• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Not true. If the issues from the music industry has revealed anything, it is that the workers get paid the same no matter how much profits a corporation brings in.

Profits go down, people lose jobs.

Except that eBay profits are not going down. They've been level for the longest time... but still not good enough for the shareholders which is why they spun off PayPal for those who want higher yield.

You speak as if you know why eBay and PayPal split. And your reason above was not the reason.

Just in case Stu's question with regard to the sig line email to vger7 gets poofed with all the follow up posts.

It's also been posted as a contact under both accounts :popcorn: .

sagat

vger7

It amazes me when people that should be trying to stay under the radar always do the exact opposite. He had a good run with his shill account but drew too much attention to himself. Well done as always board detectives!

Would the same scrutiny be applied to someone you agreed with here? I sincerely doubt it. Congratulations! You silenced someone who disagrees with you. (slow clap)

Congrats, you missed the point. SAGAT is a probation list member. If Vger truly is SAGAT then no one on this board should be dealing with him. Consider it a PSA.

Oh I get the point. If you can't beat his logic, you might as well come up with something else! Mob at its worst.

No, you missed it again. This isn't about the discussion in this thread. This is about outing a person who is on the probation list because they created a shill account in order to continue buying/selling here. We have a probation list here for a reason.

SAGAT got himself (herself?) into trouble and landed on the probation list. Instead of solving his/her problems, he/she decided to create a shill account to get around that. I suppose you think that's okay as well.

You can say anything you want, but your actions speak louder. Here's this user who vocally states his position on an issue. You, and apparently several "older" members vehemently disagree with him. Then miraculously its found he's been using alternate accounts, doing naughty things, whatever you can dig up on him. Now he's in the "doghouse" whatever that means.

Its the mob at its worst. Congratulations.

You're really looking at this the wrong way. If Vger7 is indeed Sagat aka miffybunny (and his/her refusal to answer that question while continuing to voice his/her opinion on the thread topic speaks volumes) then his/her opinion is moot at this point. People end up on the probation list because they screwed someone over financially. Rather then address and correct their mistake, they decided to create a shill account and continue to participate here. If vger7 is Sagat, I wouldn't care if they had the best recipe for pumpkin pie in the known universe, I wouldn't want them to share it here. They're muff cabbage. :sumo:

None of that matters to GM8. All that matters is the righteous opposition to the mob.

Kinda makes you wonder who GM8 is a shill for... hm

:jokealert:

Not so sure that's a joke. The thought occurred to me.

This is the best point made to screw ebay whenever you get the chance:

Also, ebay states that 'chance auctions' are forbidden-yet you can report them till the cows come home and they do NOTHING.

You can report a super fraudster like jamcook237 who repeatedly lists provably fraudulent auctions and his email address demanding that you contact him outside ebay and ebay NEVER NARUS HIM.

So hey ebay-if you are not going to follow YOUR OWN RULES why should we?

For all the sellers who eBay should block who don't seem to be blocked, I've also seen several listings get pulled and users blocked. It often happens here, where somebody posts the link to a fraudulent auction, then later in the message thread somebody writes "poof" and the link goes to an eBay page that shows the listing has been removed.

eBay definitely should keep fighting fraud as hard as possible. If they don't, they risk more than fee avoidance. They risk losing a lot of longtime buyers and sellers altogether.

Yes the item gets pulled but the user's account is STILL ACTIVE. So they just relist it.

I have no idea why eBay doesn't more aggressively NARU those people. They should.

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price.

1. If the seller said yeah he would take $4500 direct through PayPal.

2. You ask the seller would you take $4500 direct through PayPal.

Seller breaks even and you save a lot of money.

If you say NO, I believe you need to rethink your financial thinking.

If it's a "personal grail" then that means I want it A LOT. Which means I'll do what it takes within my own budget to make up the extra $500 difference between a policy-maintaining transaction and a policy-violating transaction.

If I can afford $4,500, then I can afford $5,000. If I can't afford $5,000, then I have no business shelling out $4,500. After all, this is a "personal grail" for a fun collecting hobby. Not the difference between survival and oblivion.

Everyone is wired differently... I just don't see how if someone knew there was a way to save $500 that whey wouldn't do it... Even $50. $50 goes a long way in this fun collecting hobby.

For $5 you can have your grail.... But you know that if you violate policy you can get your grail for $4.50... WHAT DO YOU DO???

Just in case Stu's question with regard to the sig line email to vger7 gets poofed with all the follow up posts.

It's also been posted as a contact under both accounts :popcorn: .

sagat

vger7

It amazes me when people that should be trying to stay under the radar always do the exact opposite. He had a good run with his shill account but drew too much attention to himself. Well done as always board detectives!

Would the same scrutiny be applied to someone you agreed with here? I sincerely doubt it. Congratulations! You silenced someone who disagrees with you. (slow clap)

Congrats, you missed the point. SAGAT is a probation list member. If Vger truly is SAGAT then no one on this board should be dealing with him. Consider it a PSA.

Oh I get the point. If you can't beat his logic, you might as well come up with something else! Mob at its worst.

