• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird/Unpleasant Comic Shop Experience

182 posts in this topic

Today I went to some comic shops about an hour from where I live in NC. At one (I won't name the shop unless you want to know via PM), they didn't really have any current issues. There were only boxes full of older comics (SA, etc.) in Mylite2s. I thought it was pretty cool. Even some semi-key issues were still in the boxes to look through. They were all priced a little above eBay prices with some cool wall books as well (ASM #5, #41, #129, X-Men #1 just to name a few).

So after looking around the shop, I picked out a poor copy of ASM #29 they had priced at $20. The cover was loose, there was a stain on the front cover. On top of that, I picked out an ASM #72, which was around the 4-5.0 range, priced at $22. Lastly, I found a copy of the Alex Ross ASM #121 Not For Resale cover, which was priced at $12.

I walked to the woman at the counter and asked if there was any room to work on the three. She said she could probably do $50 but needed to talk to the owner. He was a younger looking guy (35 or so), who then proceeded to look up prices on his phone in front of me. I stood there and waited for about five minutes. He said he would sell me the #29 and #72 for $35 and the Alex Ross for full price. I had in mind to pay $45 based on the condition of the older books so we were only off $2. He walked away and I looked the books over one more time. I asked the woman if that would be $47 total (the $35 plus the $12). Then the guy looks over from about ten feet away and tells me no. His offer was $35 for the older books or FULL PRICE FOR ALL THREE if I bought the Alex Ross cover! I literally said that made no sense to me. I was staying calm, but getting pretty mad inside. He didn't respond, so I put the two older books back and just bought the Ross for $12. What in the world was he doing? Has anybody ever experienced something like that or know his reasoning?

The two older books were REALLY beat up, so I don't know why he would choose to let two more sales go. I'll never go back to that store.

rantrant

In any event, i would like to apologize to you chaseman. I am sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at my store. I felt i was being lowballed on key/underpriced books and made a decision that you didnt like. I hope you make your way back to my store but if you do not, good luck in your comic hunting.

Hey, everyone,

I've been away at work all day and just got a chance to get back on.

Green, I honestly didn't know what the ASM #121 sells/sold for in the past. I just knew the Alex Ross cover from memory. That was actually the first book I found and knew I wanted when I was going through the boxes. If I knew it was under priced, I wouldn't have said anything. It means a lot that you followed through on a sale.

I saw you had two copies of #72, so I picked the cheaper copy and then found the #29 before going to pay. If I would've known the pricing on the #121, I wouldn't have asked if there was room on the books.

Thank you for coming on here and explaining your line of thinking with the sale. If I knew that in the store, I would have definitely understood where you were coming from. Also, I know not everybody can offer discounts on books, but it just threw me off when there was a discount on two but then full price with three lol .But I understand if you were busy.

It means a lot that you came on here and told your side and apologized. When I posted this, I wasn't trying to bash anybody or any store - I was trying to figure out if anybody knew the reason it would be discounted/full. That's why I didn't list the name of the store or anything like that. I also apologize as well, and I'll definitely stop back by when I'm in town if I'm still welcome :hi:

This is a nice resolution.

The moral of the story:

Pokemons hurt silver age sales.

Today I went to some comic shops about an hour from where I live in NC. At one (I won't name the shop unless you want to know via PM), they didn't really have any current issues. There were only boxes full of older comics (SA, etc.) in Mylite2s. I thought it was pretty cool. Even some semi-key issues were still in the boxes to look through. They were all priced a little above eBay prices with some cool wall books as well (ASM #5, #41, #129, X-Men #1 just to name a few).

So after looking around the shop, I picked out a poor copy of ASM #29 they had priced at $20. The cover was loose, there was a stain on the front cover. On top of that, I picked out an ASM #72, which was around the 4-5.0 range, priced at $22. Lastly, I found a copy of the Alex Ross ASM #121 Not For Resale cover, which was priced at $12.

I walked to the woman at the counter and asked if there was any room to work on the three. She said she could probably do $50 but needed to talk to the owner. He was a younger looking guy (35 or so), who then proceeded to look up prices on his phone in front of me. I stood there and waited for about five minutes. He said he would sell me the #29 and #72 for $35 and the Alex Ross for full price. I had in mind to pay $45 based on the condition of the older books so we were only off $2. He walked away and I looked the books over one more time. I asked the woman if that would be $47 total (the $35 plus the $12). Then the guy looks over from about ten feet away and tells me no. His offer was $35 for the older books or FULL PRICE FOR ALL THREE if I bought the Alex Ross cover! I literally said that made no sense to me. I was staying calm, but getting pretty mad inside. He didn't respond, so I put the two older books back and just bought the Ross for $12. What in the world was he doing? Has anybody ever experienced something like that or know his reasoning?

