• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official: To Neg or Not to Neg (aka No You Probably Shouldn't) Thread

58 posts in this topic

If an old lady was about to sell you AF 15 at a yard sale and someone told her what it was worth and she snatched it back would you give her a neg?

A neg?

Not quite.

I'd throw my crumpled up twenty into her left hand and wrench the AF 15 out of her arthritic right hand.

lol

Humor aside, you pretty much made my point.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. It's over now because the seller wrote me a really nasty and uncalled-for message (through eBay), after I asked for more of an explanation regarding the theft. So I negged him/her for abusive customer service. Made the decision really easy.

I figure the seller realized the comic was worth more, and his/her comments to me made it clear that's the reason for this situation. Unfortunately, the seller was noncommunicative, then rude. If they had told me they made a mistake in pricing, I probably would have left no feedback, or neutral at worst. I've been in similar shoes and I'm ready to be sympathetic when somebody makes an honest mistake.

Instead, the seller elected to lie outright and claim the comic was stolen. So on top of waiting around, then being disappointed, I have to accept somebody lying to me and insulting my intelligence in the process? The seller actually seemed to be angry at me for wanting to buy from him/her.

So.....neg left. Note that I haven't negged somebody in several years. I don't take any pleasure in it.

If I already paid her I would have let the air out of the tires on her rascal scooter if she snatched AF 15 back. :sumo:

But seriously I listed a shadow pulp a long time ago on eBay and it got Binned within a hour of listing it so I knew I put it up too cheap.

I honoured the sale because what else could I do? I could not see myself backing so I could make a few extra bucks.

If I already paid her I would have let the air out of the tires on her rascal scooter if she snatched AF 15 back. :sumo:

But seriously I listed a shadow pulp a long time ago on eBay and it got Binned within a hour of listing it so I knew I put it up too cheap.

I honoured the sale because what else could I do? I could not see myself backing so I could make a few extra bucks.

Putting a book up too "cheaply" , and selling it within an hour, does not automatically equate into the book being worth multiples of what you sold it for.

It could judt mean that the buyer had that Shadow pulp on his "following" search list and it popped up on his phone.

No other copies available at the time, and it would sell, if priced near FMV.

It'd probably sell if it was priced above perceived FMV, in that instance.

Shadow pulps aren't incredibly common but in the GD to VG range, they are for the most part. pretty much $50 to $100 a pop.

At least they were, the last time I had any Shadow pulps for sale.

So yeah, I'd honor the sale and keep that in mind, the next time I came across Shadow pulps .

At the risk of being flamed, I am still am unsure if the seller deserved a neg.

The seller already yook a hit to her DSR , which can hurt her on several fronts.

Less of an eBay discount and her listings get dropped lower down the page in search results.

The seller may have though the buyer was now trying yo get a valuable book from her for way less than it's worth, while getting a hit to her DSR in the process.

Maybe she has 3 kids and sells on eBay to help make ends meet.....WTF knows.

That could explain her lack of initial response and her salty email.

Note I am not saying it would justify her response as she certainly should not have sent such a message.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. It's over now because the seller wrote me a really nasty and uncalled-for message (through eBay), after I asked for more of an explanation regarding the theft. So I negged him/her for abusive customer service. Made the decision really easy.

I figure the seller realized the comic was worth more, and his/her comments to me made it clear that's the reason for this situation. Unfortunately, the seller was noncommunicative, then rude. If they had told me they made a mistake in pricing, I probably would have left no feedback, or neutral at worst. I've been in similar shoes and I'm ready to be sympathetic when somebody makes an honest mistake.

Instead, the seller elected to lie outright and claim the comic was stolen. So on top of waiting around, then being disappointed, I have to accept somebody lying to me and insulting my intelligence in the process? The seller actually seemed to be angry at me for wanting to buy from him/her.

So.....neg left. Note that I haven't negged somebody in several years. I don't take any pleasure in it.

What was the message? :popcorn:

lol

I have been lucky and only had good deals on EBay - so I have never had an occasion to consider negative feedback. However, what is the "negative feedback" option for if not for a situation like this? THe seller listed a book, it was sold, no communication for a week and only when forced by Ebay, and it looks like they just decided not to honour the sale and even if it was truly lost, then why would you list it prior to confirming you still had it? If you list it too low and it sells that is your fault - honour the deal and if you don't then negative feedback.

I guess my question is for those saying not to leave negative feedback and move on - what in your opinion stops this from being a negative feedback situation? I hear a lot of complaints about Ebay on these boards and a lot of horror stories but then everyone says "don't leave a negative - just move on". Maybe this is why Ebay has degraded as it has - because the buyers aren't being the check and balance they are supposed to be?

