• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

It was a controversial ending. So controversial that it still divides a fanbase, to this day. Zack Snyder ends his Man of Steel with Superman (Henry Cavill) killing his enemy, Zod (Michael Shannon). It was an act that devastated Kal-El. But it was essential… even though a certain sect of Superman fans feel their hero should never kill, under any circumstance.

We scoured the Internet and didn’t see Michael Shannon’s opinion on Snyder’s decision to have Zod killed. So when the actor joined the ReelBlend podcast recently to discuss his upcoming film The Quarry, we asked him if he thought that Zod’s death was unnecessary. He candidly answered:

"No, I didn't think there was any other way to end, it, really. I mean, Zod says it's either me or you. I'm not gonna let you survive. I will kill you, unless you kill me. And that seemed sufficiently Greek to me, you know?"

On 8/26/2019 at 2:56 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

There is one good Superman movie and it came out in 1978.

Come on!  Superman 2 was awesome.  Doesn't hold up particularly well, but it was great back in the day.  And it still works on a nostalgic level.  

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Come on!  Superman 2 was awesome.  Doesn't hold up particularly well, but it was great back in the day.  And it still works on a nostalgic level.  

I have both versions of Superman 2, and like to watch them both periodically. Would have loved to see a finished Donner Cut, but it still makes for a fun viewing.

The only thing I don't like about Superman 2 is that his gives up his powers. Also, I saw the movie when I was a kid and that scene bothered and scared me. I love the movie though, I still have the record I purchased from back then.

Today, our own Chris Bumbray talked to the awesome Michael Shannon for his new film THE QUARRY (our review HERE), the topic of working with Zack Snyder came up and Shannon had much praise to share in working with the director and expressed his feelings on "what happened" to Snyder, which presumably is the fallout that Snyder had over his butchered theatrical release of JUSTICE LEAGUE amidst the family tragedy he suffered and subsequent exit from the DC Films Universe.

"I love working with Zack Snyder and I think it's very sad-he's been through a lot of hardship recently-I don't know what happened with that whole DC thing. I think it's a shame. I mean, his vision for MAN OF STEEL I thought was incredible. I don't know how that all went off the rails, but I think it's a shame."

Shannon went on to say that he doesn't know what went down that led to Snyder's exit from DC and gives some insight as to how involved he was with Snyder's BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE...

"I don't know what happened. People think I'm in BATMAN V SUPERMAN, which I guess I am, for like fifteen seconds. I'm mainly in BATMAN V SUPERMAN as a giant, naked, rubber dummy, which I didn't have anything to do with really."