• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seller cancels Ebay order after 1-bid auction won/paid-for

51 posts in this topic

Yesterday I won an auction where I was the only bidder. It was a pretty good price for a rising value book.

Today seller cancels order and says:

"Hello, I am so unbelievably sorry. I have been having what has become beyond frustrating issues with my listing program and items that i have not had in stock for months are some how resurfacing in my auctions. I am working tirelessly to fix the issue, yet it seems that i can not seem to keep up as yet another item has slipped through the cracks. i feel awful that this has now happened again and i have to inform you that this item has not been in my stock for quite sometime. I am immediately refunding you and will unfortunately have to cancel the transaction. I hope that you understand and can accept my apology. With about 1000 items to go through i am doing my best to double check my listings/stock. Thank you and i hope you have a great day"

:censored:

I want to leave Negative FB but it says I have to wait a week.

Question - how often does this happen to YOU as a seller that you supposedly keep listing items for sale on ebay months after you ran out of stock?

AND - will I be able to leave negative fb for this "powerseller" for wasting almost a week of my time? (I could have been bidding on other books at that were selling at the same time but decided to ride this one instead).

:mad:

Sorry that's frustrating, has happened to me before as well. His excuse may or may not be true. However it doesn't matter, I would say just let it go and move on, don't leave any feedback even if you can...life is too short.

Just my two cents...

Let it go it does happen. Check back and see if the seller does re-list it then it might point to something else.

I think I have done this maybe once a year. Sometimes your inventory gets away from you.

:taptaptap:

Krap.

meh

It sounds like the seller is over his head with auctions he can't seem to control. He is probably using a program that auto-lists unsold items but has it check to auto-list everything, again I feel for the buyer in this case, and yes it could be an honest mistake on the part of the seller, but in my opinion, and as someone who has sold on eBay for 19 years, the seller should suspend all of his auctions and do a complete inventory based on what he has left to sell and what his auctions show he has and whatever he doesn't have he should remove those listings. Once he has everything in order, he then could resume his auctions and perhaps look further into his relisting program he is using which clearly must be having issues. Since he has admitted to having this problem in the past, he knows it exists so to avoid a problem, you stop and address it, so it doesn't occur again.

If I were you, I would not leave him negative feedback, at least for now. He did reach out to you and apologize and it could be a legit reason he gave to you, but you may want to mention to him in a nice way that perhaps he should suspend selling his stuff until he figures out what he has and what he doesn't to avoid this happening again.

I then would track his auctions for the next month or so, you have 60 days to leave feedback, if you see the very same book you were bidding on relisted at at a higher price, then clearly he wanted more for the book, then you can leave feedback then and block him from ever bidding on your items as well in case he wants to retaliate with negative feedback as a buyer on one of your auctions if you sell. Right now he cant leave you negative or neutral, eBay stripped that from us sellers in 2008, despite being incredibly unfair. But just watch his auctions and see if he relists the book again.

your time is more valuable than dwelling on this. Let it go and move on is my advice-- regardless of whether the seller is full of krap or not.

I've never had this happen to me on eBay but have encountered it on Amazon once with something I sold. It got relisted without my knowledge and I sent a refund and message to the buyer explaining as best I could what happened. I then went and reviewed all my listings to weed out any out of stock items (and there were a couple more as it turned out). I believe the error happened on Amazon's side of the equation.

anyway-- best to just stop thinking about it and move on. Maybe mention the seller in the EBAY BLOCKED thread for others to know to be wary of the seller.

your time is more valuable than dwelling on this. Let it go and move on is my advice-- regardless of whether the seller is full of krap or not.

probably the best advice for a large % of ebay issues - not forgiving the sellers that are donks - but really more because it is not worth the mental aggravation most of the time.

I did have the same thing happen with ebay once. No idea how - but several auctions that were cancelled ( I had cancelled myself) were part of an EBAY auto relist -and someone bought a book that I did not have. It is very frustrating on both ends - and unfortunately it does happen.

I've had it happen a few times as a buyer.

I won a lot of silver surfers cheap that the seller said they couldn't find.

I didn't believe it, even suggested that they might have sold it somewhere else for more.

I get refunded, and a week later the seller finds the books, contacts me, and offers them to me for the price I had won them at.

I felt bad for doubting their story.

So it can happen

I'd watch their listings for a while as others have suggested before leaving feedback.

If they were a good businessman, they would have offered you a discount on something else for the hassle. That's what happened to me on CCL last year.

Bought a bronze age Iron Man. The owner (ComicsWorld) contacted me and apologized saying it must have been sold in store and not updated on CCL. And he asked if I could send him a list of other comics I wanted, and he would see if he had any. He wound-up offering me a silver aged Iron man in better condition than the bronze aged one for a minor upcharge in cost (half off of his list) and I was happier to get the much harder find comic at less than what I was estimating.

It's bad practice for both parties to have the money bounce back and forth. No one is a winner in that case. The seller loses a sale, and the buyer loses confidence in that seller.

In my case, the seller probably lost a bit of profit on the IM #4. But he'll make up for it by selling more comics to me in the long run.

-Terry

It happened to me on a $10 book I needed for a class. It happens. If you don't really know for sure then try not to think the worst otherwise you think the worst of everyone.

Had that happened on me on eBay one time. I had this auction on my watch list of one book I was interested. Time went past, didn't bid on it. But then about a week later it come back re-listed with a higher price.

So I had it deleted off my wathing list and move on to find something else.

I won an auction for a bulk lot of prints from a dead universe almost nobody cares about earlier this year. After not shipping for a week I asked about it and they told me that they didn't have them in stock anymore and apologized and since then have listed hundreds of them, almost immediately after and had multiple listings on single still marked available that they didn't offer me to make good.

They just didn't want to sell them to me because I won the bulk lot for I think less than they what they were selling single ones for of the same print.

Really pissed me off.

He could do this with every other book he sells if he doesn't like the price. No one is ever going to know.

If this seller lists this same book again in the next month I will definitely come out from behind my keyboard, tie a camouflage rag around my head and open up a can of virtual internet-whoopass on that seller! :sumo:

He could do this with every other book he sells if he doesn't like the price. No one is ever going to know.

If this seller lists this same book again in the next month I will definitely come out from behind my keyboard, tie a camouflage rag around my head and open up a can of virtual internet-whoopass on that seller! :sumo:

What if he's still having problems with auto list?

I wouldn't neg.

The more I think about it, the more I believe you should place this report on the EBAY BLOCKED list thread so that others can know to be wary of this sellers behavior.

While he may have made a simple mistake, the fact that he had a bid on an item would draw his attention to it. He should have at that time made sure it was something he had available-- NOT after the winning bid posted.

Short of an oversight on his part, this does have the smell of someone not happy with his final sale price and pulling the rug out from under you. I wouldn't go as far as a negative on eBay-- but maybe a neutral with a message telling others "won auction, cancelled sale claiming they didn't have it"