• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 100 9.2 and X-men 101 8.0, came back SS 8.0 and SS 7.0

101 posts in this topic

The signature is not going to affect the grade, and certainly not from a 9.2 to an 8.0.

This is not strict grading, this is new graders.

Don't they have a standard or baseline they follow?

The signature is not going to affect the grade, and certainly not from a 9.2 to an 8.0.

I'd still like the OP to divulge the notes. Since they both significantly went down in grade, perhaps they were both dropped in the process somewhere ?

I'd still like the OP to divulge the notes. Since they both significantly went down in grade, perhaps they were both dropped in the process somewhere ?

I agree the answer may be more apparent from the grader notes. I've always sent the original blue label in for the yellow label regrade. Maybe I'm lucky, but my yellow labels have all returned the same grade

It's possible.

As for sending in the label...it's not supposed to have any effect on the grade or the grading process.

It's possible.

As for sending in the label...it's not supposed to have any effect on the grade or the grading process.

Remembering the situation where a blue label came back as Purple, Harshen came on the Boards and stated you should send the book in the slab, let them crack it out. Not being a SS player, can the book be cracked out of the slab by the SS representative ?

It's possible.

Remembering the situation where a blue label came back as Purple, Harshen came on the Boards and stated you should send the book in the slab, let them crack it out. Not being a SS player, can the book be cracked out of the slab by the SS representative ?

I don't know what you mean by SS representative. You mean witness?

It's possible.

At comic cons, CGC reps will not de-slab a book, however, they will show you how do it. A rep will witness you de-slab the book and will stay with you(and the book) and witness the sig. They will walk with you to the person signing the book and stand in line with you. This way they can ensure the de-slabbed book is the same one being signed. If the line for the sig is very long, they will hold the book for you while you stand in line. When you are close to the front of the line, you can go get the rep who has the book and they will stand to watch the book signed. You just need to hope a friendly person will hold your spot(this usually isn't a issue). The book or books then are carried back to the cgc booth by the rep to be registered. They ask you to include the blue label with the book to be regraded so it can be taken out of the registry as a blue label. It's a pretty straight forward to remove the book when they show you the proper way to do it. I've found the CGC reps great guys and gals at the cons. I'm not sure how third party sig services like NYcomics work as I have never used one. Hope this helps

It's possible.

At comic cons, CGC reps will not de-slab a book, however, they will show you how do it. A rep will witness you de-slab the book and will stay with you(and the book) and witness the sig. They will walk with you to the person signing the book and stand in line with you. This way they can ensure the de-slabbed book is the same one being signed. If the line for the sig is very long, they will hold the book for you while you stand in line. When you are close to the front of the line, you can go get the rep who has the book and they will stand to watch the book signed. You just need to hope a friendly person will hold your spot(this usually isn't a issue). The book or books then are carried back to the cgc booth by the rep to be registered. They ask you to include the blue label with the book to be regraded so it can be taken out of the registry as a blue label. It's a pretty straight forward to remove the book when they show you the proper way to do it. I've found the CGC reps great guys and gals at the cons. I'm not sure how third party sig services like NYcomics work as I have never used one. Hope this helps

Yes, it does. So, it sounds like the rep witnessing you deslab the book and passing along the old label would be the proper way to go about it. Good to know. Thanks.

Scans of the books in the blue label slabs would help, if they are available.

With additional graders they can take the time to apply their grading rules more accurately. While it sucks for the OP on these two books, I am hoping that this leads to much tighter grading on GA and SA keys/hot books than we have seen the past few years. There are a bunch of key books out there that are so fugly for their stated grade that you had to wonder how much time was spent looking at them. When the graders are swamped but still have to push the books out, loose grading happens.

It's possible.

Yes, it does. So, it sounds like the rep witnessing you deslab the book and passing along the old label would be the proper way to go about it. Good to know. Thanks.

I wanted to also say thanks to the post you responded to, and note that there are way too many variables to just throw this at "new graders".

Looking forward to a report on what the graders notes are tho.

I'm holding my breath....starting......NOW.

:popcorn:

It's possible.

I wanted to also say thanks to the post you responded to, and note that there are way too many variables to just throw this at "new graders".

Looking forward to a report on what the graders notes are tho.

I'm holding my breath....starting......NOW.

:popcorn:

This isn't as isolated as it appears. Read the "current CGC turnaround times" thread in Comics General from the past few weeks.

I'm not saying anything isn't possible. From what I've seen the OP post, I think it's completely plausible that he slipped up somehow taking those books out the slabs.

I'm sure he was careful. How can I judge that from where I'm sitting?

You can't. No one can.

However....the drop from 9.2 to 8.0 is fairly drastic, and would require quite a bit of slip, and SS guys are....generally...the most cognizant about being extremely careful about handling books, especially their own.

Possible? Sure, anything's possible.

Likely...? Ehhhh, I dunno.

These two books were originally graded by CGC in October of 2015, X-men 100 was 9.2 and X-men 100 was 8.0

I carefully cracked them, prepped them in Mylites2 and Full back boards and cut whole for Claremont to sign at Long Beach Expo on Feb 21st.

Just got them back and they each came back a whole grade lower. I had some other books on the invoice that came back lower than expected as well.

I called CGC and they said I can send back to them with a "Re-holder" form and make a note on the form from to review these books. If the grade doesn't change, there's a $12 charge, no charge if the grade is changed. Has anyone ever had a grade reviewed by CGC and what have your findings been?

Thanks!

By chance did you have these pressed during re-sub?

No, I didn't have them pressed again. They were pressed when I had them graded the first time and I got them back in October of 2015. So I had the slabs for about 5 months before I cracked and submitted at Long Beach in Feb

Grader notes on 101 are:

Right Bottom Back Cover Small Piece Out

Spine Stress Lines

100 are:

Bottom Back Cover Fingerprints

Left Bottom Front Cover Bend

Spine Stress Lines

With additional graders they can take the time to apply their grading rules more accurately.

I understand. However, one would think there is a "veteran" grader overseeing these new hires.