• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Frazetta Motherload
7 7

571 posts in this topic

The Frazetta books were completed in two signings - one by my friend Brian (chainnball) and a subsequent signing by the guys at NYComics. One in 2009 and one in 2010.  Each and every CGC SS Frazetta book came from one of those two signings. There is no comprehensive database for SS because of the difficulty (back in the day) of collecting and summarizing the data.  It is possible to track down the information that was put in threads at the time of the two signings by doing searches in the Sig Room.  The threads are incredible and so are the books. For any of you that reaaaaaly want the data, most of it is contained in those threads.  

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

And the number is only decreasing as insufficiently_thoughtful_persons crack them out of slabs. Ok I know of only one case of this but still.  I think the number is around 100-150 books for two signings. It is somewhere on this board. 

There were 4 signings...one in May of 2008 by chainnball (the first), another in July of 08, one in Jan of 09, and the last in May of 2009. Chainnball was the man who made it all possible. Without him, there would be no Frazetta SS. That's why it's important to get this stuff signed. Creators are leaving us.

The number of Frazetta SS is *about* 125. 

Someone cracked out a yellow label Frazetta...?

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There were 4 signings...one in May of 2008 by chainnball (the first), another in July of 08, one in Jan of 09, and the last in May of 2009. Chainnball was the man who made it all possible. Without him, there would be no Frazetta SS. That's why it's important to get this stuff signed. Creators are leaving us.

The number of Frazetta SS is *about* 125. 

Someone cracked out a yellow label Frazetta...?

Yep, I already have evidence of 3 signings. Meaning there were more than two. I have spent time documenting info from any source I can find. However, my spreadsheet only contains 65 books so far. Why would people in the know want to keep it a secret?

5 hours ago, seanfingh said:

The Frazetta books were completed in two signings - one by my friend Brian (chainnball) and a subsequent signing by the guys at NYComics. One in 2009 and one in 2010.  Each and every CGC SS Frazetta book came from one of those two signings. There is no comprehensive database for SS because of the difficulty (back in the day) of collecting and summarizing the data.  It is possible to track down the information that was put in threads at the time of the two signings by doing searches in the Sig Room.  The threads are incredible and so are the books. For any of you that reaaaaaly want the data, most of it is contained in those threads.  

Incorrect

2 hours ago, icefires said:

Yep, I already have evidence of 3 signings. Meaning there were more than two. I have spent time documenting info from any source I can find. However, my spreadsheet only contains 65 books so far. Why would people in the know want to keep it a secret?

Maybe they had a batch of stuff signed themselves, and haven't really mentioned it anywhere. CGC sort of has a monopoly on the whole endeavor and why should they be trusted not to have their own interests in keeping totals a secret? Just playing devil's advocate here as I have no proof one way or the other, but why trust any company that exists to foment collectibility of a certain kind and assume they won't take advantage of their position? It's happened before!

3 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

All signed by Frazetta? 

Good point.hm 

That I don't know. I'm sure there are more than a few signed by Adams.

But it's as good as a place to start as any.

Edited by stippy52

10 minutes ago, stippy52 said:

Good point.hm 

That I don't know. I'm sure there are more than a few signed by Adams.

But it's as good as a place to start as any.

No they are not. That is the problem. There is a single sig Neal Adams on eBay right now that is part of this census. 

18 minutes ago, wpbooks01 said:

Maybe they had a batch of stuff signed themselves, and haven't really mentioned it anywhere. CGC sort of has a monopoly on the whole endeavor and why should they be trusted not to have their own interests in keeping totals a secret? Just playing devil's advocate here as I have no proof one way or the other, but why trust any company that exists to foment collectibility of a certain kind and assume they won't take advantage of their position? It's happened before!

CGC still has a monopoly IMO. That is, you can buy a green label Vamp 1 on eBay that is clearly a real Frazetta sig, but it sits unsold. Heritage sold a good number of green label signed books from the Frazetta estate that way underperformed the yellow label equivalents. I know why I held off on the latter, even with that provenance. 

Also, I know the collector that has many of the really rare pieces including the highest graded Vamp # 1. He recently had that, and several others recased. Having seen the newer cases I don't think that is a good thing. I have two newer graded items that are both Newton ring fields.

Edited by cstojano