• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 100 9.2 and X-men 101 8.0, came back SS 8.0 and SS 7.0

101 posts in this topic

I think it just proves how inconsistent a 9.8 vs 9.6 really is. The fact that going from a 9.8 vs 9.6 cuts the value IN HALF boggles my mind and the market is foolish for supporting those prices.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, 10,000 times YES. A 9.6 is NOT in "half as good condition" as a 9.8, yet this ridiculous market pays for the number, and not the book.

Time to bring out the 9.7, 9.5, 9.3, and 9.1, folks. It's LONG past time.

But hey, since I can't sell a 9.6 slab with a 9.8 book for a 9.8 price, I have NO problem selling a 9.8 slab with a 9.6 book for a 9.8 price. All pretty fair to me.

The downgrading of books seem to be going on a lot from CGC.

I have a DD 168 9.8 that went to a 9.6 after Miller signed it, and pressed. Not a huge drop but still I would have loved to retain the 9.8. This is my 4th book downgraded by CGC after a signature. Now it just doesn't seem to be worth it unless you have a Steve Ditko sign.

Yes, that's a massive loss. Sorry to hear it.

I have a DD 168 9.8 that went to a 9.6 after Miller signed it, and pressed. Not a huge drop but still I would have loved to retain the 9.8. This is my 4th book downgraded by CGC after a signature. Now it just doesn't seem to be worth it unless you have a Steve Ditko sign.

I thought there was a way for CGC to get a signature on an existing grade and just transfer it for reholder after signature?

Any reason you had it pressed when it was already a 9.8?

I thought there was a way for CGC to get a signature on an existing grade and just transfer it for reholder after signature?

No, there is no "guaranteed grade" program. All books subbed under Sig Series are regraded.

No, there is no "guaranteed grade" program. All books subbed under Sig Series are regarded.

Like Henry?

:jokealert:

So heres the updated information.

CGC called me and senior graders agreed that the grading was "too strict"

the 9.2 that was graded 8.0 has been adjusted to 9.0

The 8.0 then went to a 7.0 has been turned back to 8.0

Thanks to the folks at CGC for correcting this issue.

:facepalm:

Someone want to tell me again how CGC isn't being overly harsh right now? Those are huge swings in grade. Huge. That needs to be rectified quickly. I mean really even if Voldemort slabs are getting 10-15% less in price, if CGC is hammering books to this level for no good reason maybe its time to make a switch.

It does not always come down to a "time period" sometime opinion varies greatly within a few weeks time. Had a book submitted for a customer a few years ago at WW Philly and it comes back a 9.0. Book looked at least 9.4 so he was not happy. I held the book until WW Chicago that year and did a straight resub with no additional work to the book. That time it came back a 9.6.

Even so, grading is not an exact science and some occasional discrepancies will arise. i.e. a 9.2 to a 9.0.That would also be rare, IMO.

The odds that TWO books in a submission of TWO BOOKS getting downgraded are slim but compound that by the fact both books were downgraded by a full point is all the more far fetched.

CAK;

Well, based upon the apparent feedback from CGC, the odds of downgrading is not that far fetched after all. :gossip:

Although you might be correct that going from a 9.2 to a 9.0 might indeed be rare, since it might just be much more common to go from a 9.2 down to a 8.0. lol:tonofbricks:

Someone want to tell me again how CGC isn't being overly harsh right now? Those are huge swings in grade. Huge. That needs to be rectified quickly. I mean really even if Voldemort slabs are getting 10-15% less in price, if CGC is hammering books to this level for no good reason maybe its time to make a switch.

Not sure what you mean by no good reason? ???

Have you not already identified the reason in your own post and that it's really all about increasing their market share. By tightening up your grading to the extreme, does it not make the other company look totally incompetent and inferior when it comes to grading. This in turn results in higher prices for your product and lower prices for the competitor's product in "equivalent" grade. As already evident by the comments of many board member here, why in the world would you now submit books to a company that is inferior at grading and will only result in substantially lower prices for your auctions.

Unfortunately, this current intentional tightening of grading by CGC relative to the other company is also resulting in the unintended blowback of undergraded slabs as compared to their own previously graded books. hm:flamed:

It worries me that something can be resubmitted and come back lower but glad to see that CGC is recognizing this and willing to make amends. I hate the subjectivity but I guess it is what it is.

