• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price.

1. If the seller said yeah he would take $4500 direct through PayPal.

2. You ask the seller would you take $4500 direct through PayPal.

Seller breaks even and you save a lot of money.

If you say NO, I believe you need to rethink your financial thinking.

Just in case Stu's question with regard to the sig line email to vger7 gets poofed with all the follow up posts.

It's also been posted as a contact under both accounts :popcorn: .

sagat

vger7

It amazes me when people that should be trying to stay under the radar always do the exact opposite. He had a good run with his shill account but drew too much attention to himself. Well done as always board detectives!

Would the same scrutiny be applied to someone you agreed with here? I sincerely doubt it. Congratulations! You silenced someone who disagrees with you. (slow clap)

Congrats, you missed the point. SAGAT is a probation list member. If Vger truly is SAGAT then no one on this board should be dealing with him. Consider it a PSA.

Oh I get the point. If you can't beat his logic, you might as well come up with something else! Mob at its worst.

I'm learning so much useful information about board members in this thread.

I have flat feet. Please add that to my file.

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price.

I'm going on record as saying NO because I wouldn't spend $5000 or $4500 on any comic. That isn't financially responsible for me.

And even if it were a lot less money, I still wouldn't do it.

Outing the shill account of a board member who is on the probation list can be blamed away and dismissed as mob mentality

ooooooookay.

I refuse to sell to anyone on that list or buy from anyone on that list. The problem is that there are many others who feel differently. On top of that, the one person that I had a problem with on these boards basically told me that the list is a joke and that people would continue to deal with them anyway.

then I realized... they were right.

It is what it is... but it seems that people still do whatever they want around these parts which is sad. It was Logan that coined the phrase (or was it Park?) of "Kool Books" and it definitely holds true.

Just in case Stu's question with regard to the sig line email to vger7 gets poofed with all the follow up posts.

sagat

vger7

It amazes me when people that should be trying to stay under the radar always do the exact opposite. He had a good run with his shill account but drew too much attention to himself. Well done as always board detectives!

Would the same scrutiny be applied to someone you agreed with here? I sincerely doubt it. Congratulations! You silenced someone who disagrees with you. (slow clap)

Congrats, you missed the point. SAGAT is a probation list member. If Vger truly is SAGAT then no one on this board should be dealing with him. Consider it a PSA.

Oh I get the point. If you can't beat his logic, you might as well come up with something else! Mob at its worst.

No, you missed it again. This isn't about the discussion in this thread. This is about outing a person who is on the probation list because they created a shill account in order to continue buying/selling here. We have a probation list here for a reason.

SAGAT got himself (herself?) into trouble and landed on the probation list. Instead of solving his/her problems, he/she decided to create a shill account to get around that. I suppose you think that's okay as well.

You can say anything you want, but your actions speak louder. Here's this user who vocally states his position on an issue. You, and apparently several "older" members vehemently disagree with him. Then miraculously its found he's been using alternate accounts, doing naughty things, whatever you can dig up on him. Now he's in the "doghouse" whatever that means.

Its the mob at its worst. Congratulations.

Not true. If the issues from the music industry has revealed anything, it is that the workers get paid the same no matter how much profits a corporation brings in.

Profits go down, people lose jobs.

I find it shocking that so many people don't realize the relationship between expenses and prices. I don't think it always used to be that way. I think people used to think more of others than they do today. That sort of thinking is the reason why we can never have world peace. Everyone only thinks of themselves first and that is a race to zero.

I agree with Stu, eye for an eye would eventually leave everyone blind which is why nobody lives by that law anymore.

The more people skim illegally from companies the more it ends up costing everyone in the long run.

You have someone break into your car to steal the stereo so that you can make out with the insurance pay off because insurance companies are bad but this causes rates to go up so everyone pays for more, including you.

You steal people's music forcing artists to charge more for merchandise and tickets.

You skim sales off of eBay and they raise fees to make the same money.

Just because they factor business losses into the model does not mean it's OK to be responsible for those losses.

How much of our taxes just go towards paying the legal system to enforce the law? Every time you break a law, you're costing tax payers more money.

You don't pay your taxes because gubmint' is bad and they need to increase taxes to pay for all of the goods and service we receive from those taxes.

