• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Here's an example of a seller where I feel they crossed the line in terms of violating eBay's contracts and policies: (insert name of seller here).

For years (insert name of seller here) would list very large lots of comics, using big photos where all the comics were spread out over a wall display. A lot of people here know what I am talking about. They would often list them as auctions with very high reserves -- I never experimented to see how high the reserves went, but people would bid up the auctions into several thousand dollars territory and they still wouldn't hit the reserve, so most bidders gave up. I know I did.

A friend of mine tried to bid on some of their stuff and didn't hit the reserve. Then, after the auction ended, (insert name of seller here) sent that friend a message offering to negotiate a sale outside of eBay. They worked on a price and finally my friend bought the lot -- it was something like 100 or more EC comics in all genres. My friend told me that the average grade/condition listed by (insert name of seller here) was way off and most of the comics were much lower grade, and I think he even complained to (insert name of seller here) but there wasn't much he could do because he wasn't protected by eBay policy. (insert name of seller here) might have shaved a little off the deal to appease him, I can't remember, but my friend was very disappointed with the experience and ended up spending months auctioning off most of the comics individually only to just about break even. (This of course was a valuable learning experience for a buyer...)

I also bid on a few (insert name of seller here) lots. I knew the drill and that I wouldn't hit the reserve, but there were some lots that had really cool stuff and I threw in bids for the heck of it. Several times, I ended up getting post-auction messages from (insert name of seller here) offering to make a deal off-site. After a few of these encounters, I decided not to bid on their stuff anymore. They had rigged the game so that it would always come out in their favor.

I think it's fair to conclude that (insert name of seller here) was using eBay entirely as a marketing site. Their entire setup was designed to avoid actual eBay sales, and therefore avoid paying percentage fees on transactions. That's just shady.

Once somebody reveals that they're OK with one form of shady practice, the obvious next question is: What other questionable practices are they capable of? This question applies to a lot of other sellers and venues I've experienced or read about.

Considering that we're on a CGC forum, I deliberately chose not to address this. In any case, whether CGC is or not has no bearing on eBay.

So, you'll criticize Ebay for being a monopoly ("aggressive maneuvers") but plead the 5th on CGC.

hm

ETA: Do you buy or sell on Ebay?

giggle.gif

-slym

Fair enough. :cool:

btw... what is your Ebay ID? ;):grin:

Many people here know my eBay ID. If they want to "out" me, that's their moral choice. I prefer to remain anonymous at this moment due to some hostile feelings some people may have. I can't predict what online people may want to do in retaliation or just for the fun of it.

I am straightforward here - I want to block you on my list. Nothing more.

So, what is your eBay ID?

-slym

Many people here know my eBay ID. If they want to "out" me, that's their moral choice. I prefer to remain anonymous at this moment due to some hostile feelings some people may have. I can't predict what online people may want to do in retaliation or just for the fun of it.

-slym

Don't let the moral authority bully you vger7, and don't give your ebay id here. Dealing outside of ebay happens and its not the end of the world.

-slym

Don't let the moral authority bully you vger7, and don't give your ebay id here. Dealing outside of ebay happens and its not the end of the world.

lol Moral authority? Either you haven't read the thread or you're too dense to deal with. What's your ebay ID?

So you guys feel that if a book is listed at a $100 shipped and you get a message from a potential buyer saying "would you take $90 shipped with a direct PayPal pmt? Please emial me at xxxx if interested. Thank you" should lead to a block of that buyer? And that buyer is scum and the seller is a deviant if they complete the deal off eBay?

:shy:

So you guys feel that if a book is listed at a $100 shipped and you get a message from a potential buyer saying "would you take $90 shipped with a direct PayPal pmt? Please emial me at xxxx if interested. Thank you" should lead to a block of that buyer? And that buyer is scum and the seller is a deviant if they complete the deal off eBay?

How is this so complicated?

There is an auction. If during that auction a party offers another party favoritism, that is fraud. If the auction is over and the item is no longer listed, it's not.

Dunno, is that way too oversimplified?

It's not complicated. I'm asking if my scenario screams "burn the witch! 2cdaic5.gif " because a potential buyer wanted to complete a sale on a book listed with a BIN price off eBay at a lower price.

Should that buyer be blocked? It's a simple, uncomplicated question.

lol Moral authority? Either you haven't read the thread or you're too dense to deal with. What's your ebay ID?

It happens. Get over it.

It happens. Get over it.

I'm not under anything....

Harvey, I seriously don't get it. Why I am asking lol

It happens. Get over it.

What I think Harvey is saying is this: If a buyer contacted you, offered a slightly lower price while you would save on fees, would that be enough justification to block a buyer?

It happens. Get over it.

What I think Harvey is saying is this: If a buyer contacted you, offered a slightly lower price while you would save on fees, would that be enough justification to block a buyer?

Ah. Is that book still on the auction block or has it been pulled?

Guess I'm missing the point.

Things I have taken away from this thread are....

Some people come across as shady, while others are pretty opinionated.

Harvey, I don't see anything wrong with your situation, as long as the book hasn't been bid on.

This is pretty much what the bidder was doing, offering a lower private-deal price on an item currently advertised on Ebay - and no I wouldn't block them and no I don't think they're scum.

They have good FB and I have no reason to suspect they're scamming ME.

But I do believe that violates Ebay policies.

The movie, though, is a rather heavy-handed message movie, the kind that turns entertaining fare into a preachy affair. The enforcement of speech codes, the moral superiority of condemning people for misspeaking when they had no malicious intent, the cowering in shame and humiliation when called out for misspeaking, and the warm glow that comes from self-righteousness are all on display.

So, in other words, the CGC boards

lol Essentially.

It's never preachy to do the right thing, or explain what the right thing is to the integrity-impaired.

And no one advised seppuku.

(shrug) Take away what you will. It's a metaphor.

It's never preachy to do the right thing, or explain what the right thing is to the integrity-impaired.

And no one advised seppuku.

Integrity-impaired. That's a funny one.

Kind of sounds like something the church-lady would say...and then refer to SATAN! You guys crack me up.