• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

It would appear there are more than a few that truly appreciate this movie, even with its shortcomings.

:cloud9:

Pa Kent should have been handled differently. But the Kryptonian invasion made for a very interesting tie-in between this movie and BvS: The Ultimate Cut. And a humongous challenge for Superman in tackling the World Engine to save Earth.

:whee:

Brainiac should have been handled differently implanting Braniac into the mind of KalEl dumb move. I am not sure if we were supposed to be watching The Hobbit or Superman in the beginning. Wooden actors in this film. Superman kills

Brainiac should have been handled differently implanting Braniac into the mind of KalEl dumb move. I am not sure if we were supposed to be watching The Hobbit or Superman in the beginning. Wooden actors in this film. Superman kills

Hey, that's a good catch! Thanks for sharing.

Brainiac Was Strongly Teased in Man of Steel and Here's Why

Brainiac symbol on Kryptonian armor and technology

brainiac-was-strongly-teased-in-man-of-steel-and-here-s-why.jpg

Brainiac's symbol is plastered all over the Kryptonian outposts where Zod and his soldiers received there technology and armor.

I never noticed the Brainiac symbol on the armor.

doh!

It would appear there are more than a few that truly appreciate this movie, even with its shortcomings.

Pa Kent should have been handled differently. But the Kryptonian invasion made for a very interesting tie-in between this movie and BvS: The Ultimate Cut. And a humongous challenge for Superman in tackling the World Engine to save Earth.

You mean the Codex, of course :) There's a similarity between the Codex and the version of Brainiac in Superman: The Animated Series, however nothing to suggest the Codex is Brainiac.

I believe this is just an easter egg.

I think I'm the only one who found the Pa Kent death scene quite moving. What I felt was that Jonathan knew that if Clark saved him - which I accept he could have done so in a blink - that he would likely have then tried to save others and, in doing so, reveal his powers. It was more important to Pa that his son's anonymity was preserved. I was touched by Costner's acting - when he raised his hand and shook his head it brought a lump to my throat. I did like it and thought it fit in with the overall mood of the film.

I had a lot of issues with the film, and many more w bvs, but I was fine w the pa Kent thing. It rang true of the uncertainty and insecurities Clark might still have had at the time. And seemed reasonable as his ongoing motivation. My main issue is that I ended up wishing I was watching a movie about Lois searching for superman, rather than the actual superman movie we got. Her gradual discovery of superman was so compelling that it made the other parts noticeably weaker to me.

I think that's my main gripe with the dceu movies so far. There's some good stuff in there, but I can't help feeling like there's a similar but better movie in there somewhere, but we're not getting it.

I think I'm the only one who found the Pa Kent death scene quite moving. What I felt was that Jonathan knew that if Clark saved him - which I accept he could have done so in a blink - that he would likely have then tried to save others and, in doing so, reveal his powers. It was more important to Pa that his son's anonymity was preserved. I was touched by Costner's acting - when he raised his hand and shook his head it brought a lump to my throat. I did like it and thought it fit in with the overall mood of the film.

I had a lot of issues with the film, and many more w bvs, but I was fine w the pa Kent thing. It rang true of the uncertainty and insecurities Clark might still have had at the time. And seemed reasonable as his ongoing motivation. My main issue is that I ended up wishing I was watching a movie about Lois searching for superman, rather than the actual superman movie we got. Her gradual discovery of superman was so compelling that it made the other parts noticeably weaker to me.

I think that's my main gripe with the dceu movies so far. There's some good stuff in there, but I can't help feeling like there's a similar but better movie in there somewhere, but we're not getting it.

I get what you're saying here. I often come out of films thinking that there was a better one just waiting to be made (I'm 100% certain that my own Rogue One plot would've been a much better movie, but then again wouldn't anyone's!?) and I like your Lois searching angle.

The only thing I would change about BvS though would be to lose the dream sequences. They were the only real jarring points for me.

...The only thing I would change about BvS though would be to lose the dream sequences. They were the only real jarring points for me...

That's an interesting point you raise there. I liked the dream sequence (and consider it a taste of things to come) however did we really need it?

What I'd like to see is a whole movie based around the dream sequence concept... Future Bats up against Rogue Supes, where neither are playing by the usual rules.