What was an eye opener for me was after watching Noam Chomsky's recent movie Requiem for the American Dream.

We enjoy terrific roads, welfare services for the poor, freedom, peaceful living and an infrastructure that keeps it all going. He said that when tax time comes, we should all be celebrating and wanting to pay our taxes to celebrate all of the terrific things those taxes pay for. Instead, people complain and try to avoid them. Why is that?

We've lost touch with reality.

While everything you say is true, its all highly idealized. As I stated in an earlier post that you referred to pretzel logic, there is enough money and food to go around but there is a lack of will. It's unbelievable to me that there are hungry people in the world when restaurants throw away perfectly good food every night. Yes, as Kav pointed out, they have a right to, just like the wealthy have a right to buy $7000 shower curtains. To me, it's the acceptance of this behavior that is troubling.

Laws have evolved over many years to cater to the upper class. Policies are passed off as being "ethical" and laws are assumed to be just. However, if this was truly the case... we wouldn't have the Batman!

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price[?] Yes, I can honestly tell you that. (shrug)

1. If the seller said yeah he would take $4500 direct through PayPal. N/A

Seller breaks even and you save a lot of money. N/A

If you say NO, I believe you need to rethink your financial thinking. Perhaps, but at least I wouldn't have to rethink my ethics.

sagat

vger7

No, you missed it again. This isn't about the discussion in this thread. This is about outing a person who is on the probation list because they created a shill account in order to continue buying/selling here. We have a probation list here for a reason.

SAGAT got himself (herself?) into trouble and landed on the probation list. Instead of solving his/her problems, he/she decided to create a shill account to get around that. I suppose you think that's okay as well.

You can say anything you want, but your actions speak louder. Here's this user who vocally states his position on an issue. You, and apparently several "older" members vehemently disagree with him. Then miraculously its found he's been using alternate accounts, doing naughty things, whatever you can dig up on him. Now he's in the "doghouse" whatever that means.

Now it's an issue with "older" members eh? Is the old boy network oppressing the noobs? I sense a chip on your shoulder. All problems can be dismissed because of the "mob" mentality of "older" members.

And if my actions result in anyone on this board deciding they don't want to do business with me, I'm fine with that.

sagat

vger7

I'm learning so much useful information about board members in this thread.

I have flat feet. Please add that to my file.

It's all that walking to the mailbox.

sagat

vger7

You're really looking at this the wrong way. If Vger7 is indeed Sagat aka miffybunny (and his/her refusal to answer that question while continuing to voice his/her opinion on the thread topic speaks volumes) then his/her opinion is moot at this point. People end up on the probation list because they screwed someone over financially. Rather then address and correct their mistake, they decided to create a shill account and continue to participate here. If vger7 is Sagat, I wouldn't care if they had the best recipe for pumpkin pie in the known universe, I wouldn't want them to share it here. They're muff cabbage. :sumo:

Not true. If the issues from the music industry has revealed anything, it is that the workers get paid the same no matter how much profits a corporation brings in.

Profits go down, people lose jobs.

I find it shocking that so many people don't realize the relationship between expenses and prices. I don't think it always used to be that way. I think people used to think more of others than they do today. That sort of thinking is the reason why we can never have world peace. Everyone only thinks of themselves first and that is a race to zero.

I agree with Stu, eye for an eye would eventually leave everyone blind which is why nobody lives by that law anymore.

The more people skim illegally from companies the more it ends up costing everyone in the long run.

You have someone break into your car to steal the stereo so that you can make out with the insurance pay off because insurance companies are bad but this causes rates to go up so everyone pays for more, including you.

You steal people's music forcing artists to charge more for merchandise and tickets.

You skim sales off of eBay and they raise fees to make the same money.

Just because they factor business losses into the model does not mean it's OK to be responsible for those losses.

How much of our taxes just go towards paying the legal system to enforce the law? Every time you break a law, you're costing tax payers more money.

You don't pay your taxes because gubmint' is bad and they need to increase taxes to pay for all of the goods and service we receive from those taxes.

What was an eye opener for me was after watching Noam Chomsky's recent movie Requiem for the American Dream.