I'm learning so much useful information about board members in this thread.

Indeed.

Folks, I am not sagat. I don't have multiple accounts. He's local so I know him and he helped me buy some books off the boards a couple of times, which is probably why my email is in one of his posts. No need to start something over nothing.

I don't make promises that I can't keep and I do my best to follow through with everything I say. I live in Toronto, I'm poor but I've been blessed with 3 beautiful daughters so I'm luckier than most. I've been lurking off and on the CGC boards for a long time but I only recently decided to be more active since I was laid off work a few years ago, so I have the a bit more time now to commit to these discussions.

I'm 5'5", Asian... T-shirt and jeans are my preferred choice of dress. I have black hair, glasses and I'm working on firming up my butt at the gym every other day. I love Silver and Bronze Age books. However, considering my age and in anticipation of all the retiring baby boomers, I'm trying to get ahead of the curve and have been slowly selling my collection.

So, if you're one of those online nut jobs, who are passively out to "get" me, you know where to aim you pick up truck. I'm sorry if you find my ramblings so offensive to actually make the effort to try and "out" me, but it's not intentional... and, oh well... can't make everybody happy.

I know that this wont satisfy those who are thirsty for blood but it will have to do for now.

I don't understand-I've dealt with a lot of people too but I don't have their email address. It seems odd you ignored this issue for several pages then denied it and started discussing your butt. ???

Folks, I am not sagat. I don't have multiple accounts. He's local so I know him and he helped me buy some books off the boards a couple of times, which is probably why my email is in one of his posts. No need to start something over nothing.

I don't make promises that I can't keep and I do my best to follow through with everything I say. I live in Toronto, I'm poor but I've been blessed with 3 beautiful daughters so I'm luckier than most. I've been lurking off and on the CGC boards for a long time but I only recently decided to be more active since I was laid off work a few years ago, so I have the a bit more time now to commit to these discussions.

I'm 5'5", Asian... T-shirt and jeans are my preferred choice of dress. I have black hair, glasses and I'm working on firming up my butt at the gym every other day. I love Silver and Bronze Age books. However, considering my age and in anticipation of all the retiring baby boomers, I'm trying to get ahead of the curve and have been slowly selling my collection.

So, if you're one of those online nut jobs, who are passively out to "get" me, you know where to aim you pick up truck. I'm sorry if you find my ramblings so offensive to actually make the effort to try and "out" me, but it's not intentional... and, oh well... can't make everybody happy.

I know that this wont satisfy those who are thirsty for blood but it will have to do for now.

I don't understand-I've dealt with a lot of people too but I don't have their email address. It seems odd you ignored this issue for several pages then denied it and started discussing your butt. ???

lol you have discussed worse - funnier stuff but still worse lol

It's funny, but if you read the above with the mindset of a lawyer, you can determine that every single sentence you've written could be technically true and you STILL could be the same person who was prohibited from these forums.

"Folks, I am not sagat." (Lawyered: He uses lowercase here, he uses present tense versus past tense, etc.)

"I don't have multiple accounts." (Lawyered: He doesn't *currently* have multiple accounts, or he has had a series of single accounts, etc.)

"He's local so I know him and he helped me buy some books off the boards a couple of times, which is probably why my email is in one of his posts." (Lawyered: Refers to self in third person, or refers to the "he" of the previous account's "persona," etc.)

It's just funny the way the post was written. A person who was trying to be "clever" could write it that way and say, "I didn't lie -- every sentence I wrote was technically true" even though the jist of the matter was that he was, in fact, the person behind the previous prohibited account.

Can someone honestly tell me if they found a book on eBay that was a personal grail for $5k, that they would not contact the seller to see about a cheaper price.

If it's a "personal grail" then that means I want it A LOT. Which means I'll do what it takes within my own budget to make up the extra $500 difference between a policy-maintaining transaction and a policy-violating transaction.

If I can afford $4,500, then I can afford $5,000. If I can't afford $5,000, then I have no business shelling out $4,500. After all, this is a "personal grail" for a fun collecting hobby. Not the difference between survival and oblivion.

Everyone is wired differently... I just don't see how if someone knew there was a way to save $500 that whey wouldn't do it... Even $50. $50 goes a long way in this fun collecting hobby.

Correct. Everyone is wired differently. Some would cheat to gain $5 and others wouldn't.

I like how it's ok to screw E-Bay out of their agreed-upon fee for service because, well, they're big.

I like how the Probation List, the self-policing activity that protects honest buyers and sellers on these Boards, is a mob.

This thread is screwy. :screwy:

Agreed. Long live the mob!

lol you have discussed worse - funnier stuff but still worse lol

I really have. But never to try some distracting Jedi mind trick.

I saw another 'mob' situation-someone was arrested for murder and he was arrested tried, jury-etc-what a mob!!!

Not true. If the issues from the music industry has revealed anything, it is that the workers get paid the same no matter how much profits a corporation brings in.

Profits go down, people lose jobs.

I find it shocking that so many people don't realize the relationship between expenses and prices. I don't think it always used to be that way. I think people used to think more of others than they do today. That sort of thinking is the reason why we can never have world peace. Everyone only thinks of themselves first and that is a race to zero.

