• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

If you really want to stick it to eBay, make deals on the CGC forums. No middleman.

Preferably, make those deals to me, and at a loss, because I'm a real nice guy.

I prefer to deal here, even though some won't deal and some overcharge.

When all is said and done there are some absolutely fantastic people here who I wouldn't mind going an extra mile for. And some who have for me.

Not something you see much on ebay anymore

I hear you KP...I mean in more of grand scheme. Not even necessarily Ebay...I know nothing of Ebays practices behind closed doors. We've gone off on a tangent , which is fine. Big companies dictate policy...in return, there is no option. play along or don't.

I don't remember the last time I took offense to opinion, but it irritates me to see such generalization in core character . Do I generalize corporate america ? sure. it's even ignorant. But some of the guys on here seem to feel that in their having paid their dues to achieve greater things that anyone circumventing those dues is reprehensible. it's the other end of " if A does it than I can do it"..but the same principle.

how do you know the guy avoiding fees isn't the same guy that stops and buys clothes to bring to the homeless on the streets or the same guy that takes a beating trying to protect a stranger form certain rape ? I mean, morally bankrupt because he doesn't always follow the guidelines some feel are reasonable ?

every single person on here understands their flaws : do they hide behind arrogance , money or a specific knowledge pool to assert their superiority ? who knows...who cares. Life is pretty simple...take pride in yourself and treat others well. Fall down, get up. Somehow this post went from eBay fees to character assassination....but to each their own. Do I avoid the fees when i can..sure...is it the core of my character? certainly not something i need to prove to anyone . But I had some extra time today and thought some light chat room conversation would start my weekend off right :)

Enjoy your day....

and some of you guys are much angrier at life than you realize...relax a bit ...theres always someone with more and always someone taking advantage of it.

I'm not angry. And the discussion has escalated or degenerated a bit, depending upon how you look at it.

I'm not judging character. Rather, my point simply is that there is a service provided for which I fee is charged. Raging against that machine may feel good, but it's wrong from a purely transactional/business sense. Morals and ethics aside.

There may be another way to circumvent w/out circumventing, which is to send the seller a message when the listing ends and buy it direct.

and for what its worth..revat and jeffry...just caught up on your posts to me....you're actually right and I agree . Got caught up in the moment and tried to justify a part of the argument and was wrong. Its not justifiable....it can't logically be . But its acceptable to me for number of reasons.

I hear you KP...I mean in more of grand scheme. Not even necessarily Ebay...I know nothing of Ebays practices behind closed doors. We've gone off on a tangent , which is fine. Big companies dictate policy...in return, there is no option. play along or don't.

I don't remember the last time I took offense to opinion, but it irritates me to see such generalization in core character . Do I generalize corporate america ? sure. it's even ignorant. But some of the guys on here seem to feel that in their having paid their dues to achieve greater things that anyone circumventing those dues is reprehensible. it's the other end of " if A does it than I can do it"..but the same principle.

how do you know the guy avoiding fees isn't the same guy that stops and buys clothes to bring to the homeless on the streets or the same guy that takes a beating trying to protect a stranger form certain rape ? I mean, morally bankrupt because he doesn't always follow the guidelines some feel are reasonable ?

every single person on here understands their flaws : do they hide behind arrogance , money or a specific knowledge pool to assert their superiority ? who knows...who cares. Life is pretty simple...take pride in yourself and treat others well. Fall down, get up. Somehow this post went from eBay fees to character assassination....but to each their own. Do I avoid the fees when i can..sure...is it the core of my character? certainly not something i need to prove to anyone . But I had some extra time today and thought some light chat room conversation would start my weekend off right :)

Enjoy your day....

and some of you guys are much angrier at life than you realize...relax a bit ...theres always someone with more and always someone taking advantage of it.

and most of the big corporations give more to charity in a year than anyone of us will make in our lifetimes. You can hope for change and try to educate people (and corporations) if you truly believe, but it won't happen if you don't hold yourself to the standard that you wish other people would hold themselves to. And yes some people and some corporations do awful awful things, but sometimes also just about scale, but the 'act' is the same.

Here's another thing that rankled me: I was running some auctions, and some of the comics were doing very well, and a handful were sitting there with low bids.

Some buyer messages me and says, "If I were you, I would be very disappointed in the bids on (particular comic). How about canceling the auction and then selling it to me as a BIN for $(xx.xx)?"

It's one thing to suggest a BIN sale, but the guy's lead in -- telling me how I should feel about the performance of one of my auctions -- struck me as incredibly obnoxious.

So I declined to sell it to him, which I would have done anyway because I don't like canceling auctions. OF COURSE the hammer price of the auction was LESS than what he offered me, and he was the high bidder. In his favor, he did not message me later to say, "Hah heh!"

Here's another thing that rankled me: I was running some auctions, and some of the comics were doing very well, and a handful were sitting there with low bids.

Some buyer messages me and says, "If I were you, I would be very disappointed in the bids on (particular comic). How about canceling the auction and then selling it to me as a BIN for $(xx.xx)?"

It's one thing to suggest a BIN sale, but the guy's lead in -- telling me how I should feel about the performance of one of my auctions -- struck me as incredibly obnoxious.

So I declined to sell it to him, which I would have done anyway because I don't like canceling auctions. OF COURSE the hammer price of the auction was LESS than what he offered me, and he was the high bidder. In his favor, he did not message me later to say, "Hah heh!"

Jerk move

Ebay is great. You can reach a huge market easily. It's not perfect-nothing is.

before ebay you took your ASM #1 to the LCS and they gave you $20 for it. The end.