Someone get me WB on the phone! ;)

No you aren't. There are at least two of us. (thumbs u

...The only thing I would change about BvS though would be to lose the dream sequences. They were the only real jarring points for me...

That's an interesting point you raise there. I liked the dream sequence (and consider it a taste of things to come) however did we really need it?

What I'd like to see is a whole movie based around the dream sequence concept... Future Bats up against Rogue Supes, where neither are playing by the usual rules.

I liked it too, in isolation, but I missed what it added to the film. It seemed to break the flow for me and the double dream was a bit clunky.

Hold on, I've got the head of WB on the other line..... :cool:

No you aren't. There are at least two of us. (thumbs u

Emotional souls unite! :headbang::headbang:

And watch the people who hated this BvS movie explode! If they didn't like this movie because the characters didn't behave like Batman and Superman, the movie you propose, which sounds cool to me btw, would garner even more hatred.

I know many people will disagree with me on Man of Steel, but many of the problems the movie seemed to have, are problems that seem to be spreading to other films in the DCEU.

1. Meandering plots that are trying to cram too much stuff into one film. I have not had trouble following the central plot in the slightest, quiet the opposite, the central plot at times seem almost overly simplistic, but the need to stuff way to many sub plot into a short time frame. Many of which are vague and often unresolved.

2. One is leading to problem number two. The many sub plots lead to a jumbled often disjointed film. As stated this is not a fault of the central plot, but the clutter the other plots create.

3. Visuals over substance. To me the end of MoS was just plain repetitive and boring. While the first fight sequence was fun to see a comic book Superman fight, the final fight sequence was overly long, and repetitive. The neat effects that were shown in the first main battle became constantly repeated in the final. There are only so many ripped up sidewalks and knocked over building you can see before you do not care anymore. The movies have looked good, but lacked depth.

4. Character development has been lacking. What has been offered often seems forced and shallow. For the record I despised the Pa Kent death scene.

5. Lois Lane is the plot device for everything. It seems whenever the writer needed the plot to move or advance, and they were not sure how to get it there, Lois would pop up regardless if there was any logic for her to be there. This applies to BvS also.

6. We need a likable character to latch onto. Just one person. This is even more important if you want to present a darker movie. One truly likable character provides the ray of light you need.

I watched the first half of MoS, and liked it, and the first main fight in Smallville was great, by the end I never wanted to see the film again. The final fight, resolution, and handling of Pa Kent just left me cold.

Edited by drotto

...Batman V Superman is way too cold and cynical to be considered a comic book movie. It had plenty of wonder, but I figured out what it was missing... a sense of humor. Why so serious? ...

Nice one giggle.gif

But I have to say, that's why I liked it. I enjoyed the dark tone to the movie. Then again, I'm just a grumpy old bas.....

I like dark-toned funnybook movies mind you.

The Crow

Batman Returns

The Dark Night

My thing was Synder didn't know how to balance the themes so well in any version of this, like a more gifted filmmaker could and not worry about merchandise and Happy Meals sales.

Which is odd because he remade one of the best horror sequels of all time into his own vision that almost can be considered an equal in some regards.

I'm sure down the road, we will here about the studio pressure and how he caved in to it, denouncing his efforts on it.

That will be quite the "suckerpunch" to fans on here who gave the theatrical cut an 8 out of 10 in a poll a while back.

Or, they may chalk it up to what they liked you didn't appreciate. So why would that be a 'suckerpunch' - because you don't think like they do?

What is odd are folks that feel like it is crazy someone can appreciate the DCEU movies. That seems to be more the trend here, rather than people saying you can't disli

ke these movies. For some, these are going to work. For others, not.

Folks find it crazy that someone goes through this length to stick up fora mediocre film and try to treat this film like it is some kind of masterpiece that deserved Best Picture.

Cool special effects and fight sequences don't make a great film. A film needs a superb plot, fantastic acting, and a music score that drives it everything else else falls beneath this. Man of Steel had a good score off the areas that count. The only other thing Man of Steel had going for it was Snyder's unique cinematography style that is always pleasing to see in the big screen, but that does not make this a good film. The Toxic Avenger is a masterpiece compared to this film

Speaking of Toxic Avenger it`s on my Amazon Prime on demand for free. Should I watch it? I never seen any of these Toxic Avenger movies. Someone told me I should at least watch the first two? hm

watch Toxic Avenger, Citizen Toxie: Toxic Avenger IV the middle two are terrible when they were under a big corporate umbrella essentially making adult films marketed towards kids

Thanks I will check them out over the weekend.

