• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 + April 21-23 2017, It's Never Too Early or to late
4 4

207 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Red84 said:

Picked up my books from CGC and was happy with the grades on my Brick Bradford and Planet. I apparently keep undergrading as I predicted a 3.5 for the Brick and a 4.0 for the Planet  

shout out to @Dale Roberts for hooking me up with the Brick Bradford. 

Also had a great conversation with @bedrockcomics about the history of the Is This Tomorrow publication. Always happy to learn about comic book history. 

Finally picked up a random romance book for $20. Not something I normally buy but the cover really drew me in. 

IMG_5825.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

IMG_5827.PNG

Three nice pickups!

30 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Just walked in the door back from C2E2 yesterday. Rode Amtrak since Friday at about 1pm. Talk about being glad to be home. I'll post some of my goodies I picked up in a bit. Meanwhile I need a shower.

can't wait to see them :applause:

2 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I would have thought with improved turn around times that on site submissions would be down. 

The improved TATs affect the dealer onsite submissions, but the general public more than made up for it. I personally think it's a big win for CGC when non-dealers get more of a chance to enjoy being able to grade things onsite.

Submissions in general, both blue & yellow, were *way* up for the show - I've worked every C2E2 so far for CGC and it's never been anywhere close to being this busy.

Been wanting an original Mouse Guard piece for some time now. David Petersen was at the show and recently completed this. It's called "The Rose" it's of a female mouse called Moira. He is selling signed and numbered prints of it. He was nice enough to throw in a print and a Tshirt for my kid.

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

I obviously heard of Zombie Tramp, but not so much Doll Face here. Recently done by artist Bill McKay, it's the cover to issue #8 that hasn't even hit the Preview yet.  I got both the regular cover and the variant I guess you call it. He threw in a few signed prints of both versions. She's on the banner of his booth display. He really was diggin' her. Mine now

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

And lastly I've commissioned Andrew Pepoy to create something for me. We discussed it a bit over emails and more so in person yesterday. I gave him a deposit and maybe next month or next year I will have my first commission. 

I have always been a big fan of Andrews variant cover of Afterlife with Archie #1 ( he had prints and signed one for me per gratis). My idea for the commission is not a cover recreation but rather a cover recreation through the eyes of Archie. The finished piece will be an oversized and fully colored POV image as Archie is seeing Betty. It's gonna be tilted to the adult version, yet tasteful and classy. The image when completed should almost look like an unused cover and be a perfect compliment to the original. Similar in detail, style and color. We'll be seeing her from Archie's view point.

IMG_3624.JPG

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Been wanting an original Mouse Guard piece for some time now. David Petersen was at the show and recently completed this. It's called "The Rose" it's of a female mouse called Moira. He is selling signed and numbered prints of it. He was nice enough to throw in a print and a Tshirt for my kid.

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3618.JPG

:whatthe:

Oh yes................................ GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9 hours ago, mschmidt said:

The improved TATs affect the dealer onsite submissions, but the general public more than made up for it. I personally think it's a big win for CGC when non-dealers get more of a chance to enjoy being able to grade things onsite.

Submissions in general, both blue & yellow, were *way* up for the show - I've worked every C2E2 so far for CGC and it's never been anywhere close to being this busy.

I'm sure the TATs had some impact but if CGC was not in a tight grading period I'd think you would still see a ton of dealers getting books graded at the show.  For $25 a modern book it's only a few dollars more when you consider shipping cost back and forth so why wouldn't dealers still want to get books graded in a day?  The answer to me seems obvious - dealers want to prescreen since they have become scared of the grades they will get back.  I didn't see nearly as much books being picked up at CGC since I was not set up but the couple stacks I flipped thru had almost no 9.8s in them but a ton of 9.6s.

The general public just like getting a book graded and most don't have a clear idea of what grade they will get so I can understand why you would see an increase in that area.

Edited by 1Cool

37 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I'm sure the TATs had some impact but if CGC was not in a tight grading period I'd think you would still see a ton of dealers getting books graded at the show.  For $25 a modern book it's only a few dollars more when you consider shipping cost back and forth so why wouldn't dealers still want to get books graded in a day?  The answer to me seems obvious - dealers want to prescreen since they have become scared of the grades they will get back.  I didn't see nearly as much books being picked up at CGC since I was not set up but the couple stacks I flipped thru had almost no 9.8s in them but a ton of 9.6s.

The general public just like getting a book graded and most don't have a clear idea of what grade they will get so I can understand why you would see an increase in that area.

First, there were a fair number of dealers who had bigger books done at the show.  But that said, the dealers were not discussing how many they did or didn't do based on the tightness.  Folks like Bob and Greg and others have been routinely processing their books through the regular submission process, so it's exactly what Michael alluded to.  Also, I'm not sure there's this groundswell of feeling from a large number of the dealers that CGC is somehow extra tight.  In fact, there were several grades I felt were generous done at on site.  I only had a few books done and it had nothing to do with grading tighter or looser, just my ability to bring stuff to the show.  There were others in the same boat.  Didn't hear one comment from any of the major dealers about being "scared" to get books done.

