• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL I DO IS WIN! Post your eBay wins here
9 9

1,051 posts in this topic

This was a ~$90 BIN from a few weeks ago. Probably a 9.6.

001%202_zpskf9xffae.jpg

THAT was a $90 BIN? :o(worship):banana:

Nice score Andy ^^

Links or it never happened :baiting:

lol

Yeah, I will pass on linking to the listing, for obvious reasons. Will just have to take my word for it.

Don't moderns rise and fall like the 90s chromium books? Except for a few does anyone think a book that went from $4 cover price to $50 in a week is going to hold value/rise?

I'm seeing deja vu from the 90s here am I the only one?

the main difference is that we are usually dealing with small print runs relative to the 90s. the typical book that gets hot now would have been an ultra limited edition (from the big two at least) book in the early 90s. the 90s didn't make sense when every dealer had 100 copies of Punishr War Journal 7, Darkhawk 9 and X-O 14 (or whatever else) behind the table. No way they were "really" $10+ books. Now the market is fairly "honest" in that inventory is all out there for sale on the interwebs.

unclear whether the # of collectors spending $__ a month (let's adjust for inflation) is more or less now than in 1993. obviously many more stores existed then and many more new comics were selling. but ebay alone has 2 million+ back issue listings at any given time. that's a lot of comic shops' inventories.

It's spread out differently but there's still a glut. Instead of one 'rare' chromium book that was printed at 1,000,000 copies we have dozens of variants, 'rare' second printings etc etc but in the whole these books are dime a dozen. If you have a truck full of walnuts each individual walnut might be 'rare' because there's no other walnut like it, but walnuts as a whole are not 'rare'. Variants and second third fourth prints and #1's etc are not rare-at all.

of course, you have to look not only at supply, but also demand to get a complete picture of the market.

I would say that while of course there will be fluctuations, an outright 'crash' is not inevitable or likely. When the price of something that was once valuable goes 'down', in general there are many willing buyers on the internets willing to buy today for less than a product was worth yesterday, and some many who will still buy at the bottom, thus softening the blow and lettingg the steam out gradually, if it does indeed go out. And generally with this many ready buyers and sellers online, you can settle at an equilibreum, rather than a warehouse full of dead inventory. In the old days, if you had 1,000 extra copies of x-men 1, you had literally no venue to sell other than your LCS or local conventions.

But now LCS owners generally price the variants in such away to cover their costs at least, and can blow out their over stock much more easily to multiple venues, not to mention, they're much less likely to have SOOOO many overstock of any 1 issue.

Is every decision wise? Of course not. Do people speculate still? Of course. By nature the business of buying and selling comics is speculation. Your LCS has to guess/estimate each month how much to buy of what based on their knowledge and interpretation of their potential customer base as well as their finances and other potential market trends (new characters, new tv or movies, etc). If you don't do your homework and can't read your market right, you won't be successful no matter what. But I think at this point, most LCS owners and other dealers simply don't gamble as big on any one book as they used to, and the market data can be researched so instanteously that even the big companies can be pretty flexible.

001%202_zpskf9xffae.jpg

Nice score Andy ^^

lol

Yeah, I will pass on linking to the listing, for obvious reasons. Will just have to take my word for it.

(shrug)

Links are what makes this more fun...

001%202_zpskf9xffae.jpg

Nice score Andy ^^

lol

(shrug)

Not when I am still trying to buy stuff from the guy.

Here, here

Lets post some AMAZING eBay wins in here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322025735380?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I guess thats what happens when you try to be cool and give a title a nickname.. You lose points on search terms

That is stunning. Even when clicking I had no idea what book it was going to be, maybe some religious Advent calendar featuring Superman?

Don't moderns rise and fall like the 90s chromium books? Except for a few does anyone think a book that went from $4 cover price to $50 in a week is going to hold value/rise?

I'm seeing deja vu from the 90s here am I the only one?

the main difference is that we are usually dealing with small print runs relative to the 90s. the typical book that gets hot now would have been an ultra limited edition (from the big two at least) book in the early 90s. the 90s didn't make sense when every dealer had 100 copies of Punishr War Journal 7, Darkhawk 9 and X-O 14 (or whatever else) behind the table. No way they were "really" $10+ books. Now the market is fairly "honest" in that inventory is all out there for sale on the interwebs.

unclear whether the # of collectors spending $__ a month (let's adjust for inflation) is more or less now than in 1993. obviously many more stores existed then and many more new comics were selling. but ebay alone has 2 million+ back issue listings at any given time. that's a lot of comic shops' inventories.

It's spread out differently but there's still a glut. Instead of one 'rare' chromium book that was printed at 1,000,000 copies we have dozens of variants, 'rare' second printings etc etc but in the whole these books are dime a dozen. If you have a truck full of walnuts each individual walnut might be 'rare' because there's no other walnut like it, but walnuts as a whole are not 'rare'. Variants and second third fourth prints and #1's etc are not rare-at all.

of course, you have to look not only at supply, but also demand to get a complete picture of the market.

I would say that while of course there will be fluctuations, an outright 'crash' is not inevitable or likely. When the price of something that was once valuable goes 'down', in general there are many willing buyers on the internets willing to buy today for less than a product was worth yesterday, and some many who will still buy at the bottom, thus softening the blow and lettingg the steam out gradually, if it does indeed go out. And generally with this many ready buyers and sellers online, you can settle at an equilibreum, rather than a warehouse full of dead inventory. In the old days, if you had 1,000 extra copies of x-men 1, you had literally no venue to sell other than your LCS or local conventions.

