• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alien 5 2018
1 1

162 posts in this topic

Alien 5 is taking place as if Alien 3 and Resurrection never did

That's my understanding as well.

:facepalm: For the shower scene in the trailer...what is this? Friday the 13th?

Alien 5 is taking place as if Alien 3 and Resurrection never did

That's my understanding as well.

:facepalm: For the shower scene in the trailer...what is this? Friday the 13th?

I can live with that as long as the tension and momentum is kept up in this movie. What I really like is that we finally get to see a back burster scene! :headbang:

I have a feeling it's going to be an end scene and there will be two types of aliens. One from the spore that results in the back burster (neomorph) and the traditional face hugger xenomorph (alien). Lastly, I think we're led to believe the traditional one is in the movie particularly with the shower scene and movie poster, but in reality it'll be the new back burster.

It's just the evolution of the alien with it''s host.

But then again, movies these days don't have any recourse with following common sense, so it could really be anything.

Aliens is one of the best films on many levels in my opinion. The only thing lacking they fixed with the long "director's" cut which fixes a major gap in the story. The sentinel guns scenes are important and give pacing to the parts of them securing the command base and the aliens attacking overhead. (back in the day I even rented the laser discs to get the sentinel guns scenes onto tape....I know I'm a nerd).

Prometheus was actually a very ambitious and well done film in my opinion. The music in that one is so powerful. It uses trumpets to herald the same Engineers who so callously destroy us when we are in their way. It really shows the best and worst of humanity. Great film in my opinion.

Alien 3 I am really torn about. While I echo other's assessment about how it rips apart all that we hoped for from Aliens, I actually liked parts of it. The absolute bleakness is unmatched in film and Rock's speech is one of the best in a film IMHO. Then they lose it with all the overly-cockney cast and nonsensical chases into hot lead....blah blah blah.

Alien 4 I don't even remember it was so bad.

Can't wait to erase everything and get a true Aliens sequel.

Aliens is one of the best films on many levels in my opinion. The only thing lacking they fixed with the long "director's" cut which fixes a major gap in the story. The sentinel guns scenes are important and give pacing to the parts of them securing the command base and the aliens attacking overhead. (back in the day I even rented the laser discs to get the sentinel guns scenes onto tape....I know I'm a nerd).

Prometheus was actually a very ambitious and well done film in my opinion. The music in that one is so powerful. It uses trumpets to herald the same Engineers who so callously destroy us when we are in their way. It really shows the best and worst of humanity. Great film in my opinion.

Alien 3 I am really torn about. While I echo other's assessment about how it rips apart all that we hoped for from Aliens, I actually liked parts of it. The absolute bleakness is unmatched in film and Rock's speech is one of the best in a film IMHO. Then they lose it with all the overly-cockney cast and nonsensical chases into hot lead....blah blah blah.

I agree with mostly everything you said. I get the hate A3 has for what it did to Hicks and Newt, but I actually liked the characters more than in Prometheus. Prometheus is a good movie to watch on mute. I just couldn't like any of the characters because they were underdeveloped outside of David.

I will hope for the best, as Alien followed by Aliens are some of my all time favorite movies.

My expectations of Alien 5 are very low, as it is my belief that Hollywood has lost it's way and is to focused on making dollars rather than making a good movie. To many executives with their fingers in the pie making terrible decisions.

I can agree with that. Hollywood has screwed up so much, it's hard to have faith in anything these days.

All they know how to do is rehash or completely ruin franchises.

I agree with mostly everything you said. I get the hate A3 has for what it did to Hicks and Newt, but I actually liked the characters more than in Prometheus. Prometheus is a good movie to watch on mute. I just couldn't like any of the characters because they were underdeveloped outside of David.

I have always had a love/hate relationship with the Alien3 Theatrical and Workprint Editions.

I've mentioned this before, but I absolutely hated seeing the creature's point of view in those MTV jump cuts. That wasn't where you got the suspense from the first movies. They could be anywhere in the dark and they were gonna get you, not bear down on you.

Other stuff was the over-stylized attempted rape scene of Ripley, how everyone dressed alike so you couldn't tell who's who when they were being picked off in the darkened corridors, Ripley giving "it" up so quickly to a sleep-walking Charles Dance (she had more chemistry with Dallas and Hicks, obviously killing off Newt (the whole theme of Aliens was Ripley finding her motherhood through this orphan, only kill her off within 5 minutes of the sequel, felt like a waste of emotional investment carry-over from the previous film, not a shocking development,) the newt autopsy using a stand-in and not Carrie Henn (she probably grew a bit, but it wasn't the same girl to elicit a response of horror,) getting Bishop back to just turn him off, the once again over-stylized slo-mo Ripley death scene, there's so much more.

But, like The Thing, I liked the "doomed" atmosphere of the characters, the subtle AIDS metaphor few blockbuster movies would touch at that time, an action movie headlined by a tough as nails woman (her only competition that summer was Whoopi in "Sister Act," and other little things. Not a lot mind you.

I liked Resurrection the first time I saw in theaters, but unlike another sy-fy movie that opened around the same time("Starship Troopers,") it feels it caters to the Fangoria crowd more with death set-ups and gore. It doesn't hold up extremely well. There wasn't a theme other than a manic escape plot to return to The Betty and blow up the alien infested ship. We have seen that before and it was done better as well.

Arrogant comes to mind. I'm sure someone will come along and wonder what Avatar was about. Or not.

I had a really awesome pic depicting this, but there is swearing, and it's *gasp* too much for this forum...

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/30417_700b.jpg

Edited by MetalPSI™

Arrogant comes to mind. I'm sure someone will come along and wonder what Avatar was about. Or not.

I had a really awesome pic depicting this, but there is swearing, and it's *gasp* too much for this forum...

I guess he doesn't remember Piranha 2: The Spawning. lol

Everybody tries to break into the business, with maximum studio control over a franchise project too, as the Alien sequels were.

I read all of that in the unauthorized Cameron bio "The Futurist."

Everybody tries to break into the business, with maximum studio control over a franchise project too, as the Alien sequels were.

Never heard of Piranha 2: The Spawning. I will check it out. Any fun like Toxic Avenger 1?

Never heard of Piranha 2: The Spawning. I will check it out. Any fun like Toxic Avenger 1?

If you keep your expectations low and being slightly inebriated, I think you'll enjoy it.

Too much time has passed to take it too seriously as a creative failure now.

Despite Cameron being fired from it like twice, it's still a Cameron film,

Look for typical Cameron movie cast cameos in it too.