In terms of the overall show, it was very strong.  Sales were off the wall at Bob's booth -- lots of customers and lots of keys sold as well as tons of box stock. It was nuts on Saturday.  And all weekend right up until the end of the show, lots of people buying.  There were also huge books (batman 1 etc) being offered at the show.  Interestingly, I felt most of the smaller dealers were the ones who were off on their prices (stores setting up etc) and most f the major dealers were on the money, and in some cases for keys etc., you had to pay market prices to get the books.  Greg I know sold a fair amount to retail folks.  Jamie Graham did well and was a buyer in the room as well.  Many books that were bought by dealers at the show were immediately flipped to retail customers.  I resold a few books to other dealers of things I picked up there.  The market seemed the strongest I've felt it for all material as demand seemed insatiable in many instances.  Crowds were big but because Reed does such a great job, I think it was incredibly well managed.  A really fun show.  CGC was indeed completely overwhelmed as I heard it -- but everything still ran efficiently.  Bravo to all involved.

17 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

First, there were a fair number of dealers who had bigger books done at the show.  But that said, the dealers were not discussing how many they did or didn't do based on the tightness.  Folks like Bob and Greg and others have been routinely processing their books through the regular submission process, so it's exactly what Michael alluded to.  Also, I'm not sure there's this groundswell of feeling from a large number of the dealers that CGC is somehow extra tight.  In fact, there were several grades I felt were generous done at on site.  I only had a few books done and it had nothing to do with grading tighter or looser, just my ability to bring stuff to the show.  There were others in the same boat.  Didn't hear one comment from any of the major dealers about being "scared" to get books done.

In terms of the overall show, it was very strong.  Sales were off the wall at Bob's booth -- lots of customers and lots of keys sold as well as tons of box stock. It was nuts on Saturday.  And all weekend right up until the end of the show, lots of people buying.  There were also huge books (batman 1 etc) being offered at the show.  Interestingly, I felt most of the smaller dealers were the ones who were off on their prices (stores setting up etc) and most f the major dealers were on the money, and in some cases for keys etc., you had to pay market prices to get the books.  Greg I know sold a fair amount to retail folks.  Jamie Graham did well and was a buyer in the room as well.  Many books that were bought by dealers at the show were immediately flipped to retail customers.  I resold a few books to other dealers of things I picked up there.  The market seemed the strongest I've felt it for all material as demand seemed insatiable in many instances.  Crowds were big but because Reed does such a great job, I think it was incredibly well managed.  A really fun show.  CGC was indeed completely overwhelmed as I heard it -- but everything still ran efficiently.  Bravo to all involved.

I only talked to a couple of the dealers on Saturday about grades coming back and none of them where big dealers like Dale or Bob so it's good to get more info.  Are you saying the dealers not swamping the onsite grading (evident by the onsite not filling up until later in the day) was caused by dealers not having books to grade since they already graded them in the regular process?  Baltimore limited dealers to 50 books and it still filled up available spots at Baltimore in a couple hours last year.  So most dealers had far less then 50 books that they would like to get back in a day for a few dollars more then it would cost to get them back in a couple weeks?  Just does not seem to add up to me but you had more direct contact with the heavy subbers then I did.

Edited by 1Cool

16 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I brought $1,200 hoping to find a dealer who had some discount boxes ripe for the picking like I saw in Baltimore and Heroes a couple years ago.  Sadly I was only able to spend $250 and was turned down on my couple discounts buys over the weekend.  I know dealers are not in the market to give me deals but when a offer of $100 cash for a GD/VG Conan 1 and Avengers 9 that was marked at $120 gets turned down (glad he did since $100 was probably more then I should have offered based on e-bay sales) it doesn't bode well.  As most bigger entertainment Cons I found the wall books to be crazy priced and the amount of quality $5 blow out books to be in short supply.  It's an early Con so I'm sure people where holding tight and I know how much booths are.  Definitely a huge Con with a ton of crowds and vendors but it definitely will not be a Con i return to as a buyer.

Buying at the show was terrible, and I was there Thursday morning. I bought a ton of $5 junk, but if you weren't the first one or two guys through a booth everything was gone. Missed out on some good stuff from Zapp and Ritter. Bottom line? You can't expect to show up at a big con like C2E2 on Friday or later and find a lot in the way of deals. It's only worth going during setup and only if you are comfortable being pushy....and then barely. 

*this is assuming you need a healthy discount to retail, which I do. 

Luckily other buying opportunities that weekend were much, much better. About done with big cons, unless I am in town anyway.

Edited by october