I concur it was a very entertaining for what it was.

Not to threadcap,but saw Toxic Avenger 1 over the weekend and liked it. Very violent,but yet funny. This was my first Troma film. I kinda compare Toxic Avenger 1 to Robocop 1, as in dark humor,with a tone of bleakness.

6 year anniversary today.

Man of Steel 6-Year Anniversary: Why It's Still a Great Superman Movie

Today, June 14, 2019, marks the six-year anniversary of the release of Man of Steel in theaters. Zack Snyder's Superman reboot was the very first chapter in the DC Extended Universe franchise - a franchise which ultimately never fulfilled the potential it started with, and has ultimately gone nowhere.

However, even though the DCEU saga that Snyder envisioned never came to fruition, it doesn't change the fact that Man of Steel is a milestone superhero movie that continues to hold a place of reverence in the hearts and minds of so many DC Comics fans. Despite all of the obvious controversy and debate that hangs over it to this day, Man of Steel is a great Superman movie - possibly one of the best Superman stories ever told. We here at Comicbook.com (specifically this writer) have made the argument for why Man of Steel is a great and often underrated film many times before. You can check out the full breakdown of the film and its various parts by clicking the link above - but for the quick version, let's look back over Man of Steel from the span of six years removed, to see why this modern Superman origin story holds up so well.

In an era where being "woke" about the plights of the oppressed, or underrepresented communities of the world, is now a sweeping social trend, it's hard to ignore the feat that Zack Snyder accomplished back in the early 2010s. With Man of Steel, Snyder took the Superman metaphor and reworked it entirely; instead of echoing the kind of "classic American" nostalgia that would make the MAGA crowd happy, Snyder took the bold approach of making the story of Clark Kent/Superman a metaphor for minority groups of all kinds - including the immigrant and LGBTQ communities that are now at the heart of modern social-progression campaigns. Never before had fans seen Clark Kent's childhood from the perspective of being "closeted" or repressive in such a way, and the hero's journey of self-discovery and finding his place in the modern world meant so much to those in society struggling with those same issues of identity and placement. Suddenly, "Superman" was an ideal achievable by anyone, not just those who fit the classic mold of "All-American" ideals. That transition was incredibly important - and it's often those who were effectively 'brought into the tent' by Snyder's re-imagining, who have been the most vocal about appreciating Man of Steel in the years since its release.

While it's true that Man of Steel courted some controversy for divisive storytelling decisions (Pa Kent's death, Superman's killing of Zod), it's important to note just how long, and passionately, these divisive moments have been debated in the six years since the film's release. For comparison, you don't hear many impassioned defenses of Batman v Superman's infamous "Martha Moment" - but you do hear fans debating why Kevin Costner's Jonathan Kent allowed himself to die (instead of Clark saving him); or why Superman killing Zod was a necessary part of the character's evolution into a more wholesome hero. No matter how you feel about the decisions Snyder made with his version of Superman (one way or another), you have to admit that Man of Steel has provoked more discussion about the hero's character and mythos than just about any other modern Superman story that's come along. For some fans, that debate has reaffirmed why the classic version of Superman is so beloved; for other fans, Snyder introduced a much more complicated version of the hero that was needed for modern times. The fact that these two sides feel equally passionate about the matter, proves that Snyder made something artistically significant with his film, love it or hate it.

Finally, Snyder re-invented aspects of the Superman mythos in ways we've never seen, from his relationship with Lois, to the limitations of his power, to the entire backstory and mythos of Krypton and its people. These changes weren't all frivolous: the mythos that Snyder established provided foundation for the entire DCEU to be built on. From the existence of Bruce Wayne/Batman and Lex Luthor before their debut in Batman v Superman, to the first threads of what we now see would've been an epic arc of Superman dying at Doomsday's hands, and being reborn as the classic version of himself, in order to help the Justice League beat the threat of Darkseid and Apokolips. Man of Steel sowed all the seeds of the DCEU that Snyder wanted to grow - if only he had the chance.