• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearances in Marvel Comic Magaines
4 4

Comics Mags or Comics?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Comics Mags or Comics?

57 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2016 at 2:03 PM, Brian48 said:

Can't wait for Man-thing to take off. Long over due (thumbs u

http://comiclink.com/img/comics/scans/RAD52B4720131118_164415.jpg

Damn. This post was from 2016. And we're still waiting... 

Personally annoyed that Savage Tales #1 happens to be the first man thing. I've collected Savage Sword of Conan #1-#200 or so and all of the Savage Tales except for #1 so far and now I would have to pay crazy prices to get a Conan mag just because man thing is in it.  Conan really has no "heat" these days. No hope of a MCU movie or show(seems to be all that drives values anymore) , so fringe collectors aren't blowing it up. I think the man thing intro is really what drives the price up for that book and that's unfortunate for us Conan fans. 

14 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Personally annoyed that Savage Tales #1 happens to be the first man thing. I've collected Savage Sword of Conan #1-#200 or so and all of the Savage Tales except for #1 so far and now I would have to pay crazy prices to get a Conan mag just because man thing is in it.  Conan really has no "heat" these days. No hope of a MCU movie or show(seems to be all that drives values anymore) , so fringe collectors aren't blowing it up. I think the man thing intro is really what drives the price up for that book and that's unfortunate for us Conan fans. 

This is a great example of why Conan books are a screaming buy right now. The property is in development at Netflix as we speak and a lot of people either don't know it or have already forgotten about it.

Get em while you still can. Especially the keys.

23 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

This is a great example of why Conan books are a screaming buy right now. The property is in development at Netflix as we speak and a lot of people either don't know it or have already forgotten about it.

Shhhhhh! 🤭

1 hour ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Interesting.. I had no idea this was in development. Do you think it will really have an impact on the values for either the Conan the Barbarian or Savage Sword of comics? With the Netflix show having nothing to do with Marvel and the character existing outside of the marvel universe I'm not sure what to expect. 

Yes I think it will have an impact. Star Wars books (all publishers) sat in dollar bins for years. Then a little thing called the Mandalorian came along. Now look at those books.

If you want to really play it safe stick to the keys and the Windsor Smith stuff and the REH adaptations etc., but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of it to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Yes I think it will have an impact. Star Wars books (all publishers) sat in dollar bins for years. Then a little thing called the Mandalorian came along. Now look at those books.

If you want to really play it safe stick to the keys and the Windsor Smith stuff and the REH adaptations etc., but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of it to be honest.

:gossip:  Classic/awesome covers.

On 3/14/2021 at 4:20 PM, serling1978 said:

Conan is slow right now because the media focus is on contemporary superhero and action. Sword and sandals / sword and sorcery has been out of favor since some point in the '80s, I think. But that will change eventually; it always does. It's a genre that has gone in and out of favor essentially since the beginning of cinema. And Conan is probably the single biggest name-drop character for when it returns.

45 minutes ago, peted76 said:

Are the Marvel UK Transformer comics really magazines?

CGC lists them as 'Transformers Comics Magazine'.

Yes, they are magazines in size but "comic magazines" are simply comic books in a larger format. In fact, publishers referred to comics as magazines for decades. The difference is mainly the format size. If you were to submit them to CGC you'd have to choose magazine tier.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:15 AM, peted76 said:

Are the Marvel UK Transformer comics really magazines?

CGC lists them as 'Transformers Comics Magazine'... anyway.. Deaths Head 1st App in  #113.

First movie appearance for Deaths Head looks like it's about to launch.

Lightyear official trailer #2

image.thumb.png.bcf2be7bb796eb75cc79f63eb059eb5b.png

image.thumb.png.2b18fe7acb1706333622871c46c509ff.png

On 6/30/2022 at 1:33 AM, wpbooks01 said:

1st Pussycat (art by W. Wood - 1965)

1615355379_MaleAnnual3_1965.jpg.e65bf04ec34e10b2a81d2edb5709fb85.jpg

Sort of reprinted though retouched in this more 'famous' collection circa 1968

513341060_TitlePageCover.thumb.jpg.40b94154c4ba0ae3089a07ec832a26d4.jpg

I don't have the reprint collection but I think I have almost all the originals at this point (at least the ones from my checklist).  I want the collection as well because (as you mentioned) they are reportedly "cleaned up" and it would be nice to read in that format.  I finally found my Male Annual about a year after you posted yours.  (thumbsu

On 6/30/2022 at 6:48 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I don't have the reprint collection but I think I have almost all the originals at this point (at least the ones from my checklist).

That would entail 65 issues of sweat mags, plus the compilation, as it contains an original tale,Hidden Hippie Caper!  Congrats!

Edited by wpbooks01

On 6/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, wpbooks01 said:

That would entail 65 issues of sweat mags, plus the compilation, as it contains an original tale,Hidden Hippie Caper!  Congrats!

I have hundreds of those bad boys.  The issues with Pussycat in them are after most of the Nazi torture books which makes them a little easier to find.  Still tough though, took me 4 or 5 years and I'm sure I'm still missing a few.  Just haven't had a chance to go back through and check things off.

As I'm sure you know, there are several of the later issues that are actually reprints of earlier issues.