Dang... always a good discussion when I'm busy...

• You can cite rules and laws that are set up to benefit a business that gorges on the middle class... but this has very little to with ethics.

• By your logic, all those workers in India and Indonesia should be content to work in sweat shops because they agreed to work there. If they don't like it, they could get a job in another sweat shop. All true, all legal... but still unethical to me.

• I'm not talking about stealing from eBay. I pay to list the book. If the book is no longer available because I sold it, I'm free to de-list. Sometimes a buyer will find me through an eBay's listing and we hammer out a deal. I argue for eBay to try and prevent this is in itself unethical... But people accept it like sheep because it is supported by the law.

• True, there are other auction sites like Heritage and ComicLink, but these pale in scale compared to eBay. These smaller sites may keep the Feds at bay but don't fool yourself into thinking that eBay is not a monopoly. Remember their aggressive maneuvers against Yahoo and Overstock? They even tried to squash Craigslist and Kijiji until they realized they couldn't shut them down... so they purchased a sizable chunk of their business instead.

• The larger issues of inequality in the world comes down to a lack of will. There is enough food, enough money, enough water to support the world population. However, it's this warped sense of "ethics" that prevents the distribution wealth. Remember the CEO of Worldcom who purchased $7000 shower curtains for his wife... how gross is that? The business is now defunct. He's still rolling around in money but many his employees had to find other means of support.

I'm not asking people to break any laws. But let's be clear about the difference. On one hand, stores like Walmart is an amazing achievement. But at what cost... Banks like Goldman Sachs are designed to make money. It's the perfect machine and it cares very little about your personal circumstance.

Okay... I've rambled enough. I'm out. Gotta go host a kids birthday party... Have a good weekend all.

• You can cite rules and laws that are set up to benefit a business that gorges on the middle class... but this has very little to with ethics.

• By your logic, all those workers in India and Indonesia should be content to work in sweat shops because they agreed to work there. If they don't like it, they could get a job in another sweat shop. All true, all legal... but still unethical to me.

• I'm not talking about stealing from eBay. I pay to list the book. If the book is no longer available because I sold it, I'm free to de-list. Sometimes a buyer will find me through an eBay's listing and we hammer out a deal. I argue for eBay to try and prevent this is in itself unethical... But people accept it like sheep because it is supported by the law.

• True, there are other auction sites like Heritage and ComicLink, but these pale in scale compared to eBay. These smaller sites may keep the Feds at bay but don't fool yourself into thinking that eBay is not a monopoly. Remember their aggressive maneuvers against Yahoo and Overstock? They even tried to squash Craigslist and Kijiji until they realized they couldn't shut them down... so they purchased a sizable chunk of their business instead.

• The larger issues of inequality in the world comes down to a lack of will. There is enough food, enough money, enough water to support the world population. However, it's this warped sense of "ethics" that prevents the distribution wealth. Remember the CEO of Worldcom who purchased $7000 shower curtains for his wife... how gross is that. The business is now defunct. He's still rolling around in money but many his employees had to find other means of support.

I'm not asking people to break any laws. But let's be clear about the difference. On one hand, stores like Walmart is an amazing achievement. But at what cost... Banks like Goldman Sachs are designed to make money. It's the perfect machine and it care very little about your personal circumstance.

Okay... I've rambled enough. I'm out. Gotta go host a kids birthday party... Have a good weekend all.

Why do you buy clothes at stores when you can get them at Salvation Army for $2-how gross is that man?

• The larger issues of inequality in the world comes down to a lack of will. There is enough food, enough money, enough water to support the world population. However, it's this warped sense of "ethics" that prevents the distribution wealth. Remember the CEO of Worldcom who purchased $7000 shower curtains for his wife... how gross is that. The business is now defunct. He's still rolling around in money but many his employees had to find other means of support.

I'm not asking people to break any laws. But let's be clear about the difference. On one hand, stores like Walmart is an amazing achievement. But at what cost... Banks like Goldman Sachs are designed to make money. It's the perfect machine and it care very little about your personal circumstance.

Why do you buy clothes at stores when you can get them at Salvation Army for $2-how gross is that man?

You're right... it is gross, considering that the people who made my clothes got paid pennies. But not as gross if I were to walk around naked...

-Cheers!

You're right... it is gross, considering that the people who made my clothes got paid pennies. But not as gross if I were to walk around naked...

-Cheers!

Ok well the people that made the shower curtains were paid quite well-so that's ok right?

• The larger issues of inequality in the world comes down to a lack of will. There is enough food, enough money, enough water to support the world population. However, it's this warped sense of "ethics" that prevents the distribution wealth. Remember the CEO of Worldcom who purchased $7000 shower curtains for his wife... how gross is that? The business is now defunct. He's still rolling around in money but many his employees had to find other means of support.

I'm not asking people to break any laws. But let's be clear about the difference. On one hand, stores like Walmart is an amazing achievement. But at what cost... Banks like Goldman Sachs are designed to make money. It's the perfect machine and it cares very little about your personal circumstance.

This post is the most complicated piece of pretzel logic I've ever read on this chat forum.

lol

In his defense, no amount of money was too much if it meant shielding him from seeing his wife's prodigious tuchus.

This kind of thinking is toxic-no one should buy expensive things-they're 'evil' and 'gross'.

By this logic close all restaurants except McDonald's and Burger King etc. And everyone drive a Yugo.

I'm gonna bust my and create a company that employs thousands so I can eat big Macs and drive a Yugo.

I can steal because hell rich people exist.

Anyone who has spent $7,000 on a 'funny book' when they could have fed the poor is just gross.

Yeah, no.