• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Frazetta Motherload
7 7

571 posts in this topic

My completely unscientific thoughts are $1,500 is probably on the low side for adding value to any book at this point from what I'm seeing.

I think you could get one of the death dealer comics for $1200-1500 no problem. Three or four of those got done. Since they have literally no value unsigned.

My completely unscientific thoughts are $1,500 is probably on the low side for adding value to any book at this point from what I'm seeing.

I think you could get one of the death dealer comics for $1200-1500 no problem. Three or four of those got done. Since they have literally no value unsigned.

I would be happy to pay that if I ever saw one. This would be awesome.

610363.jpg

Assuming a book is worth $100 raw in whatever grade, what would a Frazetta Signature Series of that book be worth?

(Is there a general consensus on the value of the Frazetta S/S?)

$1500, at least. And the higher grade the book, or the more rare the book is in grade, the more base value I would put on it. So, you may be able to get a 9.8 Blue Vampi #1 for $100, but I think that is a $1500 -1800 book.

GPA on a Vampi #1 in 8.5 in 2014 was about $450. RMA got $2800 for his 8.5 Frazetta SS copy.

Right around that time, I got an offer of $3500 for my 9.0 with a GPA around $700 for blue.

So an absolute beater .5 Thunda or Weird Fantasy book might fetch $1500, but a 5.5 or an 8.0 would see a much greater spread on the "value" of the Frazetta book, because it is a better vehicle for the sig.

I agree there's a lot that goes into it. A tough book, or top census, etc. combined with the signature can set off some big numbers. His classic comic and magazine covers do the same.

This is my magazine that I handpicked and subbed during the original Frazetta opp. It's a top census copy and one of his Classic covers that was originally on Vampirella 9. I chose this 9.8 copy over the 6.0-8.0 copies of Vampi 9 I could find.

Eerie8798ss_zps5e753a9e.jpg

Mercy. (worship)

I would be happy to pay that if I ever saw one. This would be awesome.

610363.jpg

11cfc0.gif

The 2008 Frazetta signature series were obtained by Brian Kondravy. This article says there might have been as few as 50. Do we know the final count?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/ViewArticle.aspx?IDArticle=1031

The 2009 Frazetta signature series were obtained by Sean McLoughlin. Do we have a total from that event?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/enews/2009/April/article7.asp

This was posted in another thread talking about Frazetta sig series by user NYComics. He is the one actually selling all the books I posted that are on ebay right now.

Hey!

I just did a re-read of this awesome thread.

As Rockmyamadeus said there were about 120-125 Frazetta CGC SS done total. Chainnball did 1 signing and we did 2.

We ultimately hoarded between 17-20 books.

A good friend of ours on the boards here Makmorn who is also an insane Frazetta Fan helped us acquire some of the finest copies of his covers that we could find.

We are now finally moving on and trying to acquire more key Marvel books.

Our listing prices are high but this is for advertising reasons and we also have best offer available on the lisitngs.

Thanks for looking, this is a great chance to add some one of a kind pristine CGC SS Books to your collection.

-Sean

Thanks. So, 120-125 Frazetta CGC SS total from three signings. hm

That's enough to see them sell once in a while, but nowhere near enough for demand.

Besides the 17-20 that NYcomics held back, I would assume most are in permanent collections.

That's enough to see them sell once in a while, but nowhere near enough for demand.

Besides the 17-20 that NYcomics held back, I would assume most are in permanent collections.

One of the really interesting things about the Frazettas is the percentage of the total number of books that Makmorn and NYC have. They have almost 25% of the total right there. They have never been available to anyone. A lot of the first ones that were done were sold within the first four months and have never been seen again (let's say another 25%). I usually know where most of the good stuff in SS is, and I have no idea where those books are.

There are only 10 listed on MSC, and a lot of times that is good place to get beginning data on rare SS.

I think the X factor is that the Frazetta SS interest folks who have no other interest in SS.

One of the really interesting things about the Frazettas is the percentage of the total number of books that Makmorn and NYC have. They have almost 25% of the total right there. They have never been available to anyone. A lot of the first ones that were done were sold within the first four months and have never been seen again (let's say another 25%). I usually know where most of the good stuff in SS is, and I have no idea where those books are.

There are only 10 listed on MSC, and a lot of times that is good place to get beginning data on rare SS.

I think the X factor is that the Frazetta SS interest folks who have no other interest in SS.

That's all true, especially that last part. Frank was commanding and regularly getting a very high price for his signature on anything (books, posters, prints) several years before he died.

Even a book like this (that I traded for) has value when, without the sigs, would probably not be anything someone was necessarily seeking out....

Frazetta%20Weird%20Science%2029009_zpsazomw1jx.jpg

Think this is the only one of these he signed...

Eerie3ss.jpg

Ever since I saw this painting in the museum this book became one that I needed to get done.

I never got the chance and I have always wanted this.

I have to give ol' Makmorn credit. The man knows his magazines. He taught my partner Chris and I so much and we really owe him a ton of credit for being able to acquire some VERY rare horror mags.

And I hears ya on the prices but SeanF. said anything I would say.

We sold a couple of under copies of these books a few years ago on ebay and did pretty well.