• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sensation Comics 58 9.6 Edgar Church (Mile High)

15 posts in this topic

This book just sold on ebay to the highest bidder for $1,904.00

I'm curious why it sold so far below the last gpa, which was $2,995 back in July 2008.

At the end of the day, I simply wasn't as interested in this book to make a go of it myself although there could be higher levels obtained in a more well publicized auction.

Any ideas why a book of this pedigree would sell so far under the money?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201531991337?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

Well, upon closer inspection there are a couple problems. First, seller didn't put "Mile High" or "Edgar Church" in the title. Second, seller didn't put "CGC" in their listing and didn't say it was NM+/9.6. If this is a legit auction, seller sure didn't help themselves.

Well, upon closer inspection there are a couple problems. First, seller didn't put "Mile High" or "Edgar Church" in the title. Second, seller didn't put "CGC" in their listing and didn't say it was NM+/9.6. If this is a legit auction, seller sure didn't help themselves.

Yup. And it may not be a legit auction which will also scare buyers away.

The last two feedback were from sellers, not buyers.

And it doesn't look like the guy sells many comics.

Right now I'm undecided as to whether the seller is legit or not.

Yup. And it may not be a legit auction which will also scare buyers away.

The last two feedback were from sellers, not buyers.

And it doesn't look like the guy sells many comics.

Right now I'm undecided as to whether the seller is legit or not.

This seller has sold comics for years. I searched for his eBay ID in my old email and came up with several of his eBay auctions over the last 6 years.

I suppose it's possible that the account is hijacked, but all the scans are consistent among his 5 auctions this week, hijackers usually use BINs rather than auctions, and copy auction titles, descriptions, and scans from old eBay auctions, none of which is the case here.

And with that big dent in the spine it's not a 9.6 :sumo:

I emailed the seller and asked him if he thought leaving "CGC 9.6" and "Mile High Copy" out of the auction title hurt the hammer price. Here's his response...

My brother thought so. Might not sell much more on eBay, the way they work the site on inserting and editing ads, and the fees now are also too steep.

Mark

Even high-grade pedigree comics can be very volatile.

Some very high prices were being realized for Mile Highs for a couple of years there (even out of proportion to the premium they usually command)—I'm thinking especially of a couple of CConnect auctions back in 2013 and/or 2014—so it's not too surprising to see some books sell at a discount to previous sales.

The same thing can happen with the major auction houses. Take the Church copy of Green Lantern #26, slabbed as a 9.6 with white pages:

Aug 4, 2007: Sold for $10,755.00 through Heritage

Aug 5, 2010: Sold for $ 7,468.75 through Heritage

Dec 5, 2012: Sold for $ 3,600.00 through ComicConnect

Good stuff. I looked at the other high dollar auctions that closed on ebay at approximately the same time as the Sensation and Action book and here are some results. An FF 1 cgc 5.5 sold for $8905. This was the first 2016 sale but gpa 2015 was $7905 hi $7000 lo. Crowley Action 74 CGC 9.4 $900 previous sale in 2009 (logically to this seller) 4k. Incredible Hulk 1 cgc 4.5 $12,200 in line with recent GPA reported sales. Point is the two books sold by other sellers finished at or near recent gpa sales with substantial gains in recent years. I think the earlier comments that attributed to a really poorly structured listing nailed it. Other factors are that they probably overpaid for both books when purchased and that the auction ended too late for many east coast bidders (sometimes I just can't stay up).

It's now up on CLink for twice the price.

:shy:

Hey, a man's gotta make a living.

Nice pickup. I took it to $1500 but imagined the other bidder knew the book so I didn't press further. Someone needs to get a deal!

It's now up on CLink for twice the price.

:shy:

Hey, a man's gotta make a living.

^^