• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Or how about if you see a book listed on eBay and see the seller at a Con and say "I'll buy the book for $cashlessthanebay"...

Do the sellers say: "no! I'm not part of a ME society and you must purchase the book from eBay as I will not violate ebay's rules! :sumo: "

Seriously?

Of course not.

If a customer sees a book on E-Bay, then the obligation of the seller is to E-Bay, the service he/she used to market the book. If, on the other hand, a customer sees a book at any other venue (Comiclink, convention, etc.) that is also currently on E-Bay, then the seller has no obligation to sell the book through E-Bay.

This seems really obvious.

What if the person FIRST saw the book on eBay and inquired about it in person?

Or saw it on eBay first, saw it was MyComicShop and went to buy it on MyComicShop's site for less?

Geez... still going, huh? I was hoping this topic would evolve into a discussion about "right" and "wrong". It would be more productive if we took as step back and discussed stuff like deontological ethics or ethical egoism... which would be much more interesting.

Ethical egoism is an oxymoron. There's nothing ethical about making "me first" the overriding basis of all moral decisions. Ethical egoism is what leads people to drive through gas station lots instead of waiting for the light to become green so they can make a right turn.

So...

I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

I'll take saving $400 on a book than feeling guilty that I have wronged eBay. Integrity or no integrity, I SAVED $400... $400!!!

The seller agrees to the following terms and conditions:

NOT ALLOWED:

Listing an item and then being paid outside of eBay.

Listing an item and then offering additional identical items for sale outside of eBay

My own view:

If I'm ever in a selling situation where I need that extra 10% so badly that I'm willing to break a contract to get it, I'll just make it easy and charge an extra 10% in the original price. Then I'm covered and have no incentive to break any contract.

If I encounter a buyer who wants what I'm selling, but wants me to break a contract so he can shave 10% off the price, my immediate assumption is that he can't afford the book at all if the deal is made or broken over 10% of the cost.

My own view:

If I'm ever in a selling situation where I need that extra 10% so badly that I'm willing to break a contract to get it, I'll just make it easy and charge an extra 10% in the original price. Then I'm covered and have no incentive to break any contract.

If I encounter a buyer who wants what I'm selling, but wants me to break a contract so he can shave 10% off the price, my immediate assumption is that he can't afford the book at all if the deal is made or broken over 10% of the cost.

10% adds up for books over $1k...

THE seller has no agreement with eBay... We don't enter a binding contract of you must sell the book on eBay when listed.

Splitting hairs? The seller does have an agreement to abide by eBay policy. The policy is pretty clear:

"Policy overview

We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or selling outside of eBay.

If you receive an offer to buy or sell outside eBay, please report it.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account."

So...

I saw a book on eBay for $5k which I was interested in. I contacted the seller... "Hey, would you mind selling the book off eBay for $4600? This way it saves me money and you are making more money than selling on eBay and being hit with the seller fees."

I'll take saving $400 on a book than feeling guilty that I have wronged eBay. Integrity or no integrity, I SAVED $400... $400!!!

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-original.jpg

My own view:

10% adds up for books over $1k...

If you can't afford to pay the price and abide by the policies of the forum in which you're shopping, why are you buying?

I love getting a deal, but it's far more fun when it's legit.

You save a lot when shopping by stealing a few items. I mean that store makes tons of money. I saw the owner driving a really nice car. Plus they are the only store for miles. Pretty much have a monopoly forcing me to shop there.

You save a lot when shopping by stealing a few items. I mean that store makes tons of money. I saw the owner driving a really nice car. Plus they are the only store for miles. Pretty much have a monopoly forcing me to shop there.

:baiting: You could have that really nice care too if you were conscious about your money...

I know, right? And that money you save really adds up over time!