• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 100 9.2 and X-men 101 8.0, came back SS 8.0 and SS 7.0

101 posts in this topic

Interestingly enough, Claremont prefers to sing on the logo. He's been known to take a book out of signature prepped bag to sign on the logo if the window someone cut if elsewhere, even the CGC guy at the booth said since they were doing a private singing for him that day

No, I didn't have them pressed again. They were pressed when I had them graded the first time and I got them back in October of 2015. So I had the slabs for about 5 months before I cracked and submitted at Long Beach in Feb

Oh man this would make me so :frustrated:

Grader notes on 101 are:

Right Bottom Back Cover Small Piece Out

Spine Stress Lines

100 are:

Bottom Back Cover Fingerprints

Left Bottom Front Cover Bend

Spine Stress Lines

Assuming these are the current notes, and without knowing what the original notes said, I have a theory. Notice both of the books state spine stress lines. If the book was pressed when originally submitted, the spine stress lines were probably 'fixed'. Wait the 5 months and the memory of those spine stress lines return for this submission. This could be the result of a 'bad' press. It happens.

Grader notes on 101 are:

Right Bottom Back Cover Small Piece Out

Spine Stress Lines

100 are:

Bottom Back Cover Fingerprints

Left Bottom Front Cover Bend

Spine Stress Lines

Assuming these are the current notes, and without knowing what the original notes said, I have a theory. Notice both of the books state spine stress lines. If the book was pressed when originally submitted, the spine stress lines were probably 'fixed'. Wait the 5 months and the memory of those spine stress lines return for this submission. This could be the result of a 'bad' press. It happens.

Couple of things..."paper memory bounceback" usually asserts itself within a couple of days, at most, of a press, if it happens. If these were slabbed on-site, then yes, it could have bounced back in the slab, but he says they weren't slabbed on-site.

However....9.2 to 8.0 is incredibly extreme for "bounceback", and while certainly possible, seems a bit extreme to be likely.

It will be interesting how the regrade turns out.

As I mentioned my Wolverine 1 limited series came dropped from a 9.6 white pages to a 9.4 ow/w. Also from the LBE show. It was graded twice as a 9.6 within a year. 1st as a blue label. Then as a yellow label in November. However now that I got it back from LBE I can see why it is a 9.4 now. Looks like issues that were pressed before have resurfaced. I'm probably going to send to CCS and hope for the best.

Found out my 9.8 pre screen had 80% pass. Which has been my average for the last couple of years. Most of those were copper age.

So what I am sensing is...we need a fourth party to grade our books before we send it off to a third party, because said third party was either inconsistent in the past, or they now have new people who are grading 'tighter' than old people at the third party. Which leads you, the first party to be disgruntled because you may one day want to sell it to a second party, but the value may have just gone down, because the third party really should have been monitored by an experienced fourth party.

So what I am sensing is...we need a fourth party to grade our books before we send it off to a third party, because said third party was either inconsistent in the past, or they now have new people who are grading 'tighter' than old people at the third party. Which leads you, the first party to be disgruntled because you may one day want to sell it to a second party, but the value may have just gone down, because the third party really should have been monitored by an experienced fourth party.

By Joe I think you've got it!

OP paid CGC to give their opinion. Opinion received. End of story :sumo:

No, I didn't have them pressed again. They were pressed when I had them graded the first time and I got them back in October of 2015. So I had the slabs for about 5 months before I cracked and submitted at Long Beach in Feb

Are the defects you had pressed out the first time.....now visible? hm

By Joe I think you've got it!

Again what new finalizers?

New graders are not finalizers.

The signature is not going to affect the grade, and certainly not from a 9.2 to an 8.0.

This is not strict grading, this is new graders.

Don't they have a standard or baseline they follow?

With additional graders they can take the time to apply their grading rules more accurately.

I understand. However, one would think there is a "veteran" grader overseeing these new hires.

Correct, the head grader finalizes the grade.

Even so, grading is not an exact science and some occasional discrepancies will arise. i.e. a 9.2 to a 9.0.That would also be rare, IMO.

The odds that TWO books in a submission of TWO BOOKS getting downgraded are slim but compound that by the fact both books were downgraded by a full point is all the more far fetched.

What is more likely...in my opinion...is that some light mishandling occured after the books were cracked out.That caused the books to drop a point.

Claremont could have placed one of his hands close to the spine f the book while signing them.

Window bagged with M2's and Full Backs or not, it only takes a transient amount of pressure applied *even close* to a spine to cause enough stress to incur spine ticks.

Any number of things could have happened, a facilitator could have mishandled the books...

What would be helpful, is FC & BC scans of both books before they were cracked out along with FC & BC scans of both book after being signed & regraded.

Respective graders' notes would be helpful, also.

CGC is in one of their PMS grading moods right now. I recently CPR'd several slabs, all improved in appearance, and all but one came back with the same or lower grades. In fact one of them was just a straight crack and resub -- what I thought was an undergraded book in a cracked holder -- it went from 9.6 to 9.2.

Bottom line... CGC is being extra picky right now and not consistent with previous standards.

So heres the updated information.

CGC called me and senior graders agreed that the grading was "too strict"

the 9.2 that was graded 8.0 has been adjusted to 9.0

The 8.0 then went to a 7.0 has been turned back to 8.0

Thanks to the folks at CGC for correcting this issue.