• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Just in case Stu's question with regard to the sig line email to vger7 gets poofed with all the follow up posts.

It's also been posted as a contact under both accounts :popcorn: .

sagat

vger7

It amazes me when people that should be trying to stay under the radar always do the exact opposite. He had a good run with his shill account but drew too much attention to himself. Well done as always board detectives!

Would the same scrutiny be applied to someone you agreed with here? I sincerely doubt it. Congratulations! You silenced someone who disagrees with you. (slow clap)

Congrats, you missed the point. SAGAT is a probation list member. If Vger truly is SAGAT then no one on this board should be dealing with him. Consider it a PSA.

Oh I get the point. If you can't beat his logic, you might as well come up with something else! Mob at its worst.

No, you missed it again. This isn't about the discussion in this thread. This is about outing a person who is on the probation list because they created a shill account in order to continue buying/selling here. We have a probation list here for a reason.

SAGAT got himself (herself?) into trouble and landed on the probation list. Instead of solving his/her problems, he/she decided to create a shill account to get around that. I suppose you think that's okay as well.

You can say anything you want, but your actions speak louder. Here's this user who vocally states his position on an issue. You, and apparently several "older" members vehemently disagree with him. Then miraculously its found he's been using alternate accounts, doing naughty things, whatever you can dig up on him. Now he's in the "doghouse" whatever that means.

Its the mob at its worst. Congratulations.

Now it's an issue with "older" members eh? Is the old boy network oppressing the noobs? I sense a chip on your shoulder. All problems can be dismissed because of the "mob" mentality of "older" members.

And if my actions result in anyone on this board deciding they don't want to do business with me, I'm fine with that.

By older I mean thousands of posts..nothing more, hence the quotes.

It is a mob mentality. The cause is surely just, the mob is certainly righteous and the miscreant surely is guilty of crimes. Same stuff different day.

If I'm the only one who will say it then so be it.

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price.

1. If the seller said yeah he would take $4500 direct through PayPal.

2. You ask the seller would you take $4500 direct through PayPal.

Seller breaks even and you save a lot of money.

If you say NO, I believe you need to rethink your financial thinking.

I'm going on record as saying NO because I wouldn't spend $5000 or $4500 on any comic. That isn't financially responsible for me.

And even if it were a lot less money, I still wouldn't do it.

This thread is full of hypothetical questions people are getting upset over, so play along with the what if game.

This was one of my favorite What ifs...

2093087_150515093917_11165300_10206015207195885_6012358685452063726_n.jpg

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price.

I'm going on record as saying NO because I wouldn't spend $5000 or $4500 on any comic. That isn't financially responsible for me.

This thread is full of hypothetical questions people are getting upset over, so play along with the what if game.

If ProfessorX was a bad mutant, you know he would do deals off of eBay!!

I like how it's ok to screw E-Bay out of their agreed-upon fee for service because, well, they're big.

I like how the Probation List, the self-policing activity that protects honest buyers and sellers on these Boards, is a mob.

This thread is screwy. :screwy:

Just in case Stu's question with regard to the sig line email to vger7 gets poofed with all the follow up posts.

It's also been posted as a contact under both accounts :popcorn: .

sagat

vger7

It amazes me when people that should be trying to stay under the radar always do the exact opposite. He had a good run with his shill account but drew too much attention to himself. Well done as always board detectives!

Would the same scrutiny be applied to someone you agreed with here? I sincerely doubt it. Congratulations! You silenced someone who disagrees with you. (slow clap)

Congrats, you missed the point. SAGAT is a probation list member. If Vger truly is SAGAT then no one on this board should be dealing with him. Consider it a PSA.

Oh I get the point. If you can't beat his logic, you might as well come up with something else! Mob at its worst.

No, you missed it again. This isn't about the discussion in this thread. This is about outing a person who is on the probation list because they created a shill account in order to continue buying/selling here. We have a probation list here for a reason.

SAGAT got himself (herself?) into trouble and landed on the probation list. Instead of solving his/her problems, he/she decided to create a shill account to get around that. I suppose you think that's okay as well.

You can say anything you want, but your actions speak louder. Here's this user who vocally states his position on an issue. You, and apparently several "older" members vehemently disagree with him. Then miraculously its found he's been using alternate accounts, doing naughty things, whatever you can dig up on him. Now he's in the "doghouse" whatever that means.

Now it's an issue with "older" members eh? Is the old boy network oppressing the noobs? I sense a chip on your shoulder. All problems can be dismissed because of the "mob" mentality of "older" members.

And if my actions result in anyone on this board deciding they don't want to do business with me, I'm fine with that.

By older I mean thousands of posts..nothing more, hence the quotes.

It is a mob mentality. The cause is surely just, the mob is certainly righteous and the miscreant surely is guilty of crimes. Same stuff different day.