The two older books were REALLY beat up, so I don't know why he would choose to let two more sales go. I'll never go back to that store.

rantrant

In any event, i would like to apologize to you chaseman. I am sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at my store. I felt i was being lowballed on key/underpriced books and made a decision that you didnt like. I hope you make your way back to my store but if you do not, good luck in your comic hunting.

Hey, everyone,

Green, I honestly didn't know what the ASM #121 sells/sold for in the past. I just knew the Alex Ross cover from memory. That was actually the first book I found and knew I wanted when I was going through the boxes. If I knew it was under priced, I wouldn't have said anything. It means a lot that you followed through on a sale.

I saw you had two copies of #72, so I picked the cheaper copy and then found the #29 before going to pay. If I would've known the pricing on the #121, I wouldn't have asked if there was room on the books.

Thank you for coming on here and explaining your line of thinking with the sale. If I knew that in the store, I would have definitely understood where you were coming from. Also, I know not everybody can offer discounts on books, but it just threw me off when there was a discount on two but then full price with three lol .But I understand if you were busy.

It means a lot that you came on here and told your side and apologized. When I posted this, I wasn't trying to bash anybody or any store - I was trying to figure out if anybody knew the reason it would be discounted/full. That's why I didn't list the name of the store or anything like that. I also apologize as well, and I'll definitely stop back by when I'm in town if I'm still welcome :hi:

This is a nice resolution.

I agree. chaseman sent me a nice PM which i will responding to. very soon in a likewise fashion. Just a slight misunderstanding, Im glad it got posted so it could get cleared up.

Its odd, i havnt looked at the forums but maybe 10 times in the last year or so. Not sure what made me look today, but im glad i did. I hope youve been well sean. :)

The cookies are $6.99 a pound (let's say, I forget exactly). So I go in figuring I'd get 3 or 4 different kinds to make up the pound.

I am told that if I mix them it will be $7.99 a pound (despite there not being a pound minimum or anything like that).

I tell them that makes no sense blah blah, but they won't budge.

I walk out and have not been back in about 8 years.

Are you sure they didn't have a Pokemon game going on at the time?

where I live it might have been an ISIS team meeting in the back....

rantrant

Hey, everyone,

Thanks Chase. Youre always welcome to come back.

I might be in the minority here, but I never understood the need to haggle at a retail store. All this drama over $4?

$7!!!

That's lunch!

I understand it's irritating for a retailer, but on the other hand, if you have a customer who likes to feel like he/she is getting a "deal" and that gives them incentive to shop more frequently, then it pays off. for a retailer, inventory turnover is the name of the game, within limits.

This is fun. Im the owner of the shop in question. Its AngryComics in Faeyetteville, NC

Before i begin my responses......did anyone look up an ASM 121 marvel legends variant on ebay before they blasted my ?

:)

I've blasted no asses here, :blush: but is this the comic in question:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=spiderman+121+legends&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspiderman+121+marvel+legends.TRS0&_nkw=spiderman+121+marvel+legends&_sacat=1

So, is about $20 the correct answer?

(shrug)

When im selling comics, i focus more on available copies for sale more than completed sales. Completed sales are a good resource that i do use, but im not selling books in the past.

Please tell me this is not an excuse for disregarding actual sales data just because the outcome was too low.

Why does anyone need an excuse to disregard actual sales data?

I'm not going to pay stupid money because someone else did and I wouldn't expect a seller to be obligated by history either.

Well, if you find a seller who doesn't price according to actual sales data, then good for you. You likely win. One the other hand, many dealers don't like to leave much meat on the bone

My local comic book shop pissed me off too! After waiting all morning in front of there store to pick up Power Rangers #1 (only becuase for PR#0 some people got it before me by getting there early)...I walk in to a marked up copy! I almost paid $30 after taxes for what the guy said was fair market price. I go home to find out I could have paid $10 shipped from ebay. This is for the 1/50 variant.

My local comic book shop pissed me off too! After waiting all morning in front of there store to pick up Power Rangers #1 (only becuase for PR#0 some people got it before me by getting there early)...I walk in to a marked up copy! I almost paid $30 after taxes for what the guy said was fair market price. I go home to find out I could have paid $10 shipped from ebay. This is for the 1/50 variant.

I've overpaid at shops, but I justify it by telling myself I'm supporting a small business. I usually do eBay but it's okay to pay more once in awhile to help the local comic shop I think. But if their customer service is lacking...guess that's a different story. Plus...sometimes it's nice to get to take it home right away other than playing the usps waiting game.

I might be in the minority here, but I never understood the need to haggle at a retail store. All this drama over $4?
I will if we're close to agreement and if there's no haggle on his end I'll just buy it anyway. If the price is too far off I just leave. Or if I'm feeling like an individual_without_enough_empathy I'll offer half what it's worth, which would be a tiny fraction of sticker price.