I believe it's a lot easier to make CGC recognize their "error", if you was smart enough to have kept your old labels:

Yea, I sent old labels too but I I did this in a short window of time. I think the longer you sit on it the worse off you are.
(thumbs u

It does not always come down to a "time period" sometime opinion varies greatly within a few weeks time. Had a book submitted for a customer a few years ago at WW Philly and it comes back a 9.0. Book looked at least 9.4 so he was not happy. I held the book until WW Chicago that year and did a straight resub with no additional work to the book. That time it came back a 9.6.

I strongly believe that professional grading should not be based upon luck of the draw or whether the company is intentionally going through a loose grading period or a tight grading period. It should simply be graded as accurately and as consistently as possible, irrespective of what else is happening in the marketplace. :wishluck:

I hope you are not implying that it would be alright for this 9.6 copy to come back as a 9.0 copy again with today's apparently much tighter grading, because it's simply nothing more than just an opinion and as such, can vary greatly from time to time. :(

I usually submit around 50-100 books every year. I've done this for the past 5 years. I've had about a 75-80% success rate on guessing grades. My last submission I got 13 out of 56 right. All 43 of those I missed were lower than my guess but 2. Those 2 were one grade above. Quite a few were 9.0s and 9.2s that were imo easy 9.4-9.6s. I know its a small sample but the difference in a 9.0 and 9.6 is pretty substantial. I also didnt receive one graders note on the entire submission. Thats a first. Im all for having tight grading but being tight to the point of changing the standards of grading is not a good thing.

I strongly believe that professional grading should not be based upon luck of the draw or whether the company is intentionally going through a loose grading period or a tight grading period. It should simply be graded as accurately and as consistently as possible, irrespective of what else is happening in the marketplace. :wishluck:

I hope you are not implying that it would be alright for this 9.6 copy to come back as a 9.0 copy again with today's apparently much tighter grading, because it's simply nothing more than just an opinion and as such, can vary greatly from time to time. :(

No, that is not what I was saying. Grading is not an exact science and a book should not be severely under graded or over graded. In some cases it happens for whatever reasons. That's why most who say this book looks a lot better than the assigned grade go ahead and resubmit it again. Since grading is not an exact science we will always have these swings.

No, that is not what I was saying. Grading is not an exact science and a book should not be severely under graded or over graded. In some cases it happens for whatever reasons. That's why most who say this book looks a lot better than the assigned grade go ahead and resubmit it again. Since grading is not an exact science we will always have these swings.

Totally agree with you that grading is not an exact science and it is normal to expect reasonable swings in grade.

The only problem I have is that going from 9.0 up to 9.6 or going from 9.2 down to 8.0 is well beyond reasonable for a professionally graded book that has had nothing done to it in the interim. :flamed:

Totally agree with you that grading is not an exact science and it is normal to expect reasonable swings in grade.

The only problem I have is that going from 9.0 up to 9.6 or going from 9.2 down to 8.0 is well beyond reasonable for a professionally graded book that has had nothing done to it in the interim. :flamed:

Yes.

Books I had graded in December and January, other than Moderns, came back a little to a lot lower than expected. I'm sitting on stacks of books until they get this sorted out. I also think it has to do with new graders. Even some moderns came back .2 to .4 lower than expected. 2c

I usually submit around 50-100 books every year. I've done this for the past 5 years. I've had about a 75-80% success rate on guessing grades. My last submission I got 13 out of 56 right. All 43 of those I missed were lower than my guess but 2. Those 2 were one grade above. Quite a few were 9.0s and 9.2s that were imo easy 9.4-9.6s. I know its a small sample but the difference in a 9.0 and 9.6 is pretty substantial. I also didnt receive one graders note on the entire submission. Thats a first. Im all for having tight grading but being tight to the point of changing the standards of grading is not a good thing.

:eek: Sorry to hear about your recent submission :(

I am really glad I pre-screened both of my recent submissions. I am prepared for the worst :tonofbricks:

:eek: Sorry to hear about your recent submission :(

I am really glad I pre-screened both of my recent submissions. I am prepared for the worst :tonofbricks:

I probably should of pre-screened them. From now on I will. Oh well, live and learn.

Preaching to the choir (thumbs u

Grading is obviously arbitrary and inconsistent

This is probably what bugs me the most.

It's like they take a look at the book and say,"This looks like an X.x"

And only if the errors are really bad do they take time to note them.

At this point I'd pretty much settle for anything that lets me know why the graders decided a book was a 9.4 or 9.6 as opposed to a 9.8.

Scribbles on a Post-It note stuck to each slab or even two rectangles with the letters F and B in the middle with a bunch of circles and arrows pointing to the different parts of the book that were downgraded.

Let me know what's causing the downgrade so that I can save my money and your time by not submitting books with those "flaws".