• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alien 5 2018
1 1

162 posts in this topic

Heard it here first....well last year lol

Alien 5 in works, Sigourney on board

Neill Blomkamp will be directing a new Alien movie for 20th Century Fox which will act as a sequel to Ridley Scott's 1979 Alien and James Cameron's Aliens. Sigourney Weaver will reprise her role as Ellen Ripley and face the dreaded Xenomorph once again. Michael Biehn is also expected to reprise his role as Cpl. Dwayne Hicks.

Currently, no release date is set for Blomkamp's Alien 5 however the plot for the film will take place well after the events of Ridley Scott's Prometheus and its sequel and closer to the timeline between Aliens and Alien 3.

Alien and Prometheus director Ridley Scott will executive produce.

Cast

Sigourney Weaver

Michael Biehn

Possibly "Newts Tale"

Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 is currently on hold, but that doesn't mean the film won't get made. It also won't stop actors from discussing the film's basic plot outlines, either! Aliens actor Michael Biehn recently sat down with Icons of Fright and speculated that the primary focus Neill is planning for his new Alien movie - which would be set after the events of James Cameron's Aliens but before the events of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection.

During the interview he speculates that Alien 5 will focus primarily on the character Newt, who would be about 27 years old, which means Alien 5 will take place roughly 20 years after the events of Aliens. He mentions that the film would act as a 'passing of the torch' from Ripley to Newt - insinuating that Newt could take over the franchise as the next badass heroine. Read on for excerpts of the interview where Biehn talks Alien 5:

"They’re talking about doing another ALIENS movie, with Neill Blomkamp, and Fox came and announced it and Sigourney (Weaver) has come out and announced it. The basic idea is acting likeALIEN3 and 4 never existed, so if you go on Neill Blomkamp’s site, everyone can see all of the artwork for that. I know Ridley Scott is doing his movie first and is going to be the executive producer on this one, so I’m really looking forward to that. I know that Ridley’s focus is on the second PROMETHEUS (now titled ALIEN: COVENANT) and I’m sure that he and Fox both don’t want that and Neill’s movie to come out right next to each other, because they’re kind of two different worlds, with ALIENS taking place thousands of years later, which is how they explained it all to me, but at the same time, they want to give them a similar feel. I know they’re putting the brakes on Neill’s movie just for a little while, but I really think that it would be embarrassing to Ridley and Fox and Sigourney if they just didn’t make the movie."

While I didn't share the intense dislike for Alien 3 that a number of people feel for that installment of the franchise, I absolutely hated, hated that they killed off both Hicks and Newt to start the film. It made the investment invested in the characters in Aliens feel wasted. rantrant

Cautiously looking forward to this if it gets made. :wishluck:

I liked Alien 3 when it first came out. I didn't like the "Directors cut" in the Quadrilogy DVD package I bought years later. He really fooled around with that movie too much.

Saw Alien 3 in theaters on my Bday. First R rated film I saw in the theater

Finchers version of the film was completely different than what the studio recut for the release

That directors cut is not a directors cut

Whatever it was, was terrible

While I didn't share the intense dislike for Alien 3 that a number of people feel for that installment of the franchise, I absolutely hated, hated that they killed off both Hicks and Newt to start the film. It made the investment invested in the characters in Aliens feel wasted. rantrant

I hear ya. I felt the same way when I watched Karate Kid 2. He spent the whole first movie trying to get the girl and in the end, he finally does...only to have her written out in a throwaway line in the 2nd film.

I hear ya. I felt the same way when I watched Karate Kid 2. He spent the whole first movie trying to get the girl and in the end, he finally does...only to have her written out in a throwaway line in the 2nd film.

Totally agree with both statements

Finchers version of the film was completely different than what the studio recut for the release

Correct. Fox tried to get Fincher to come back to do the Director's Cut for the quadrilogy release, but he turned it down (owing to how much pain the studio gave him during the making of the film). So what is there is really a Producer's/Assembly cut.

I actually like the longer cut, I think it makes a lot more sense. I remember reading the Alien 3 novelization when the movie came out (yep, I was the kind of nerd that actually read novelizations) and there were so many elements in the book that weren't in the movie, that made it a much more coherent story. The assembly cut restores a lot of that stuff.

While as a hardcore Aliens fan I was disappointed with the treatment of Hicks and New in "Alien 3", I did think it was beautiful in a grimy way, and I admired how relentelessly depressing it managed to be. It was definitely dedicated to being a downer, which is rare for a major Hollywood release.

"The basic idea is acting like ALIEN3 and 4 never existed"

Thank God.

OUCH!

He's right. 4 was an abortion

3 was worse. Not only did it invalidate everything that happened in Aliens in then had a terrible story involving a group of terrible British actors playing a group of tediously boring monks, then proceeds to have Charles Dance shag Ripley, who dies at the end while giving 'birth' to an Alien queen.

Correct. Fox tried to get Fincher to come back to do the Director's Cut for the quadrilogy release, but he turned it down (owing to how much pain the studio gave him during the making of the film). So what is there is really a Producer's/Assembly cut.

I always had a hard time understanding this since Fincher worked on Fight Club in '99 for FOX. That movie had a lot risks involved in it alone, to fix any bad blood that might have happened seven years before. But in 2003, Fincher doesn't want to participate in the Alien 3 DVD release. Weird?

"The basic idea is acting like ALIEN3 and 4 never existed"

Thank God.

He's right. 4 was an abortion

3 was worse. Not only did it invalidate everything that happened in Aliens in then had a terrible story involving a group of terrible British actors playing a group of tediously boring monks, then proceeds to have Charles Dance shag Ripley, who dies at the end while giving 'birth' to an Alien queen.

I thought I liked 3 and the workprint myself, but after just watching it up until 38 mins, I took it out and put it into the "I don't want" DVD box. It's weird, I remember thinking I liked it back in the 90's, but it's so unwatchable and boring now. It's one thing to be slow and build tension, this one is just slow. Part 4, is watchable, but really stupid and pointlessly gorey. I remember liking that one too once upon a time.

I will always like 3 for sentimental reasons. But it was pretty slow and upsetting to not stay with the original storyline.

Side note, anyone play Isolation? I think it's brilliant and fantastic. Should almost be made into a movie itself