Putting a book up too "cheaply" , and selling it within an hour, does not automatically equate into the book being worth multiples of what you sold it for.

It could judt mean that the buyer had that Shadow pulp on his "following" search list and it popped up on his phone.

No other copies available at the time, and it would sell, if priced near FMV.

It'd probably sell if it was priced above perceived FMV, in that instance.

Shadow pulps aren't incredibly common but in the GD to VG range, they are for the most part. pretty much $50 to $100 a pop.

At least they were, the last time I had any Shadow pulps for sale.

So yeah, I'd honor the sale and keep that in mind, the next time I came across Shadow pulps .

At the risk of being flamed, I am still am unsure if the seller deserved a neg.

The seller already yook a hit to her DSR , which can hurt her on several fronts.

Less of an eBay discount and her listings get dropped lower down the page in search results.

The seller may have though the buyer was now trying yo get a valuable book from her for way less than it's worth, while getting a hit to her DSR in the process.

Maybe she has 3 kids and sells on eBay to help make ends meet.....WTF knows.

That could explain her lack of initial response and her salty email.

Note I am not saying it would justify her response as she certainly should not have sent such a message.

snl%20david%20spade.jpg

They're called paragraphs, look into it.

Joke killer... you're a joke killer. Your joke was the equivalent of poor white trash moving into a nice neighbourhood & bringing property values down.

OGlZ1J0.gif

-slym ( :baiting:;) )

Well duh

Failure to complete deal and failure to initiate communication with buyer explaining why deal cannot be completed = negative feedback

Neutral feedback if he actually made an effort to contact you, as it would allow future buyers to be informed of the seller's shenanigans..

Leaving no feedback just encourages the seller to do it again.

I guess most people assume that the seller pulled the listing or didn't go through on the sale because they feel like they sold for too little.

I automatically assume their teenage son stole it to sell for pot. The seller is mad that she is a single mother raising a burnout who will never leave the house and now he is stealing from her when he isn't playing video games.

Am I the only one who partied in trailer park city as a teenager? :insane: I knew plenty of kids who did this to their parents, uncles, grandparents, step parents, brothers, and kissin' cousins.

Failure to complete deal and failure to initiate communication with buyer explaining why deal cannot be completed = negative feedback

Agree 100%. If you're not going to leave negative feedback in this situation, what the heck would it take?!?

I guess most people assume that the seller pulled the listing or didn't go through on the sale because they feel like they sold for too little.

I automatically assume their teenage son stole it to sell for pot. The seller is mad that she is a single mother raising a burnout who will never leave the house and now he is stealing from her when he isn't playing video games.

If the teen son sold it for pot, then the mom deserves a neg for not giving him a "pot allowance."

What was the message? :popcorn:lol

For entertainment value only, here is the message:

"I am in disbelief at the entitlement you feel. Not unlike that of a clingy hysterical girlfriend who was dumped and is now obsessed with some form of vindication.

I owe you no explanation, you have no authority and your presumption that you are being lied to is so sad that I’m not going to take insult to you repeatedly insinuating that I am a liar.

When I said that this comic was stolen from my inventory, this is what I mean.

There are so many things wrong with your assumption that it’s a waste of my time to address it, and it’s only my hope that you’ll become a better human being that I address your neurotic messages at all.

After looking into it further, my assumption of why you are so upset is because of how big of a steal you were going to make on this comic and because of this dishonest behavior and your self-righteous entitled neurotic messages that, instead of hooking you up with good deals on any other purchases, I’ve decided to not ever sell to you, because I assume any future transaction with you would be stressful and made to be as difficult as possible by you. I ask you to never message me again, and I am contacting eBay to block you or any “troll” account you would possibly create to render some sort of revenge for the “wrong done to you” in your delusional view of the world, when you don’t get what you want.

Sorry that my loss of property inconvenienced you, and I hope you get a glimpse of what your equivalent to a temper tantrum looks like to others when making wild assumptions. I hope you find help, or at the very least, some peace."

----------

The above was in response to me saying that I felt the "stolen from inventory" explanation was inadequate. Mind you, the above is the 2nd communication received from the seller. The first communication consisted of a sentence or two that said something like, "the comic was stolen from inventory, or was accidentally discarded. Sorry."

I interpret the part where she wrote about "how big of a steal you were going to make" as a tacit admission that she backed out of the deal due to seller's remorse and nothing more.

If she had written me not long after purchase to say, "Look, I messed up on the pricing. I can't go through with this deal. I'm really sorry and will give you an immediate refund," I would probably have been very annoyed, but I wouldn't give a neg. The 10 days of silence, followed by the "my dog ate my homework" explanation, followed by the above....she earned her neg.