• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 100 9.2 and X-men 101 8.0, came back SS 8.0 and SS 7.0

101 posts in this topic

These two books were originally graded by CGC in October of 2015, X-men 100 was 9.2 and X-men 100 was 8.0

I carefully cracked them, prepped them in Mylites2 and Full back boards and cut whole for Claremont to sign at Long Beach Expo on Feb 21st.

Just got them back and they each came back a whole grade lower. I had some other books on the invoice that came back lower than expected as well.

I called CGC and they said I can send back to them with a "Re-holder" form and make a note on the form from to review these books. If the grade doesn't change, there's a $12 charge, no charge if the grade is changed. Has anyone ever had a grade reviewed by CGC and what have your findings been?

Thanks!

161206.jpg.71de23a3fc30dcf06460192ec7a14568.jpg

Blows - I'm a newbie but have talked to friends about whether we would ever open slabs and have them regraded, and it seems like it's not worth it. Could go up in grade, could go down in grade. Might as well save the hassle and fees.

They are just grading tight. Sux but that's how it goes
Or perhaps the period of 'loose grading' has ended, and now they are grading correctly

I personally avoid books graded 5 or 6 years ago

That's a chance anyone takes resubmitting books.

At least they are willing to work with you and take a look at them again.

So take it as a positive and resub them and hopefully you'll have better results (back to the original grades) and post them on here.

How did the #100 go from white pages to off-white to white?

:ohnoez::tonofbricks:

-J.

lol !!

White Page advocates will find some excuse to dismiss the change in PQ..

waiting for the obligatory " CCG is grading tight now, thus MY white pages are more scarce!"

anytime I think the book won't regrade higher i send the old label back. I have never received a lower grade when I did this although one time I did receive a .5 bump so its not absolute. You take your chances on a resub but I surprised by this level of deviation from the former grades.

How did the #100 go from white pages to off-white to white?

:ohnoez::tonofbricks:

-J.

lol !!

White Page advocates will find some excuse to dismiss the change in PQ..

waiting for the obligatory " CCG is grading tight now, thus MY white pages are more scarce!"

A lot of older books graded OW/W are indistinguishable from W books when cracked open. That may be one of the reasons why pedigrees tend to fetch such premiums as many of them have snow white pages that really stand out.

maybe they took off for the writing on the cover .... lol

I was never a fan of writing on the cover, just me. If I had writing on any of my key books they would be on the back covers.

not a sig guy myself. much prefer a neat sig in pen on the splash page to those huge ugly black marker sigs that dominate the cover. Some of stan' and Jack's sigs in pen are pretty sharp looking but when they are done in marker they just look like scribble to me.

The SS game on books you have already spent encapsulating (or paid to get encapsulated) is a dangerous one, but I guess you are doing this for personal enjoyment not making money, at least in the short term. Claremont wouldn't make any money on a not high grade book anyway, right?

maybe they took off for the writing on the cover .... lol

Thanks for stating what many of us were thinking. The placement of the signatures really seem to take away from the eye appeal on these. A nicely placed signature, using the right colored marker against the background of the book, can look so pretty. However, in this case, it's not happening. I don't play the SS game so I honestly don't know. Does the placement of the signatures effect the grade ? Supposedly, on a regular submission, CGC does not take into consideration the eye appeal. Centering, staple placement, etc are ignored. But the signatures are not original to the book. Perhaps they do consider eye appeal on SS ? (shrug)