If I'm the only one who will say it then so be it.

There is no mob. People just want what is best. You're trying to introduce something that isn't there.

If it's a "personal grail" then that means I want it A LOT. Which means I'll do what it takes within my own budget to make up the extra $500 difference between a policy-maintaining transaction and a policy-violating transaction.

If I can afford $4,500, then I can afford $5,000. If I can't afford $5,000, then I have no business shelling out $4,500. After all, this is a "personal grail" for a fun collecting hobby. Not the difference between survival and oblivion.

Folks, I am not sagat. I don't have multiple accounts. He's local so I know him and he helped me buy some books off the boards a couple of times, which is probably why my email is in one of his posts. No need to start something over nothing.

I don't make promises that I can't keep and I do my best to follow through with everything I say. I live in Toronto, I'm poor but I've been blessed with 3 beautiful daughters so I'm luckier than most. I've been lurking off and on the CGC boards for a long time but I only recently decided to be more active since I was laid off work a few years ago, so I have the a bit more time now to commit to these discussions.

I'm 5'5", Asian... T-shirt and jeans are my preferred choice of dress. I have black hair, glasses and I'm working on firming up my butt at the gym every other day. I love Silver and Bronze Age books. However, considering my age and in anticipation of all the retiring baby boomers, I'm trying to get ahead of the curve and have been slowly selling my collection.

So, if you're one of those online nut jobs, who are passively out to "get" me, you know where to aim you pick up truck. I'm sorry if you find my ramblings so offensive to actually make the effort to try and "out" me, but it's not intentional... and, oh well... can't make everybody happy.

I know that this wont satisfy those who are thirsty for blood but it will have to do for now.

I NEVER knew Ebay was this powerful. FOR all the horror stories I read about

EBAY Never backing sellers and they STILL kiss ebays . Every time I had a problem on EBAY they NEVER have my back. NEVER. Ebay only protects the buyer...Don't kid yourself.

The day I worry about EBAY profits is the day I burn my collection in the back yard.

Does Ebay deserve fee's? Of course they do. If a seller has to go around EBAY to get

the sale I say GOOD for him/her as long as they get paid what they wanted.

For those that TURN down sales its your choice. If you would have made that same amount...

then I call you a

"MINDLESS Drone" I think is a good term for several of you here.

E

If ProfessorX was a bad mutant, you know he would do deals off of eBay!!

On page 18, they show evil Prof. X shipping slabs packed between two bowling balls. What a . :mad:

• If people always followed the rules made by others in a position of power, things would never change. We'd all still be living in a feudal system. If we don't like aspects about eBay, we are free to act. Sometimes our acts may contradict corporate policy but necessary in order to instill change.

Historically, and realistically, the one way we are most "free to act" is by not using eBay's services if we object to something about them. In your posts, I do not see you making any substantial objections to eBay's current system that would justify action on the level of fee avoidance. Nor do you make a case for how fee avoidance behaviors can "instill change" that you seek. Often such behaviors actually make companies worse -- they have to charge higher fees elsewhere in order to make up for the shrink when people steal.

Exactly. At least part of the fee that people feel justified in trying to skip out on is due to people before them doing just that.

As you said, the way to act if you don't like eBay fees is to not use eBay. Pretty simple, really.

Then miraculously its found he's been using alternate accounts, doing naughty things, whatever you can dig up on him. Now he's in the "doghouse" whatever that means.

I have no horses in this race, but there is nothing miraculous at all happening here. Vger7 has the same email as SAGAT. That is a fact and that is a problem based on SAGAT's previous less-than-palatable dealings on these boards. This is not a case of "whatever you can dig up on him." Nobody has hacked his iCloud. The fact that a member has discovered that Vger7 and SAGAT appear to be the same person should be lauded. This is how this community tries to protect itself. Look at the link to the 2011 probation discussion about what SAGAT did to make the probation list. It was not a relatively minor transgression like backing out of an agreement for a $10 book.

This is the best point made to screw ebay whenever you get the chance:

Also, ebay states that 'chance auctions' are forbidden-yet you can report them till the cows come home and they do NOTHING.

You can report a super fraudster like jamcook237 who repeatedly lists provably fraudulent auctions and his email address demanding that you contact him outside ebay and ebay NEVER NARUS HIM.

So hey ebay-if you are not going to follow YOUR OWN RULES why should we?

For all the sellers who eBay should block who don't seem to be blocked, I've also seen several listings get pulled and users blocked. It often happens here, where somebody posts the link to a fraudulent auction, then later in the message thread somebody writes "poof" and the link goes to an eBay page that shows the listing has been removed.

eBay definitely should keep fighting fraud as hard as possible. If they don't, they risk more than fee avoidance. They risk losing a lot of longtime buyers and sellers altogether.

