• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspicious Batman #1 on Ebay
5 5

149 posts in this topic

While I’m bothered that someone is taken in by a scam, I’m bothered more so that scammers exist and prey upon those less informed in our hobby.  Certainly an expensive lesson learned on one hand for someone, but a windfall for the sort of person we don’t want in the comics hobby. Things are way out of balance if we don’t step in when we can. 2c

7 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

While I’m bothered that someone is taken in by a scam, I’m bothered more so that scammers exist and prey upon those less informed in our hobby.  Certainly an expensive lesson learned on one hand for someone, but a windfall for the sort of person we don’t want in the comics hobby. Things are way out of balance if we don’t step in when we can. 2c

I mean what do we all admire here?  heroes.  Heroes dont say well that old lady really should have been smarter, they want to protect the innocent dumb.

If Doc Ock swindled some dude out of a fortune spider man wouldnt say I love that guy anyway his mark must have had a lot of cheddar.

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

2 many scumbags on Ebay 

But how are they gonna lose their money of Ebay gives them that guarantee?

most likely they will not.  especially in the case of a new seller, who does not recieve the money until buyer confirms item recieved.
As @Buzzetta once said "they dont think that far ahead".

Edited by kav

I still don't understand the buying of pages thing... 

Anyone have a Tec 7 or Action 1 with brittle pages?  Let's smash it to crumbs and sell each flake in a locket for $100 each. 

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why auctions?   Wouldn’t it be easier to scam someone with a BIN?

Based on what I read on the first page of this thread, the idea for the scammer is not to let the item end but to get contact information and do the deal off ebay outside of goods & services protection.  If someone buys it the normal way, pays using goods & services their odds of a refund are much higher.  

With that said though, I don't get how there's no recourse to track the stolen money if someone does rip you off through friends & family.  If the amount was high enough they could even be looking at felony theft.  They need to transfer the money out of their bogus paypal and get it into a legit bank somewhere but how are these people transferring everything around without leaving a trace?  I can't imagine these are master embezzlers if they are low enough to be scamming for comics on ebay.  

24 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

They know that the chance of there being a criminal repercussion is about the same as Mr. Blutarsky's grade point average: 

even double secret probation does not deter them.

14 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You understand it, you just don't agree with it. 

Partially True... I understand the concept...

I don't understand the following: 

• Where are you finding these fair or poor condition books to begin with that you are breaking up?
  • Are they bidding on bound copies and breaking them up?
  • Are they bidding on restored copies and breaking them up? 
  • Should these pages command the prices that they do?
  • At what point is a reprint more valuable than a page from the book? 
  • Is there a growing market?  To what extent?  Superman 1 might be a book to break up but Superman    2?  3? I think someone had the page from ASM 42 encapsulated and signed by Romtia (Face it Tiger!)

So yeah... I disagree with part of it..., but don't understand the market surrounding it. 

5 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Anytime I see the words "Suspicious Batman #1" my mind immediately darts to the Alley Bat incident.

I recall the name but not the incident.  Refresh my memory please. 

17 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I still don't understand the buying of pages thing... 

Anyone have a Tec 7 or Action 1 with brittle pages?  Let's smash it to crumbs and sell each flake in a locket for $100 each. 

Well they do it with baseball bats and jerseys making them into sports cards so.....(shrug)