• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MyLites+

63 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying some MyLites+ for $5-9 books and I was wondering if any of you have used or is using them?

I know that they are in the same price range as the MyLites2, but it seems odd to use one for a regular issue that I like. That and the fact that I dislike regular bags. Picky? Yes. I have no problem with admitting that lol

I also looked at the mylar thread in the Noob Guide but there were no opinions about MyLites+ that I saw.

Thanks for any insight!

Jason

I recently picked up 500 Mylite+ to use on some lower value books. Once they are on the book, the difference between them and mylite2s is minuscule. The thing is the price difference between them isn't very much, either.

Yep, I agree with MyLites2 + full-back for $20+ books and MyLites2 + half-back for $10-20 books since those are what I use currently. Regular bags and boards for anything under $10.

But are you using ML2/full back for every comic you buy? For example, I have a full run of Batman New 52, but I don't think it's necessary to use the ML2/full-backs/half-backs for regular issues that do not have anything special going on ("special" being 1st app's, Joker appearances, 1:25's).

So my question is:

Has anyone previously used or is currently using MyLites+? It seems to be a better deal because it's 100 per pack compared to the 50 per pack ML2's.

(Mark1 - your use of MyLites+ in the past is noted :) ).

I do appreciate the input so far but I'm just asking about MyLites+.

I dont use regular bags on anything. I mostly use mylar2s , but recently bought mylite+ and was very happy with them.

Regular bags get cloudy and need replacing every few years. Buy a bag and board once and be done with it.

I recently picked up 500 Mylite+ to use on some lower value books. Once they are on the book, the difference between them and mylite2s is minuscule. The thing is the price difference between them isn't very much, either.

Shadrock: Thank you, I was busy typing my initial response when you posted yours. I do appreciate it!!!

I like the idea of 100 MyLites+ over the 50 ML2's for lesser books for almost the same cost per bag, so I think that's what I will do then.

Thanks again!

Jason

I've used the mylite2s and fullbacks for awhile but I've recently been using more of the archives. Mainly, because I find myself looking through books for one reason or another more these days and I don't like tape. I tried the mylite+ but found them to be on the flimsy side. So if you're really picky, stick with the mylite2s.

Shadrock: Thank you, I was busy typing my initial response when you posted yours. I do appreciate it!!!

I like the idea of 100 MyLites+ over the 50 ML2's for lesser books for almost the same cost per bag, so I think that's what I will do then.

Thanks again!

Jason

Plus everything will be uniform and matched width. If you're going to be obsessive, go all the way.

Thanks again!

Jason

Plus everything will be uniform and matched width. If you're going to be obsessive, go all the way.

I do like uniformity. That must come from my military career because I was a slob as a kid lol

I've used the mylite2s and fullbacks for awhile but I've recently been using more of the archives. Mainly, because I find myself looking through books for one reason or another more these days and I don't like tape. I tried the mylite+ but found them to be on the flimsy side. So if you're really picky, stick with the mylite2s.

Avoid archives at all costs. Archives are so stiff that I once tore an expensive book when I caught it on the edge of the Archive (or a comparable product from Bill Cole Enterprises).

Also, most Archives are open at the top, which allows air to get to the comic book, which causes deterioration.

For my more expensive raw comics I use this

Mylite 2 + Fullback inside a golden age archive. I have my Flash run that way and it's awesome

If the comic is inside a mylite 2 and full back board inside an archive it's safe and I don't worry about any damage from the archive when pulling out the comic

A humble opinion from someone who has been collecting comics for 40+ years. Don't use anything but Mylar for any of your comics regardless of current value ... Time marches relentlessly on. Today's $5 book is tomorrow's $50+ book. If you hold your books for a while either planned or unplanned you shouldn't need to worry about rebagging.

Mylar thickness and backer board work together for protection rigidity (a Mylar 2 and a full back seems to be a sweet spot).

Finally there is financial means. Mylites + half backs stored appropriately are perfectly fine. The vast majority of my non-graded collection is in mylites + half backs. Personally if Mylites+ existed when doing that bagging / boarding effort, that's what I would have chosen. But I'm OK with what I have. My high value non graded books are in 4 mil and half backs (plus micro sheets) for the extra rigidity / page quality protection. I have felt the 4mil gives enough rigidity to not need a full back with that particular bag / board combo.

A humble opinion from someone who has been collecting comics for 40+ years. Don't use anything but Mylar for any of your comics regardless of current value ... Time marches relentlessly on. Today's $5 book is tomorrow's $50+ book. If you hold your books for a while either planned or unplanned you shouldn't need to worry about rebagging.

Mylar thickness and backer board work together for protection rigidity (a Mylar 2 and a full back seems to be a sweet spot).

Finally there is financial means. Mylites + half backs stored appropriately are perfectly fine. The vast majority of my non-graded collection is in mylites + half backs. Personally if Mylites+ existed when doing that bagging / boarding effort, that's what I would have chosen. But I'm OK with what I have. My high value non graded books are in 4 mil and half backs (plus micro sheets) for the extra rigidity / page quality protection. I have felt the 4mil gives enough rigidity to not need a full back with that particular bag / board combo.

I like what you are saying, but you aren't going to convince me to put my early Image books and X-Men 91 series into Mylar.

For my more expensive raw comics I use this

Mylite 2 + Fullback inside a golden age archive. I have my Flash run that way and it's awesome

If the comic is inside a mylite 2 and full back board inside an archive it's safe and I don't worry about any damage from the archive when pulling out the comic

Do you use 800R or 800L or 800M4 ? Are they all the same with respect to having that open flap at the top and is there any tangible distinction between those three that you exclusively prefer or utilize?

I found a different brand that has a pre fab folded flap similar to a sandwich bag and how you slide it shut with your thumb and fingers but the cost was nearly double vs. the Mylites line.

But putting the comic in M2 bag with board and then in an archive is a great configuration.