Yes the item gets pulled but the user's account is STILL ACTIVE. So they just relist it.

There are sellers who use eBay basically as an online showroom, build mailing lists, and then offer non-eBay discounts for books bought outside that venue. Are those sellers behaving unethically?

Setting aside that question, I will say that I tend to avoid doing business with those sellers. By posting books on eBay that they don't really want to sell on eBay, they are wasting my time browsing eBay's listings, since I don't patronize eBay to see advertising for somebody's off-site products. I use the means at my disposal to search-results block those sellers -- many of whom spam areas full of their inventory and make it difficult to find the good stuff.

Whether they're unethical is not my problem. I will say that at least one high-volume seller has crossed the line in this regard, taking what you describe a few steps too far. I've also seen dealers who post their stuff on eBay with the full intent of selling it on eBay, and not with a wink and a nudge and "Come to my site for a litttle discount, guvner!"

One of the things you start to see in patterns like this is the following: People who cut a lot of corners in one way, often cut a lot of corners in other ways. Once you know somebody is comfortable with breaking this policy or that rule, on an ongoing or wide scale, then you have to wonder what else they're OK with? They're good with breaking policies as part of their business model -- okay, so how do they feel about fudging their condition grades? How are they about purposely not disclosing key defects, then later saying "Oops I didn't see that, sorry, here's your refund" until they finally get a buyer who doesn't notice? These little ethical cheats tend to go hand-in-hand.

The occupy wall street was a valid response from the masses. But the masses don't have the resources to combat inequality. The masses are unorganized but remain free to express themselves. Weather they choose fee avoidance or opt out of eBay all together to communicate their discontent is an individual choice.[/color]

Incorrect. This is a common myth. Those that watched coverage of the protests witnessed protesters having no idea what they were protesting. Asked, they would answer 'we're looking into that'.

Some people they just like gathering and yelling and feeling part of something..

If it's a "personal grail" then that means I want it A LOT. Which means I'll do what it takes within my own budget to make up the extra $500 difference between a policy-maintaining transaction and a policy-violating transaction.

If I can afford $4,500, then I can afford $5,000. If I can't afford $5,000, then I have no business shelling out $4,500. After all, this is a "personal grail" for a fun collecting hobby. Not the difference between survival and oblivion.

Everyone is wired differently... I just don't see how if someone knew there was a way to save $500 that whey wouldn't do it... Even $50. $50 goes a long way in this fun collecting hobby.

Folks, I am not sagat. I don't have multiple accounts. He's local so I know him and he helped me buy some books off the boards a couple of times, which is probably why my email is in one of his posts. No need to start something over nothing.

I don't make promises that I can't keep and I do my best to follow through with everything I say. I live in Toronto, I'm poor but I've been blessed with 3 beautiful daughters so I'm luckier than most. I've been lurking off and on the CGC boards for a long time but I only recently decided to be more active since I was laid off work a few years ago, so I have the a bit more time now to commit to these discussions.

I'm 5'5", Asian... T-shirt and jeans are my preferred choice of dress. I have black hair, glasses and I'm working on firming up my butt at the gym every other day. I love Silver and Bronze Age books. However, considering my age and in anticipation of all the retiring baby boomers, I'm trying to get ahead of the curve and have been slowly selling my collection.

So, if you're one of those online nut jobs, who are passively out to "get" me, you know where to aim you pick up truck. I'm sorry if you find my ramblings so offensive to actually make the effort to try and "out" me, but it's not intentional... and, oh well... can't make everybody happy.

I know that this wont satisfy those who are thirsty for blood but it will have to do for now.

I've met Sagat in person and for some reason (coincidence?) but your physical description matches his actual physical description.

Things that make you go mmmmm!!!

:o

I like how it's ok to screw E-Bay out of their agreed-upon fee because, well, they're big.

I like how the Probation List, the self-policing activity that protects honest buyers and sellers on these Boards, is a mob.

This thread is screwy. :screwy:

It's all just different levels of understanding. I find as I matured I came to realize how my decision making affected those around me. As a kid or a young adult I used to take short cuts in life. Most of us did. As I got older I realizee it was wrong and went back to undo those things I did wrong in the past. Not that anyone is perfect but it's all about trajectory. Upwards and onwards.

Age is a great equalizer

I NEVER knew Ebay was this powerful. FOR all the horror stories I read about

EBAY Never backing sellers and they STILL kiss ebays . Every time I had a problem on EBAY they NEVER have my back. NEVER. Ebay only protects the buyer...Don't kid yourself.

eBay has had my back several times, both as buyer and seller. They're not perfect but they've helped me avoid scam situations in both directions. I don't like their fees any more than the next person, but I consider that the cost of doing business through eBay.