:

Just saw Covenant, a bit disappointing as it could have been so much more than what it was. It seemed they took all the favorite scenes from Alien and Aliens and folded them into this movie. I also have a couple of spoiler questions...

Hide contents

Why were the blue people all happy and waving at the ship David and Shaw were on? 

When did David infect Shaw, on the way to the homeworld or after? As it seemed he was the only one dropping the black goo bombs.

How was David able to switch with the new synthetic?

Spoiler

1. It was one of their ships. They didn't know who was on it. Although with advanced technology maybe they should have. 

2. I would assume afterwards. But who knows. They don't really say. That would have made for an interesting story. 

3. Wouldn't be that hard. They looked identical. 

Thanks!?

Spoiler

I thought Shaw wanted answers though. I would of thought she would try to communicate first before bombing away. 

I hadn't noticed that they looked the same! doh! 

9 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Thanks!?

Hide contents

I thought Shaw wanted answers though. I would of thought she would try to communicate first before bombing away. 

I hadn't noticed that they looked the same! doh! 

Spoiler

Shaw went into the sleep chamber when the ship left the last planet (from the Prometheus movie). We have no idea what happened after that. 

Dude. It was the same actor. :baiting:

All David had to do was cut off his hand.

Here's some info. I picked up.  LV223, where Prometheus takes place is one of three moons around the 4th planet in a distant system, the planet is called Calpamos (a gas giant with rings).  LV426 is one of the other moons around that same planet, and that's where Alien and Aliens takes place.  The Engineer's homeworld, where Shaw and David are headed to is referred to as the 4th planet, but can't be Calpamos because we see in Covenant it's not a gas giant, so it's just a coincidence.  Hope that helps someone, it did for me.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

2 hours ago, Darkowl said:

They should have gone with a different ending.

I honestly thought it was going to end with the original ship with the "Space Jockey" crashing to be found by the original movie cast from Alien...