We enjoy terrific roads, welfare services for the poor, freedom, peaceful living and an infrastructure that keeps it all going. He said that when tax time comes, we should all be celebrating and wanting to pay our taxes to celebrate all of the terrific things those taxes pay for. Instead, people complain and try to avoid them. Why is that?

We've lost touch with reality.

While everything you say is true, its all highly idealized. As I stated in an earlier post that you referred to pretzel logic, there is enough money and food to go around but there is a lack of will. It's unbelievable to me that there are hungry people in the world when restaurants throw away perfectly good food every night. Yes, as Kav pointed out, they have a right to, just like the wealthy have a right to buy $7000 shower curtains. To me, it's the acceptance of this behavior that is troubling.

Laws have evolved over many years to cater to the upper class. Policies are passed off as being "ethical" and laws are assumed to be just. However, if this was truly the case... we wouldn't have the Batman!

But the point is not what everyone else does. It's what each person as an individual does. It's what YOU do that matters. What you or I do eventually rubs off on what the person next to us does. Before you know it, an entire country is affected - or infected.

Then you have eBay execs and gubmint' officials justifying their own bad behavior because joe public on the street does it. And where does it stop? When you or I decide to do the right thing.

You can justify it any way you want but in each instance above you are doing something 'wrong' and contributing to the greater problem. That's the big picture here.

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price[?] Yes, I can honestly tell you that. (shrug)

If you say NO, I believe you need to rethink your financial thinking. Perhaps, but at least I wouldn't have to rethink my ethics.

lol

sagat

vger7

You're really looking at this the wrong way. If Vger7 is indeed Sagat aka miffybunny (and his/her refusal to answer that question while continuing to voice his/her opinion on the thread topic speaks volumes) then his/her opinion is moot at this point. People end up on the probation list because they screwed someone over financially. Rather then address and correct their mistake, they decided to create a shill account and continue to participate here. If vger7 is Sagat, I wouldn't care if they had the best recipe for pumpkin pie in the known universe, I wouldn't want them to share it here. They're muff cabbage. :sumo:

None of that matters to GM8. All that matters is the righteous opposition to the mob.

If you go out of your way to avoid paying the fee for a service, then there's certainly a form of stealing going on.
Sometimes I avoid the toll road to avoid paying the toll. I drive a little extra but it never feels like stealing, but rather saving.

So you use Craigslist?

Not in the last 2 yrs

Well Craigslist would be the equivalent to what you wrote. Or some other service besides eBay. I'm talking about "avoiding the fee for a service that you've been using," not "avoiding the fee for a service by not using the service," which is equivalent to your non-toll-road example.

I drive home through the toll rd cause they only charge in bound. Thats stealing I guess. hm

Your analogy doesn't even make sense now. Avoid taking the LSAT...

The Tobin Bridge in Boston (a toll road) charges a passenger car $3.50 to cross it IN to Boston. No charge when leaving Boston. The one way toll was decided so as not to create a back up during the evening rush. Many drivers evade the toll by taking other routes in the morning only to Use the bridge later on for free. Some people use the bridge every day and never pay, some pay every day.

This is all very interesting, but it is hardly analogous to the eBay discussion.

i think you mean morals and if you have to rethink/question your morals before saving $500 doing a deal with someone from ebay off of ebay, i think your head would explode with the common morality questions. stealing bread for family etc.

I'm going on record as saying NO because I wouldn't spend $5000 or $4500 on any comic. That isn't financially responsible for me.

And even if it were a lot less money, I still wouldn't do it.

This thread is full of hypothetical questions people are getting upset over, so play along with the what if game.

I buy a roll of postage stamps with a company check for business use and eventually write off the expense on my taxes. Along the year I need a stamp for personal use to mail a birthday card, so I use one. Willful Tax Evasion?

Just like the GPA answer, it all comes down to intent. Are you doing it in the spirit of the law?

Even a judge will offer leniency based on intent.

If you're in a pinch it's not a big deal. If you're doing it systematically you're breaking the law.

sagat

vger7

None of that matters to GM8. All that matters is the righteous opposition to the mob.

Kinda makes you wonder who GM8 is a shill for... hm

:jokealert: