• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AVENGERS 1...................... Northland.

56 posts in this topic

This book just went up on Clink @ $ 135K ............. 9.4 with white pages. Northlands have incredible color and gloss..... someone should pounce on this book. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I always felt CGC was easy on pedigrees with pre marvel chipping.

Not when I submitted.

JIM90.jpg

FF12.jpg

.... now that's a museum copy....... any background on it.... ? or was it purchased already slabbed ? GOD BLESS....

It was already slabbed when I bought it way back in 2000. I resubbed it in 2008 and no luck. I'm thinking I should try again.

Now wouldn't you be afraid of any possible handling damage in the re-encapsulation process? What about SCS if the book is shipped back and moves within the well? I have some books that are loose in the slab and any tipping of the case causes them to shuffle and move within. I'd have too much anxiety over any potential re-sub damage on that book. Maybe I'm just being paranoid :(

It has to be done at some point anyway. I don't understand why I see massive key books in the same slab from 15 years ago.

It's been almost 8 years for his book.

.... now that's a museum copy....... any background on it.... ? or was it purchased already slabbed ? GOD BLESS....

It was already slabbed when I bought it way back in 2000. I resubbed it in 2008 and no luck. I'm thinking I should try again.

Now wouldn't you be afraid of any possible handling damage in the re-encapsulation process? What about SCS if the book is shipped back and moves within the well? I have some books that are loose in the slab and any tipping of the case causes them to shuffle and move within. I'd have too much anxiety over any potential re-sub damage on that book. Maybe I'm just being paranoid :(

It has to be done at some point anyway. I don't understand why I see massive key books in the same slab from 15 years ago.

I'm confused by this. Why does it have to be done at some point?

....he's likely referring to the recommendation of changing out the micro chamber sheets every 7 years...... but the data seems to be inconclusive as to whether that is actually as much of an issue as previously thought..... but all I've seen is anecdotal at this point. GOD BLESS...

....he's likely referring to the recommendation of changing out the micro chamber sheets every 7 years...... but the data seems to be inconclusive as to whether that is actually as much of an issue as previously thought..... but all I've seen is anecdotal at this point. GOD BLESS...

Yep. Don't have to do anything. My opinion is ten years is the point I would have it done. I was looking at an old slab recently, and it's something that I'm concerned about.

You beat me to it, jimbo.

And it's something I've looked into in the past year or two. And like you've said, there isn't any clear evidence one way or the other. At least that I've been able to find.

But speaking anecdotally, I did quiz somebody who has cracked out probably thousands of books. And he hasn't seen anything to indicate that the micro-chamber paper needs to be changed out. Granted, it's only been 16 years that CGC has been around. Maybe a longer time frame would indicate otherwise?

And it's something I've looked into in the past year or two. And like you've said, there isn't any clear evidence one way or the other. At least that I've been able to find.

But speaking anecdotally, I did quiz somebody who has cracked out probably thousands of books. And he hasn't seen anything to indicate that the micro-chamber paper needs to be changed out. Granted, it's only been 16 years that CGC has been around. Maybe a longer time frame would indicate otherwise?

.... I'm a serial slab popper as well...... and I've never seen any issues.... and I've opened slabs that were sealed not far from CGC Day One...... but I would NEVER open that Avengers..... despite the most careful handling with cotton gloves, etc, etc, ....I would eventually turn it into a 9.2 ....... but I do SO love a high grade book in a mylar :cloud9: ..... I'm one of those weirdos who actually uses CGC for it's original function.... a third party assessment service that provided a sturdy container for surviving the mail. While I still have several books in slabs, almost anything that I plan to keep comes out of the plastic and into the Mylar...... but I do keep the label for reference.... GOD BLESS...

.... I'm a serial slab popper as well...... and I've never seen any issues.... and I've opened slabs that were sealed not far from CGC Day One...... but I would NEVER open that Avengers..... despite the most careful handling with cotton gloves, etc, etc, ....I would eventually turn it into a 9.2 ....... but I do SO love a high grade book in a mylar :cloud9: ..... I'm one of those weirdos who actually uses CGC for it's original function.... a third party assessment service that provided a sturdy container for surviving the mail. While I still have several books in slabs, almost anything that I plan to keep comes out of the plastic and into the Mylar...... but I do keep the label for reference.... GOD BLESS...

+1

It's an extreme example, but it popped into my head.

I just can't see how a transaction could happen for something like a 15 year old slab 9.9 Hulk 181, if both parties aren't certain of what they're dealing with.

If there's a chance something could possibly change after ten years that isn't clearly visible, like scs.

I have no idea if it is or it isn't still in its first slab. Just wondering.

I just can't see how a transaction could happen for something like a 15 year old slab 9.9 Hulk 181, if both parties aren't certain of what they're dealing with.

If there's a chance something could possibly change after ten years that isn't clearly visible, like scs.

Probably if the book was stored in a very poor environment. Like someplace very humid and hot.

Probably if the book was stored in a very poor environment. Like someplace very humid and hot.

Yeah, but how would you ever know through a slab? Damage from heat and humidity typically don't manifest themselves very visibly on the cover, other than yellowing or browning of white areas, but there are lots of books, ultra-HG SA Marvels in particular, that have such yellow-ish covers that I'm not sure you could tell through a slab that the yellowing/browning was caused by heat/humidity.

I still have lots of books in old label slabs, and have zero intention of reslabbing any of them.

Yeah, but how would you ever know through a slab? Damage from heat and humidity typically don't manifest themselves very visibly on the cover, other than yellowing or browning of white areas, but there are lots of books, ultra-HG SA Marvels in particular, that have such yellow-ish covers that I'm not sure you could tell through a slab that the yellowing/browning was caused by heat/humidity.

I still have lots of books in old label slabs, and have zero intention of reslabbing any of them.

.... the best ones are the old old labels that don't even have corner pockets in the well :cloud9: ....... I've never seen post slab overflash damage in one of those..... the books will, however, slide around in the slab a little. GOD BLESS...

... any of you know what time frame the new well with molded corners was introduced ?

Thanks, Tim!

I'm not sure if your question about knowing through the slab was for me or the board in general. I guess some before and after scans would be about the only way to tell. And as you mentioned, that wouldn't even tell the story on many books.

I just keep my books in a cool, dry place and try not to let it keep me up at night.

For me, the logistics, shipping costs, and insurance costs for getting all my old label books re-holdered would be pretty nightmarish. For you in Hong Kong, I imagine it would be insane.

Besides, I suspect books would be more likely to sustain damage from the shipping and re-holdering process than they are from old micro-chamber paper.

(thumbs u

Turns out, I was right on this one. Here is the CGC grade of it. I wouldn't have been surprised of a 9.2, but 9.0 was ok at the time.

The nicest attribute of this book was the 'opaque' nature of the colors. Absolutely no bleed thru, and, it in hand, looked like a book that was just bought off the rack. Deep, vivid colors.

[This pic was taken in natural light direct from the camera. No post-production efx.]

Sold in '12 to a buyer who, within a month, sent it to that same Brand XX company, and I think had it sig'd. Have no idea what happened, or where it went after that.

Kinda wish I had it back. oh well.