• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird Paypal Transaction

39 posts in this topic

So I was perusing some books this morning on Ebay before I left for work...I did not purchase anything. About 20 minutes later, Paypal sends me an email saying I paid for one of the books...!! Immediately I assumed someone hacked my account. But as the day progressed, no other unusual activity manifested itself. Plus, if someone hacked into my account, why would they buy a book I was looking at? Maybe to see if the account was legit? I was unable to get through to paypal so I messaged the seller who graciously refunded my purchase. Since then I have changed my password. Anyone else have anything happen like this?

So I was perusing some books this morning on Ebay before I left for work...I did not purchase anything. About 20 minutes later, Paypal sends me an email saying I paid for one of the books...!! Immediately I assumed someone hacked my account. But as the day progressed, no other unusual activity manifested itself. Plus, if someone hacked into my account, why would they buy a book I was looking at? Maybe to see if the account was legit? I was unable to get through to paypal so I messaged the seller who graciously refunded my purchase. Since then I have changed my password. Anyone else have anything happen like this?

Does anyone else in your family or anyone else living with you have access?

Do you have google remembering your paypal password or something?

If not I would definitely speak to paypal about how such a transaction went thru.

One time I had some art up for auction $250 or B/O. Someone offered $210 and I accepted. I sent him an invoice. He replied he did not want the offer he was just seeing what I would take. He was new. I explained to him once you give an offer and it is accepted that becomes a contract and you have bought the item-I told him I would cancel the transaction no problem. A month later paypal tells me payment received! For an cancelled item!

I messaged him oh you want the item great I will ship please confirm. No reply. So 2 weeks later I message I have not received a reply and will ship the item thx.

He replies I do not want the item and I did not pay for it. I tell him you did indeed pay for it and here's the transaction number.

What happened was ebay and paypal had split, so a cancelled item in ebay was not a cancelled item in paypal. He had several things he had bought and did a group payment, inadvertently paying me.

I've gotten a couple scam emails this last week about paypal, one said I had bought something from Britain, and they were alerting me to it, and the other said my account was restricted, I logged into paypal directly, and not from the emails, and both turned out to be BS