• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official: To Neg or Not to Neg (aka No You Probably Shouldn't) Thread

58 posts in this topic

Okay, so here's my situation:

I found a very good deal on eBay for a pre-code horror comic. The seller listed it as a Buy-It-Now. Within minutes of the comic showing up on eBay, I hit the BIN and paid for the comic. (The seller sells mostly household items but has other comics listed.)

I was really excited about this transaction since it's a cool comic I like, and the price was way under the market value. A week passed, no comic. I looked on eBay and saw that no tracking information had been submitted. Nor had the comic been marked as shipped. It was already a couple days after the estimated arrival time, so I clicked to send a question to the seller.

When you click to inquire about your item's shipment, the eBay system automatically funnels you into opening a case. I went ahead and opened the case, and asked for the item to be shipped. I also wrote a note in the space provided, politely saying I was just inquiring, and please let me know the status, etc.

A few days later, I got an automatic email from PayPal saying a full refund had been issued. The seller did not send a note or offer explanation. I sent the seller a comment and said something like, "Hey -- I didn't want a refund, I wanted the comic. What happened here? I still want to buy the comic, so let me know what's going on."

A day or two passed, with no response. So I asked again, still being polite. The seller replied, saying that the comic had been stolen from the inventory, or possibly accidentally discarded. Since the seller's photos for various items all seem to show the interior of a home, I'm not sure how the item could have been "stolen from inventory."

What I believe occurred is that either (1) the seller realized he/she had undervalued the comic, and decided not to send it, or (2) the seller got an after-the-fact, higher-$$$ offer from somebody who tried to hit the BIN but was thwarted by me, or was looking at her "sold items" list. Of course, that's my theory only.

I did ask the seller how a comic in her possession, and listed on eBay, could possibly have been stolen or thrown out. She has ceased communicating with me. The only communications I've received at all from this seller was the single message saying, "I believe this was stolen from my inventory last week. After searching throughout, there is only the options of theft or accidentally discarded."

So the question here is: Do I neg the seller? The experience has been negative, with 10+ days of waiting around, minimal communication, and a disappointing outcome. Also, I feel like the seller's explanation is on the level of "the dog ate my homework." But a neg is a serious thing, and the seller's current rating is 100%. So.....I'm interested to know what others here think.

I would not give feedback at all, saving the option of the neg just in case they put it up for sale again.

I really don't like leaving negs but one thing that sends me thru the roof is being ignored by someone I paid money to.

After being ignored twice yeah I think I would have left a neg

"No comic shipped, seller ignores messages. Bad"

My thinking is if they don't care, I don't care.

Any seller that cares even if they pulled a fast one would COMMUNICATE>

I really don't like leaving negs but one thing that sends me thru the roof is being ignored by someone I paid money to.

After being ignored twice yeah I think I would have left a neg

"No comic shipped, seller ignores messages. Bad"

My thinking is if they don't care, I don't care.

Any seller that cares even if they pulled a fast one would COMMUNICATE>

Or when they communicate but don't read what you wrote. Seller's response to me the other day really pissed me off even though I wasn't upset to begin with.

As an ebay buyer/seller myself I would just move on and not leave any feedback right now. However if the seller relists the magically "unstolen" comic within the 60 window you have to leave feed back let the negative review run wild. Also if they list it again, try to buy it again even at the new higher price and demand to pay the original price.

As an ebay buyer/seller myself I would just move on and not leave any feedback right now. However if the seller relists the magically "unstolen" comic within the 60 window you have to leave feed back let the negative review run wild. Also if they list it again, try to buy it again even at the new higher price and demand to pay the original price.

Most of the time, I agree with not leaving feedback in certain situations. But can you really see the seller's side here? They kept money for over a week with no communication whatsoever until the buyer messaged them. Then all of a sudden, they claim the comic was stolen. As a seller, if somebody bought a book and paid me, within a day I'd dig the book out to package up and ship. If it was gone, I would immediately contact the buyer, issue a refund, and apologize. Taking so long to realize a book is "gone" and not communicating really looks bad for this seller. I would at least leave a neutral if not a negative.

Most of the time, I agree with not leaving feedback in certain situations. But can you really see the seller's side here? They kept money for over a week with no communication whatsoever until the buyer messaged them. Then all of a sudden, they claim the comic was stolen. As a seller, if somebody bought a book and paid me, within a day I'd dig the book out to package up and ship. If it was gone, I would immediately contact the buyer, issue a refund, and apologize. Taking so long to realize a book is "gone" and not communicating really looks bad for this seller. I would at least leave a neutral if not a negative.

Yes the seller is wrong and should be avoided. However I feel the situation would have to be much worse to justify leaving a negative feed back. Such as fraud, no refund, etc.

Unfortunately you did not get a great deal on a comic maybe next time.

Sounds like the seller , obviously not a cimoc dealer, realized they had a far more valuable book (as the OP said himself) and they wised up.

If I did not know much about comics and had a $750 (arbitrary figure) pre-code horror book and priced it at $20 or $50 ( arbitrary figures) BIN , I would feel salty after being told the book was worth much more than the buyer paid me for it.

I would not blame the seller, if that were the case.

What would strike me as possibly neg or nutral worthy was that the seller didn't refund me intil an wBay case was started.

Both the OP and the seller had just cause to be unhappy but as the OP did get his money back, I would just chalk it up to a loss and move on.

If an old lady was about to sell you AF 15 at a yard sale and someone told her what it was worth and she snatched it back would you give her a neg?