But now LCS owners generally price the variants in such away to cover their costs at least, and can blow out their over stock much more easily to multiple venues, not to mention, they're much less likely to have SOOOO many overstock of any 1 issue.

Is every decision wise? Of course not. Do people speculate still? Of course. By nature the business of buying and selling comics is speculation. Your LCS has to guess/estimate each month how much to buy of what based on their knowledge and interpretation of their potential customer base as well as their finances and other potential market trends (new characters, new tv or movies, etc). If you don't do your homework and can't read your market right, you won't be successful no matter what. But I think at this point, most LCS owners and other dealers simply don't gamble as big on any one book as they used to, and the market data can be researched so instanteously that even the big companies can be pretty flexible.

I could be wrong but when a book hits the stands and immediately becomes a $50 or $100 book I think 'bubble'. And 'We've been here before'. 10 years from now is any particular variant second print really going to hold value when there's so many darn variant second prints? Even if any particular ones are rare the variant/second print market is absolutely flooded. This is obviously not going to stop so there has to be a saturation point. 'Variant rare second print-what isn't?' might be the eventual attitude.

I could be wrong but when a book hits the stands and immediately becomes a $50 or $100 book I think 'bubble'. And 'We've been here before'.

-----

How often does this happen? I know it happens with "rare" 1:100 or whatever variants, but not with regular stuff with 50K print-runs. at least not overnight. all that often.

001%202_zpskf9xffae.jpg

Nice score Andy ^^

lol

(shrug)

Not when I am still trying to buy stuff from the guy.

GOTCHA

I guess Im very lose with my eBay purchases, reason being THERES SO MANY GOOD DEALS ON EBAY...

There I said it...

Very rarely will I come across someone who has a goldmine of books and wait on him to list.. Ill just contact them and work out a deal:

I had a seller last year that listed some FM signed Dark Knight books and Thanos Quest signed by Starlin.. His listings were very poorly described which is why I scored on all of them.. They were also multiple but he didnt mention it in the listing title

I bought him out and then contacted him to see if he had more.. He had at least 10 more copies I recall... All signed w a CBLDF COA (they were from Franks personal collection)

we exchanged numbers and worked out the deal over the phone, he then listed one listing with all the books on eBay with my name on it (books for aweandlorder)

Capture.jpg

I could be wrong but when a book hits the stands and immediately becomes a $50 or $100 book I think 'bubble'. And 'We've been here before'.

-----

How often does this happen? I know it happens with "rare" 1:100 or whatever variants, but not with regular stuff with 50K print-runs. at least not overnight. all that often.

3 times a year is too much for kav. Although being on these boards does make it feel like 'everyone' has them or access to them, but the people here make up a VERY small percentage of comic buyers and comic end users. When you see a Batman 1:50 and there's only 80,000 copies sold, you're looking at 1,600 MAX variants distributed , most likely MUCH less because not every store orders 50 or more (yes I get that sometimes they make way extra and they get distributed in other ways, but that's certainly not something that can be counted on consistently). It doesn't seem too hard to believe that there's 1600 hardcore batman fans who want to pick up the extra variant comic for $15-$25 does it? And its not like any one person can buy sooo many of them without ordering a ton of the regular cover too, but no one is dumb enough to do that anymore. And now people are generally smart enough to flip them right away to end users while things are hot. When all the end users have them, they start to cool, but then the poorer end users get a chance. And so on and so forth. Certainly not everyone can win everytime, but there's no reason to keep losing to the poiint where you run yourself out of business. You just tone it down a bit, and manage more intelligently.

Edited by Revat

Very rarely will I come across someone who has a goldmine of books and wait on him to list.. Ill just contact them and work out a deal:

Yeah, I do that too. Once bought 37,000 comics doing that.

I obviously believe that you got these books as you claim, but I just think its more fun to see the links in general, wouldnt you agree? Def not trying to put a dent in your operation

I obviously believe that you got these books as you claim, but I just think its more fun to see the links in general, wouldnt you agree? Def not trying to put a dent in your operation

I meant the MP15 and the others, not the 37k books lol

Here's a different one....though not many people are going to care. Been looking for a nice copy for years, and I was the only bidder (sniper bid twice for some reason). VERY tough issue of a great four issue run and worth a few times what I paid maybe. I was thrilled to get it for my collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252235742297

Yellow%20Claw_zpseegyazry.jpg

It ended on a late Saturday afternoon and the seller has non-existent feedback, so that probably had something to do with it. Nice book though...

How many modern books are worth $100 or more? I'm guessing a lot. And this doesn't make sense.

There is literally no reason to do that. Unless "fun" = I want to follow the link so I can horn in on your dealings and profit myself" kind of fun. (And I don't mean you personally Awe, just anyone that could). Seeing the book and the price paid is where the fun is in reading it for me. If I put the hours scouring Ebay that Andy does I wouldn't be so willing to just give others a lazy way to get involved either.

There is literally no reason to do that. Unless "fun" = I want to follow the link so I can horn in on your dealings and profit myself" kind of fun. (And I don't mean you personally Awe, just anyone that could). Seeing the book and the price paid is where the fun is in reading it for me. If I put the hours scouring Ebay that Andy does I wouldn't be so willing to just give others a lazy way to get involved either.

All Im saying is - anyone can just list a pic of a book and say he/she got it for such and such, I think it definitely adds a "wow" factor when thers proof. thats what I meant.

Ill be the first to admit that there are a few sellers and auctions I watch which Im careful not to share for those reason as well. Everyone does.

So lets just share the safe ones? :)

I think we can believe October.

As for 37,000 comics, unless you had partners helping, how on earth did you process all of that? You have a day job still, right? Or do you still have 36,500 of them in a garage somewhere?

Edited by the blob