• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BA #12 on Comic Book Men

40 posts in this topic

I'm not a regular viewer of the show (12 a.m. Monday??), and this was the first episode I've watched in a couple of years (Kevin Smith has lost a lot of weight since my last episode).

However, in past episodes the offers put out by Walt have been for the most part in the ballpark of what something is worth or what a real comic shop owner would quote in my opinion.

I know it's scripted, and there could be a lot of other stuff going on behind the scenes, but that seemed to be twice the value of the book. I was expecting him to offer $150 to $200, which is probably what a real comic shop owner would've offered.

Never seen this show. Glad i haven't bothered as i really haven't ever heard anything positive about it. A group of boardies probably could put together a comics show that would be a lot more interesting.

Now a show that really highlighted high end collecting with interviews from heavyweights in the field, buying trips at conventions , auctions, and trips to hobbyists with amazing collections might hold my interest if it was done well.

It seems to all be more or less fake. Without giving any details, I have a friend who was involved with an episode and the interactions are planned in advance, rehearsed and coordinated to make it the most entertaining it can be.

And that's what it's supposed to be - entertainment! But I really would not recommend taking anything on that show too seriously.

A friend of mine was on the show about 4 years ago and he told me that was his experience, as well.

I also know the guy who came into the store and passed on a $700 for what looked to be a 7.5-ish raw copy of BA 12.He's a dealer/flipper from NY, I met him last year at Big Apple who likely wanted to appear on the show for the experience/kicks or whatever.

The show is meant for entertainment.Anyone who wants to infer FMV of any given book, from the show, is not firing on all cylinders.

Walt and Mike, in the segments I have seen on the show, invariably wether they are buying or selling...their evaluations and prices that they pay for books, and the prices that they sell books, are either too low or too high.

I could tell it was staged when they didn't inspect the (obviously tattered) condition. I was like "Walt won't go more than 5" and then he's up to 7 and the dude says no? :ohnoez:

They needed a reason to discuss Kevin's daughters name I think.

well time constraints wouldn't really allow you to show someone examining the book thoroughly. Most times it appears the book has at the very least been taken out of the bag. The tiny closeup they showed seemed to have significant spine wear on it-- hard to imagine that book being better than a 5.0 for that alone.

But I agree that it was clearly staged and for the point of giving Kevin's daughter the spotlight. It would be cool to hear from Baltimore Lauren about her experience with the show- though her book was CGC.

Is Toy Hunter still on? I've looked for it but can't find. What channel?

:cry:http://toynewsi.com/news.php?itemid=23243

Makes sense why I can't find it.

Like probably half their customers, I asked Jordan and his sidekick about the prospects of the show returning at NYCC last year. Got the impression that on cable at least it is done for good. There is a bit of talk of it possibly returning as a web series if I understood them correctly.

Watched Comic Book Men today. My guess was that the seller would ask $500 for it and Walt would offer $250. He might have been thinking he could get $800 for it in his store and that it would be a quick sale. But another poster was right - the book wasn't in good shape.

The weirdest part is these guys have podcasts that are actually based in reality.

Kevin has Fatman on Batman and Mike and Ming do I Sell Comics and they are talking about all the topics everyone here is mad doesn't appear on the TV show,

The TV show is for the masses, the podcasts are for the hobbyists... I watch/listen to all of them,

Some of the Fatman on Batman epsiodes are fantastic! Interviews with Denny O'Neil, Neal Adams, Paul Dini, etc are all solid listens.

Totally, there are episodes with Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Joe Quesada, Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison etc it's great listening.

I Sell Comics has guests as well, Mike Carbonaro was on most recently before the big apple con.

I hate to break it to anyone that doesn't already know, these shows aren't real. Pawn Stars, This, all of them, they are all staged and scripted (by and large). The book was probably something they just yanked out of inventory and had the actor "bring it in" for sale.

I hate to break it to anyone that doesn't already know, these shows aren't real. Pawn Stars, This, all of them, they are all staged and scripted (by and large). The book was probably something they just yanked out of inventory and had the actor "bring it in" for sale.

I don't think anyone is arguing that any of these reality shows are real.

However, your post got me thinking....

One show comes to mind that is as real as a reality show can probably get. If you get the chance to watch "Alone" on the History channel, you might come to the same conclusion. What they did in season 1 at least-- was take a dozen or so guys and drop them in a section of Canadian wilderness with their own camera equipment.They were instructed to create their own video and last as long as they could. Last man standing wins the whole thing. But no one knew how many were left. There were no interactions with anyone-- just a single guy out in his 5 -10 square mile section of woods by themselves to fend for themselves. If they tapped out-- they could use a satellite phone or something like that to call in to be taken out-at which point they would get picked up. I think as time went on, they did probably have to be replenished on camera batteries/equipment as needed.

It was kind of interesting and well edited together. After they were down to 5 or 6 guys left-- some of the former contestants would watch an episode together and talk about the show (this was a bonus directors type show in addition to the regular broadcast). The show is doing a second season and it sounds like there are some women on this season. Should be interesting.

Now if you had the patience to have some cameras available and picking up multiple comic book store interactions live-- you might be able to put together a real representation of a comic book store. I would like to see something like that made-- but then shear number of hours of video you would have to edit would be huge.