I agree with Stu, eye for an eye would eventually leave everyone blind which is why nobody lives by that law anymore.

The more people skim illegally from companies the more it ends up costing everyone in the long run.

You have someone break into your car to steal the stereo so that you can make out with the insurance pay off because insurance companies are bad but this causes rates to go up so everyone pays for more, including you.

You steal people's music forcing artists to charge more for merchandise and tickets.

You skim sales off of eBay and they raise fees to make the same money.

Just because they factor business losses into the model does not mean it's OK to be responsible for those losses.

How much of our taxes just go towards paying the legal system to enforce the law? Every time you break a law, you're costing tax payers more money.

You don't pay your taxes because gubmint' is bad and they need to increase taxes to pay for all of the goods and service we receive from those taxes.

What was an eye opener for me was after watching Noam Chomsky's recent movie Requiem for the American Dream.

We enjoy terrific roads, welfare services for the poor, freedom, peaceful living and an infrastructure that keeps it all going. He said that when tax time comes, we should all be celebrating and wanting to pay our taxes to celebrate all of the terrific things those taxes pay for. Instead, people complain and try to avoid them. Why is that?

We've lost touch with reality.

While everything you say is true, its all highly idealized. As I stated in an earlier post that you referred to pretzel logic, there is enough money and food to go around but there is a lack of will. It's unbelievable to me that there are hungry people in the world when restaurants throw away perfectly good food every night. Yes, as Kav pointed out, they have a right to, just like the wealthy have a right to buy $7000 shower curtains. To me, it's the acceptance of this behavior that is troubling.

Laws have evolved over many years to cater to the upper class. Policies are passed off as being "ethical" and laws are assumed to be just. However, if this was truly the case... we wouldn't have the Batman!

But the point is not what everyone else does. It's what each person as an individual does. It's what YOU do that matters. What you or I do eventually rubs off on what the person next to us does. Before you know it, an entire country is affected - or infected.

Then you have eBay execs and gubmint' officials justifying their own bad behavior because joe public on the street does it. And where does it stop? When you or I decide to do the right thing.

You can justify it any way you want but in each instance above you are doing something 'wrong' and contributing to the greater problem. That's the big picture here.

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, in principle, I'm with you 100%. I'm not necessarily out to screw eBay but I just don't believe in their "no direct transaction" policy. To blindly accept a blanket policy in the name of "ethics" is to be deluded. Especially if you know it only exists in service of eBay's "ME" attitude. Why is it okay for corporations to have this "ME" attitude but not us individuals. The principle of self preservation dictate that I take care of myself. Nothing wrong with this. It would be silly not to.

When something is wrong, I think we have a right to ignore it, correct it, or improve it. In fact, I would argue, that for the sake of the community, it would be "unethical" for you to do nothing about it. See what I mean by lack of will? It's easy to stand on policy and feel superior because it's in black and white. The true measure of your character is seeing how you navigate all the various conditions. Leadership is about making the right decisions... Following a set of rules is easy. Try doing the right thing when the rules tell you it's wrong.

The seller agrees to the following terms and conditions:

NOT ALLOWED:

Listing an item and then being paid outside of eBay.

Listing an item and then offering additional identical items for sale outside of eBay

Wait so an LCS with an Ebay store who lists the newest issue of Batman or TWD for sale on Ebay CAN'T also sell any copies of that same issue in their store!?????

:o

That's absurd.

I think you are reading this wrong - the intent here is to prohibit the selling to THE SAME PERSON identical items (with that item being something generally or often bought in multiples) by only listing 1 and going off-site for the rest.

An extreme and silly example would be selling 1 nail on eBay and selling the buyer the rest of the box off-site to save on fees.

I buy a roll of postage stamps with a company check for business use and eventually write off the expense on my taxes. Along the year I need a stamp for personal use to mail a birthday card, so I use one. Willful Tax Evasion?

Nope - a postage stamp costs less than a dollar, and taxable income items are rounded to full dollars, so no taxes avoided! lol

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, in principle, I'm with you 100%. I'm not necessarily out to screw eBay but I just don't believe in their "no direct transaction" policy.

My son used to say he didn't believe in alliteration, which I thought was funny. Your lack of belief really has no bearing, because it isn't a theory, it's a fact of their user agreement.

It exists whether you believe in it or not.

Corporations are evil.

Mobs are bad.

Unless it's a mob protesting corporations.

Or something.

In your scenario, the only way to know if "there was a way to save $500" is by doing something I and many here are saying they do not do, and that is contacting sellers to fish for off eBay savings.

If a sale doesn't have a 'Make an Offer' option and I thought I could get it for less than $Asking, I'd look for that offer. If every other offer I saw was more than $Asking, I'd feel kinda poopy thanking the seller for listing at the lowest by asking for more taken off the price.

If the seller states they're open to negotiations, then I'll try to get the price lowered. This is all because I never ask for off eBay deals.

Yes, everyone is wired differently. Some play by the rules, some don't.